Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

why does the baby boomer generation suck so bad

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Assuming what you wrote is correct, why would a business motivated by profit hire people it bought out unless of course there were no qualified candidates to fill in. You think they handed out 250k to make people feel good? Having a pension ,SS and 401k is not fucking up retirement either.
    Sounds like a bunch of unsuccessful cry babies around here. Of course wealth is distributed unequally.
    Old people always have had more. There expenses are generally less and they don’t buy shit.
    I stand by my assessment of a bunch of miserable babies around here. In one breath everyone complains ikon made their Mountain crowded in the next breath it’s no one has money under 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it’s a public company they remove long term liability from balance sheet. Or, perhaps they are looking to get acquired. It’s much easier for an acquirer to cut cost when long term liability is removed. The senior management is also looking to maximize its profit in a liquidity event.

They have to pay severance anyway if they were to lay them off not to mention the health care costs.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    wouldn’t Sandy be a better location? many bros already there so there’s a temp work force, building materials close by, must be a mediocre tile outlet and there is room to grow.
    Bob, this is the kind forward thinking that may be lacking among the millennials.

I don't know who makes up all these generational categories, they seem kinda arbitrary. It used to be classified by age, 20's, 30's, 40's, etc., which I thought was easy to figure out for most people. It's a bit like gender assignments today. Everybody wants to belong to some ever narrowing sub-group, then they complain about being treated differently. Gender fluid? Used to be someone who liked banging both chicks and dudes, which they did a lot in Roman times. Some people think this is a newly discovered lifestyle and needs to be labelled as such.

I think the world would be a whole lot better off if people didn't worry so much about giving themselves an identity or worry about what one group has that the other doesn't. Young people have health, which is priceless, and for which lots of old, rich people would give their entire fortune. Do your own goddamn thing to make yourself or the world a better (not bitter) place and stop blaming others for what you don't have.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    God made those categories fwiw.
    Then we shall honor and glorify them. I retract my post.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

I don't know who makes up all these generational categories, they seem kinda arbitrary..
    Almost Victorian...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    The future has always been scary. Boomers grew up during the Cold War doing regular drills hiding under their school desks in case of a nuclear attack. Based on the world today I'd guess that SS is the least of your worries.
    Not entirely true. We hid down in the school basement with all the peeling asbestos covered pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    unfortunately the booomers cry the loudest and whine endlessly when they don't get their way, they have all this free time that I don't have to sit and bitch and bitch until they have things their way, talk about a spoiled rotten group of people
    Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Tell folks who served in Vietnam and are suffering from agent orange exposure or Desert Storm vets who were hanging ass shoulder to shoulder over a rope with dysentery or resperatory disease from burning oil wells, or the soldiers stations in Balad, Iraq who breathed in fumes from a 10 acre open air burn pit of 200 tons of waste per day about how soft they are.

War is horrible and to keep it on topic, the Boomers having suffered through the Vietnam era should have known better than get us involved in the longest war in US history.
    Neither Bush nor Cheney got anywhere near Vietnam. (I didn't serve either) Rumsfeld wasn't a boomer--he was a navy pilot in the 50's, between wars. There's something to be said for universal military service--there would have been no Afghanistan or Iraq wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Fine. Perhaps we can help fastfred pick out some backsplash tile for this lady then?

We're just wasting time pointing fingers here. Let's get the fuck to work and make freddie some $$. Poor fucker's gonna need some savings when Social Security and Medicare go under.
    FWIW we did our own tile backsplash. OK, my wife did it.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Not only this -- compare the wealth of boomers to any other generation. They may only make up 23% of the population, but they control a large majority of wealth and major institutions in this country -- be they large corporations or political institutions.

People who think just because someone is in the minority of sheer numbers mean that the other groups can easily attain power are the ones that need a history lesson.
    The elders will always be the wealthiest (as opposed to having the highest incomes). Wealth takes time to accumulate. A large part of boomers' wealth is in their houses, which have appreciated dramatically in value. As those houses pass to their heirs at stepped up basis the wealth they represent will become millennial wealth. Another large source of wealth is in retirement accounts--much of which will be spent down as boomers age and will again pass to millennials as the boomers die, if there's anything left. However, given that such a huge portion of the wealth in this country is owned by such a tiny percentage of people, comparing the wealth of various generations as a whole is a meaningless exercise.

why does the baby boomer generation suck so bad

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yer gonna pin a Supreme Court appointment in 1971 on Boomers? Less than have of the cohort could even vote then. Presidents from Eisenhower up until Clinton were Greatest Generation

Federal budget was in balance or a surplus 13 years in the last 90. And Reagan was a Greatest Generation Prez

Yup, this I agree with. The Laffer Curve supporting Reagan’s cuts is a joke, but as you remember, times were pretty tough in 1980, so tax cuts made some sense.

Boomers got married and had Millenials. Kinda hard to simultaneously man the barricades and manage your job, spousal relationship and kids life to the fullest extent necessary. Boomers were the first generation where both spouses had to work to support a family, making social activism time difficult. And Boomers couldn’t protest by Tweet the way Millennials can today

This.
    If millennials want to blame something for their reduced opportunity, blame computer technology and China for taking all the low-end jobs.
    Seriously dude. The metric conversion act was signed in 1975, then cancelled by RR in 82. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metr...s#20th_century. Boomers and silent generation objected to it.

The majority of boomers have opposed national healthcare, since the 90s at minimum. Even today when most boomers are on single payer the selfish bastards say, well this works great for me but if we let YOU in it will water down my benefits that I paid for with loans you will repay for me.

The election of bush took place in 2000 and 2004, when the vast majority and large majority of millennials couldn’t vote. Those who did overwhelmingly didn’t support Bush. Majority of boomers supported Bush. So your argument here is that even though most of us couldn’t vote and didn’t support Bush and the WOT, we should have mobilized to offset the shitty decisions the boomers were making. And somehow the millennials are equally to blame for policies we opposed and boomers supported?

Yea the boomers were young when the war on drugs started but the majority supported it for their entire lives.

To add to the list, how about boomers continuing to deny climate change in the face of overwhelming evidence... https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-generation/. Even those who say anthropogenic climate change is real are largely unwilling to act on it if it has any negative effect on them.

Boomers are completely unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. In one breath they blame George Bush on the millennials, in the next they say the war on drugs isn’t their fault because they weren’t old enough to influence politics when it started. I don’t know what is wrong with elders these days.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Seriously dude. The metric conversion act was signed in 1975, then cancelled by RR in 82. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metr...s#20th_century. Boomers and silent generation objected to it.

The majority of boomers have opposed national healthcare, since the 90s at minimum. Even today when most boomers are on single payer the selfish bastards say, well this works great for me but if we let YOU in it will water down my benefits that I paid for with loans you will repay for me.

The election of bush took place in 2000 and 2004, when the vast majority and large majority of millennials couldn’t vote. Those who did overwhelmingly didn’t support Bush. Majority of boomers supported Bush. So your argument here is that even though most of us couldn’t vote and didn’t support Bush and the WOT, we should have mobilized to offset the shitty decisions the boomers were making. And somehow the millennials are equally to blame for policies we opposed and boomers supported?

Yea the boomers were young when the war on drugs started but the majority supported it for their entire lives.

To add to the list, how about boomers continuing to deny climate change in the face of overwhelming evidence... https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-generation/. Even those who say anthropogenic climate change is real are largely unwilling to act on it if it has any negative effect on them.

Boomers are completely unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. In one breath they blame George Bush on the millennials, in the next they say the war on drugs isn’t their fault because they weren’t old enough to influence politics when it started. I don’t know what is wrong with elders these days.
    Or how about millennials who believe in a flat earth or don't know how to use a socket?

Stupidity isn't limited to any one age group. But the millennials have it and gullibility in spades. I mean they really believed Sergey's "don't be evil" motto.

It's not the boomers, it's not the silent generation or the millenials or the kids, it's the .01%

Point oh one.

Those are the people fucking us all, not some arbitrary group of people of similar age. But this plays perfectly into their plan, because the people that should be getting the blame (them) get ignored, while we squabble amongst ourselves for their scraps. See the truth. Act on it. Stop blaming people whose fault it is not. Blame the people whose fault it is.

Krugman's been very good on this lately, read some of it.

^^^ bingo.

The proles' quarters are generally free of telescreens as the Party does not care to observe them. Their functions are simple: work and breed. Proles are described as caring little about anything but home and family, neighbour quarrels, films, football, beer, lottery tickets, and other such bread and circuses.

Yeah, except part of what ppl are getting at is that the “greed is good” Reagan generation is aggressively protecting trickle-down while having massively benefitted their whole lives from the things they’re now undermining.

So yeah, .01% for sure, but also a critical mass of gullible fuckwits who think the rich are heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's not the boomers, it's not the silent generation or the millenials or the kids, it's the .01%

Point oh one.

Those are the people fucking us all, not some arbitrary group of people of similar age. But this plays perfectly into their plan, because the people that should be getting the blame (them) get ignored, while we squabble amongst ourselves for their scraps. See the truth. Act on it. Stop blaming people whose fault it is not. Blame the people whose fault it is.

Krugman's been very good on this lately, read some of it.
    On point!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    So yeah, .01% for sure, but also a critical mass of gullible fuckwits who think the rich are heroic.
    Well fuckwits gonna fuckwit. Don't be one of them is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    don't know how to use a socket
    Imperial or metric?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Imperial or metric?
    Imperial in the latest instance. Step-sons friend wanted to help me work on the boat.

Hand me a 5/8" socket. I'm lucky he didn't make a fucking sock puppet.

I read a thing today where a guy said he could always tell which bolts in his shit are Imperial because they all have rounded-off corners from him trying a metric wrench on them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Imperial or metric?
    Depends what year Jag you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Oh, people noticed. McCain & Feingold (two Boomers) worked very hard to blunt the effect of money in politics - to no real benefit. Military Industrial Complex was too entrenched by then.

If corporate domination of politics is your issue, what did Millenials and Gen-Xers do to prevent the Citizens United ruling? To me that was the death rattle of representative democracy.
    I voted, and protested, and it still didn't work. And I told as many people as I could. But guess what? Here we are.

McCain was born in 1936 just for the record, not a boomer.

One of the things that is just now starting to hit the X, Y, Millineals' level of wealth is something else I believe Reagan started... reverse mortgages.. Before that working class families were steadily building more wealth via each generation. Now us boomers are saying fuck you I got mine and I'm selling it to party on until I die instead of passing it down to my offspring..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Passing it down to your offspring is pretty much the worst thing you could do with your money. For an essay's worth of reasons but I don't feel like writing an essay right now. Trust me, the world will be better off if you just spend the shit and give away the rest in your will.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m the tail end of X’ers too. As I sit at a job I don’t give a shit about, working on an Excel report with System of a Down on the headphones perusing a ski forum waiting for other people to fix the world.

Yea baby

me too #

I just sit back and pretend that I care

done too many white kitchens lately, maybe that's it not white tile white walls white kitchens
    my old man used to say "I'm gonna have a million in cash in the bank by the time of forty do you know what hard work is"
    guy buys a new lexus every year same color just because he can

Passing it down to your offspring is pretty much the worst thing you could do with your money. For an essay's worth of reasons but I don't feel like writing an essay right now. Trust me, the world will be better off if you just spend the shit and give away the rest in your will.
    waiting for my trust fund bro
    have a buddy that just got his, our calculation is he literally pissed away 300k in less than a year
    his dad's financial advisor asked what he'd like to do with the money (reinvest keep it where it is) he said give me a check

As a "millennial" (I'm that weird tweener gen in the early 80s), I just want boomers to get out of the way.
    They fucked things up, whatever, I'm over it. My problem is that they're more susceptible to fake news, social media manipulation and all these false things like "can't work a socket wrench, can't be trusted with the nation hurr Durr".
    Just stop. The crony gangs aren't cutting it in the modern age (just like look at the indictments in Bush/Trump and to a lesser extent Clinton), so let the new competent folks in to do the job.
    Iceman is spot on that it's the .01% we need to curtail, but we can't do that with Boomer majorities voting for people that enable them and for people that restrict the voting rights of younger people.
    I'm just here trying to fix the mess so my kids aren't killed off by climate change after 30+ years of people sticking their fingers in their ears around climate risk.
    Just walk away. Let us try and fail and try again instead of insisting on continuing to hamstring the rest of us. You probably had crappy parenting and social influences. Abdicate responsibility for all I care, just sit down and be quiet for once.

So the bank will be better off with the home you bled and sweated your entire to own than your own kids will be?? Spoken like a true Boomer Ice! Yay wealth concentration at the top!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!