Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Mrs Jong said the same thing recently. Too many choices is definitely an obstacle, but even back in the late 60s the majority of popular artists pretty much ALL kicked out protest songs with similar messages. If today's artists showed similar unity and dedication to common causes their messages would be a lot more effective.. like they were at shutting down Vietnam.
    I wasn't there in the 60s but I've talked to my parents and other boomers a bunch about this lately as I find it interesting. Here is my take.

One, I don't think society was as unified as people think a generation OK. I think that even protest was mainstreamed and alternate opinions to alternate opinions were repressed. People were no more or less happy. This is wear punk music came from.

Two, the idea that anytime of protest or change is anything other than organic and a collection of individual thoughts and ideas is bullshit. Despite the suck that is media, government and whatever old school backwards institution you want to throw under the bus. We, the people, need to take more of the blame. Society is characterized by a bunch of do nothing finger pointers, myself included (I do a little). It is always what everybody else should do/change but none of us want to take the pain. Will all bitch but life is comfortable enough that we don't want to rock the apple cart. There is some Floyd/Orwell in there somewhere but I'm too lazy to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    X2

I like your style...
    My contribution to the continuing thread drift, a block cut i did a while back.

Attachment 287066
    Wood or something else? I just found some of my carving tools in my parent's garage.

Who was the mag who did sketch TRs? And I think did some Hestra ads

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wood or something else? I just found some of my carving tools in my parent's garage.
    Linoleum laminated to wood, i find it works better for smaller works with finer detail.
    If I was working on something that was larger scale, wood with really clean grain would have worked well too.

All I know is kids these days listen to some real gentle happy music. RnR and metal are dying quick, as is angry music in general.

It's like they are all happy or something, it's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    All I know is kids these days listen to some real gentle happy music. RnR and metal are dying quick, as is angry music in general.

It's like they are all happy or something, it's weird.
    ...and the boys dress like my sister did in Jr. High. All the old people ask if he/she is gay? I think they are on some drugs we don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Linoleum laminated to wood, i find it works better for smaller works with finer detail.
    If I was working on something that was larger scale, wood with really clean grain would have worked well too.
    Very cool. I never did anything significant in wood, just synthetic materials.

Found the sketch TR, it was telehoar https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=122163

^^^ très cool

Gen X’ers had it so good. Coming of age in the 80’s and 90’s was great.

Not a care in the world.

2 Live Crew, Run DMC, Metallica, Eazy-E. Then Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam. Then Biggie, 2-Pac, Wu-Tang Clan..... shit I could go on forever.

Gulf War 1 was a cake walk, when airplanes were hijacked they landed, New Coke and Crystal Pepsi came and went. The riots were ugly.

No wonder we have no cares.

Millennials grew up post 9/11. Different world. People getting heads sawed off and posted on the internet. They care more about stuff. It’s a good thing.

The millennials empathy will be a saving grace on society and we can’t get them into power soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What generation has the most conspiracy theorists? That is my major road block to progress. The excuse that some fabricated story created by a talk radio and/or video analyst or celebrity is more important than actual facts drives me crazy. Post 9/11 anti government propaganda has just grown and grown which led us to agent orange.

What generation is to blame?

Where do bands like Joy Division, The Cure and Death Cab fit in? Is it "Alternative" for girls that wore all black and were in Drama Club back in highschool or is it totally relevant? Do kids like it?

Pumpkins and Pixies? I like where this thread is going.

We've got a Gen X thread for that: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=music+90s
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    got no war to name us
    Beats picking cotton and waiting to be forgotten.

Actually this thread could use some relevant tunage.

“Trash that baby boom”

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Post 9/11 anti government propaganda has just grown and grown which led us to agent orange.
    Wait...what? Agent orange ?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Gen X’ers had it so good. Coming of age in the 80’s and 90’s was great.

Not a care in the world.

2 Live Crew, Run DMC, Metallica, Eazy-E. Then Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam. Then Biggie, 2-Pac, Wu-Tang Clan..... shit I could go on forever.

Gulf War 1 was a cake walk, when airplanes were hijacked they landed, New Coke and Crystal Pepsi came and went. The riots were ugly.

No wonder we have no cares.

Millennials grew up post 9/11. Different world. People getting heads sawed off and posted on the internet. They care more about stuff. It’s a good thing.

The millennials empathy will be a saving grace on society and we can’t get them into power soon enough.

Apparently you never saw rotten.com or 4chan back in the day. There's always been awful shit on the internet if you're willing to watch it.

The problem with millennial it its feigned empathy. They speak a language of acceptance and join parades/protests publicly and then do the same shit that the gen-xers do in private only using that "empathy" when it suits them ( for an insta post or clout). Its like their fear flower children.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Apparently you never saw rotten.com or 4chan back in the day. There's always been awful shit on the internet if you're willing to watch it.

The problem with millennial its its feigned empathy. They speak a language of acceptance and join parades/protests publicly and then do the same shit that the gen-xers do in private only using that "empathy" when it suits them ( for an insta post or clout). Its like their fear flower children.
    4chan was post 9/11 wasn't it? I think rotten predated it but I never really fucked around with either one

because we're gettin it shoved up our ass. eh.

(for the record a boomer by 7 months).
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post

The problem with millennial its its feigned empathy. They speak a language of acceptance and join parades/protests publicly and then do the same shit that the gen-xers do in private only using that "empathy" when it suits them ( for an insta post or clout). Its like their fear flower children.
    I guess if you were a friggin nerd back then, using computers in the 80’s and early 90’s was unheard of except for word processing for most kids.

Wasn’t on the front page of CNN

I want to know what you are saying and I almost do but I don't. What is the same shit that Xers do. What I see is a society full of people that lack the tools to have basic face to face interactions with each other. Guess what, everyone is doing it. It is not generationally specific. I've been putting a study on this lately, every characteristic that society wants to place on Millenials can be places on every other generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Wait...what? Agent orange ?
    L'agent Orange. A covert, female only group of Palestinian spies recruited to infiltrate the Mossad, aka "the Institute."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I love the 90s so much I run Windows 95 on my smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Aka L'agent Orange. A covert, female only group of Palestinian spies recruited to infiltrate the Mossad, aka "the Institute."
    Exactly....wait...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah, but at least you are good at the internet. I think music is different things to different people. For me, some music I like but it does not illicit any emotions. Bands and song that I will enjoy for the rest of my life and the ones that make me feel a certain way, remember certain times and events. It is probably because I'm not really right in the head.

A good example would be Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Both are seminal acts of the 90s in the wheel house of what I "should" like. I think Pearl Jam's music is great and I've heard "10" about a million times but I have no emotional attachment. Nirvana I could take it or leave it.
    Pearl Jam has always grated on my ears. Nirvana was listenable, mostly. To each their own. Soundgarden was far better.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pearl Jam has always grated on my ears. Nirvana was listenable, mostly. To each their own. Soundgarden was far better.
    I just re-read what I wrote. I'll revise to say Pearl Jam was good not great. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are both superior. What generation wants to claim this?

Who graduated HS circa 85? OG Xers? Certainly not boomers. Good hair metal, The Smiths, The Dead when it was all about the drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I love the 90s so much I run Windows 95 on my smartphone.
    I admire your level of commitment.

The 90s were truly the golden age.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I actually like it that way.
    me too, i think thats what makes me like it, i would commission one of those right now, but i want perspective to be off
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....