Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Imperial or metric?
    Imperial in the latest instance. Step-sons friend wanted to help me work on the boat.

Hand me a 5/8" socket. I'm lucky he didn't make a fucking sock puppet.

I read a thing today where a guy said he could always tell which bolts in his shit are Imperial because they all have rounded-off corners from him trying a metric wrench on them.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Imperial or metric?
    Depends what year Jag you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Oh, people noticed. McCain & Feingold (two Boomers) worked very hard to blunt the effect of money in politics - to no real benefit. Military Industrial Complex was too entrenched by then.

If corporate domination of politics is your issue, what did Millenials and Gen-Xers do to prevent the Citizens United ruling? To me that was the death rattle of representative democracy.
    I voted, and protested, and it still didn't work. And I told as many people as I could. But guess what? Here we are.

McCain was born in 1936 just for the record, not a boomer.

One of the things that is just now starting to hit the X, Y, Millineals' level of wealth is something else I believe Reagan started... reverse mortgages.. Before that working class families were steadily building more wealth via each generation. Now us boomers are saying fuck you I got mine and I'm selling it to party on until I die instead of passing it down to my offspring..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Passing it down to your offspring is pretty much the worst thing you could do with your money. For an essay's worth of reasons but I don't feel like writing an essay right now. Trust me, the world will be better off if you just spend the shit and give away the rest in your will.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Iím the tail end of Xíers too. As I sit at a job I donít give a shit about, working on an Excel report with System of a Down on the headphones perusing a ski forum waiting for other people to fix the world.

Yea baby

me too #

I just sit back and pretend that I care

done too many white kitchens lately, maybe that's it not white tile white walls white kitchens
    my old man used to say "I'm gonna have a million in cash in the bank by the time of forty do you know what hard work is"
    guy buys a new lexus every year same color just because he can

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Passing it down to your offspring is pretty much the worst thing you could do with your money. For an essay's worth of reasons but I don't feel like writing an essay right now. Trust me, the world will be better off if you just spend the shit and give away the rest in your will.
    waiting for my trust fund bro
    have a buddy that just got his, our calculation is he literally pissed away 300k in less than a year
    his dad's financial advisor asked what he'd like to do with the money (reinvest keep it where it is) he said give me a check

As a "millennial" (I'm that weird tweener gen in the early 80s), I just want boomers to get out of the way.
    They fucked things up, whatever, I'm over it. My problem is that they're more susceptible to fake news, social media manipulation and all these false things like "can't work a socket wrench, can't be trusted with the nation hurr Durr".
    Just stop. The crony gangs aren't cutting it in the modern age (just like look at the indictments in Bush/Trump and to a lesser extent Clinton), so let the new competent folks in to do the job.
    Iceman is spot on that it's the .01% we need to curtail, but we can't do that with Boomer majorities voting for people that enable them and for people that restrict the voting rights of younger people.
    I'm just here trying to fix the mess so my kids aren't killed off by climate change after 30+ years of people sticking their fingers in their ears around climate risk.
    Just walk away. Let us try and fail and try again instead of insisting on continuing to hamstring the rest of us. You probably had crappy parenting and social influences. Abdicate responsibility for all I care, just sit down and be quiet for once.

So the bank will be better off with the home you bled and sweated your entire to own than your own kids will be?? Spoken like a true Boomer Ice! Yay wealth concentration at the top!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It's a big group but they (we) are dying off fast. When did old people ever leave gracefully, ever, in history? Just fucking deal. Do what you can, and know for a fact that in ~20 years, it will be you getting the blame.

Focus on the real enemies.

It's a big group but they (we) are dying off fast. When did old people ever leave gracefully, ever, in history? Just fucking deal. Do what you can, and know for a fact that in ~20 years, it will be you getting the blame.

Exactly. Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So the bank will be better off with the home you bled and sweated your entire to own than your own kids will be?? Spoken like a true Boomer Ice! Yay wealth concentration at the top!
    Are you really that much of a fuckwit? Inherited wealth is bad for the world, and bad for the people who get it. Better to spend it on shit that people get paid to produce than it is to preserve it. It's far better to do that, or just give it to charity, than it is to pass it down for the "benefit" of your kids.

This shit is obvious to a person who thinks, my man.

Don't worry, people already blame millennials for everything. We're used to it.

Old people get scared, I know that for a fact. Hell old dogs get scared. It's because your capacity to deal with major problems is diminished. Understand the impulse and forgive it and don't make the same mistakes if you can avoid them. Boomers started out okay, they had their hearts in the right place, then they had responsibilities like kids, then they got scared. It's how it goes.

Again, the real enemy is the concentration of wealth at the very top, focus on that. Let the old folks go to see other old folks play old songs at inflated ticket prices and work on your own shit.

Look, as much as I would like to be able to fix/cure all that ills this world, the best I can do is make it a better place for my kids and hopefully theirs before I check out. Part of that is helping them buy homes where they want to live and leaving them a solid legacy to help them have a good life.
    The deal in our family is the grand parents leave what they have left for the grand kids. That helped us and I intend to honor that for my grand kids or children if they remain childless.
    Families need to help each other succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Look, as much as I would like to be able to fix/cure all that ills this world, the best I can do is make it a better place for my kids and hopefully theirs before I check out. Part of that is helping them buy homes where they want to live and leaving them a solid legacy to help them have a good life.
    The deal in our family is the grand parents leave what they have left for the grand kids. That helped us and I intend to honor that for my grand kids or children if they remain childless.
    Families need to help each other succeed.
    This guy gets it. Think global, act local, eh?
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

What we did was pay for education. We might end up leaving some real estate since we need to live somewhere, but other than that they are free of debt, educated, and healthy. Beyond that they're on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This guy gets it. Think global, act local, eh?
    He's completely wrong imo.

edit: I mean I totally get the impulse. I used to feel that way, back when things started to go good for us. But I kept thinking about it, and I (we) came to a different conclusion.

So far, at least. Maybe it'll change, I dunno.

He's completely wrong imo.

edit: I mean I totally get the impulse. I used to feel that way, back when things started to go good for us. But I kept thinking about it, and I (we) came to a different conclusion.

So far, at least. Maybe it'll change, I dunno.
    Once we're able to Pierce the old money trusts and restore proper inheritance taxes, I agree, but until then there's somewhat of an imperative to leave something if you don't want your kids to be worse off than you were.
    Modern capital accumulation is nuts, and when you look at the enabling effects it has for modern entrepreneurship it's magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Likely, being in the trades, fred deals with a lot of people that want high end domestic shit, who are, given that as icemang sagaciously summarizes, older and likely b00mers.
    Hunh, I just figured that some older guy dazzled fredís girlfriend with a little big spending then fucked her. I bet thatís close.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

Boomers started out okay, they had their hearts in the right place, then they had responsibilities like kids, then they got scared. It's how it goes.
    And jaded.

Hell, I'm a genXer and I'm jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Once we're able to Pierce the old money trusts and restore proper inheritance taxes, I agree, but until then there's somewhat of an imperative to leave something if you don't want your kids to be worse off than you were.
    Modern capital accumulation is nuts, and when you look at the enabling effects it has for modern entrepreneurship it's magnified.
    Well nothing's written in stone, as I tried to allude to. We'll see what happens. I'd like to finish thinking about this before the alzheimers kicks in though.