Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    maybe if yer some reactionary fucking American but up here Buddy is yer every-man in Canada so its ok to call everyone buddy, there's even a group called " Buddy wasisname and the other fellers " and here he is telling a joke with buddy in it

I would like to point out the ill advised is a UPer, which is pretty much the same as being Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    From this day forward Glademaster shall only be referred to as “Buddy”. So it has been declared.
    It's better than Bunny.

Re killing the 0.1%--my grandfather would approve. He used to tell me that capitalists should be lined up against a wall and shot. He was a Communist in Russia before the revolution. He never let politics get in the way of making a good living--he made a lot of money selling bread to the army during WWI and later in real estate and insurance.

You mean he wasn't rancorous enough already?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    save up an especially rancorous one for me, ok buddy.
    fukkin lmfao, bobby

Honestly I think he thinks he's doing the right thing. Which, objectively, it's hard to say he's not doing. He has opinions that are pretty wack sometimes but he at least throws them out there as food for thought or whatever, at least he's not stewing over it. I don't mind it.

budbudbudbudbudbud buuuuuuuuuuuddy!
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Re killing the 0.1%--my grandfather would approve. He used to tell me that capitalists should be lined up against a wall and shot. He was a Communist in Russia before the revolution. He never let politics get in the way of making a good living--he made a lot of money selling bread to the army during WWI and later in real estate and insurance.
    I don’t mind true capitalists, it’s the corporate and political poseurs that I would line up.
    A local mill recently shut down, owned by a very large publicly traded company. Forest companies contribute about 1/3 of the province’s GDP, and as such are heavily invested in by the large provincial pension funds (govt, health, teachers, etc), of which I am a part of. The company shut down the mill because of a constrained timber supply, which is true, but the mill was in the middle of the remaining timber, unlike many of the surrounding mills that will continue to operate. Like most of the big guys, they like to control the cost of units of input, this being the log market. Due to the softwood lumber issue, BC auctions about 20% of the provincial timber harvest to derive the market value of the logs, and then determines the appropriate stumpage (royalty) on that volume. Due to constrained supply, the timber is being priced at a premium, and so stumpage is high.
    The fuckers and their ilk keep protesting efforts of the indigenous and local communities to prevent the consolidation of the forest licenses so the big mill players can manipulate the log market prices, and even go so far to state, and get some ‘capitalist’ politicians/parties to support, a arbitrary reduction of the stumpage rates to help prevent mill and logging shutdowns. This despite the result would be, rightfully so, facing countervailing duties selling to the US due to unfair supply subsidization.
    Corporate welfare recipients, and extortionists they are, true capitalists they are not. Fuck em all.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Where do you sit with "cheif", "hoss" or "bro"...?
    DUDE!!

Forrest Gump is really just a caricature of each and every boomer.

At what point in history did "man" morph into "dude" and where does "buddy" fit in?

I think the first handle reformation came about sometime in the early 80s. It was definitely post bell bottoms and maybe about the time punk made the preppies realize how uncool they were.

Likely developing from trashy surf punk vernacular, it left many more establishment slang bearers in the dust, so a schism developed in the 90s or so to bring about the latter fracture more acceptable on golf courses, in courtrooms and in exclusive club bars.

Born on a rising tide of yuppies, on exchange floors and in investment banks, it festered back into more common usage.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Calling me "buddy" even with the most amicable of intentions, is among the quicker ways to elicit a rancorous response from me. Getting my attention by shouting "hey, you son of a whore" would genuinely bother me far less.

I guess this belongs in the Shit That Annoys You thread, but it seemed apropos here.
    Hey bu-ddy! No whee-zin the j-uice!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    At what point in history did "man" morph into "dude" and where does "buddy" fit in?

I think the first handle reformation came about sometime in the early 80s. It was definitely post bell bottoms and maybe about the time punk made the preppies realize how uncool they were.

Likely developing from trashy surf punk vernacular, it left many more establishment slang bearers in the dust, so a schism developed in the 90s or so to bring about the latter fracture more acceptable on golf courses, in courtrooms and in exclusive club bars.

Born on a rising tide of yuppies, on exchange floors and in investment banks, it festered back into more common usage.
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out in 1982 helped break it into the mainstream is my guess.

Buddy is usually used in place of 'friend' recently among my freinds, although I called a millennial 'buddy' once and he thought I was being condescending when I really meant friend........before that wasn't it around forever as a replacement for 'you', as in "hey buddy go fuck yourself" and probably also as 'friend' too?

“Dude” IME was in common use in my surfer crowd in the late 60s. But it seemed to broadly replace “man” much later. Maybe the 90s?

So, "man" is a b00mer handle, "d00d" is a gen-x thing.

I would have thought that "buddy" was a millennial construct that came out of more establishment mores, like the east coast or wealthy SF financier milieu. Maybe the dockers and loafer types just needed to catch up? Where's Old Larry for an opinion?

Personally, I tend to be a linguistic luddite, though I was charmed by the novel "In Our Mad and Furious City" which is told mostly in contemporary London slang, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    “Dude” IME was in common use in my surfer crowd in the late 60s. But it seemed to broadly replace “man” much later. Maybe the 90s?
    Right, this is my experience of running into it in the 70s emitted by Californians I met in college. But yeah, I think slippy has the infection mechanism right. Man.

Thank god "homie" never made it. Or "blood". "bro" is a sure sign of the diminished. "Asshole" is transcendently timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    "I mostly post for the shock value. But also to talk about how cool I am."

-Tao of Glade
    If there's one thing we both know about me, it's that I'm about the furthest thing from cool. Okay, well, maybe not as far from it as Spook, but you get my drift.

Local vernacular is a funny thing. Tone and context is everything however 'round here "Buddy" or "Guy" used towards someone you don't know is certainly condescending and comes with a healthy dose of "fuck you" attached.

People out here in the sticks, despite being something other than formal and proper, appreciate respect from strangers. "Excuse me Sir/Maam/Miss" is the appropriate way to get the attention of a stranger. We also exchange pleasantries, introduce ourselves, and shake hands.

People not from these parts find it a bit uncomfortable. On the jobsite, it is expected that anyone that doesn't know each goes through this process. If you don't, you are considered an instant outsider. It is one of the weird things around here that makes some people from the city think we are unfriendly. Guess what...get out a bit and you will realize that it is pretty much standard in the rest of the world.

Colorado is the only place where you can introduce yourself to an adult, women included, and they can just give you that Whazup Headnod that says, "Yeah, I heard you but I'm so self absorbed that you ain't shit to me". It is my number one read on potential customers.

dude was definitely more popular in my non-surf existence because of fast times at ridgemont high.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If there's one thing we both know about me, it's that I'm about the furthest thing from cool. Okay, well, maybe not as far from it as Spook, but you get my drift.
    yeah but i know it and never bothered trying.

As a kid in the 80s in SoCal we used dude/man interchangeably. If we wanted to imitate Spicoli, we said whoa. We also said bogus a lot.

One of my brothers and I stopped using each others names in favor of bro the late 80s/early 90s and have continued to do so this day.

"Bro" is a step more cordial than "Buddy" or "Guy" but is still is a bit of a put down. I guess that is because of what a "Bro" is considered is these parts which I suppose could be considered a shallow, image conscious person and it has now even extended to females, "She is such a bro" is not a compliments.

Now among friends all of the above could be terms of endearments or put downs depending on the context.

How about "garcon?"
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

yeah bro does not reflect or elicit cordiality in my mind

Foggy nails it. Bud/buddy/guy/bro are all pejoratives.

present bros excluded of course