Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    boomer trump voters and hillary voters can all agree when it comes to zoning regulations: "we got ours, now go fuck off".
    While I can appreciate your frustration, it is perfectly reasonable for anyone to not want to live in a densely zoned area. Areas that were once zone R1 (SFR on the lot) can now build an accessory unit if there is room on the lot. Many homeowners are doing that in my hood and while that does bring a few more rentals to market, the rent is still crazy.
    If all that frustrates you, make more money or move to Texas or Arizona where it is still affordable and you have a little elbow room. Not everyone can afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yer gonna pin a Supreme Court appointment in 1971 on Boomers? Less than have of the cohort could even vote then. Presidents from Eisenhower up until Clinton were Greatest Generation
    That's not what I said, is it? I said it would have been nice if they noticed. I don't go in for blaming "generations," but the rise of corporate domination of US politics fits pretty darn nicely with the rise of the baby boomers. It sure as hell isn't something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    it's been a career of suckage
    many of the boomer "intellectuals" follow their idols, the boomer rock-n-roll bands, in producing a hit single or album and milking it for a career of profitable nostalgia suckage for boomers.

spoken like a boomer. I get why they want to keep things the way it was, but it's objectively not good for the country. and "move to arizona" is code word for "I paved over my slice of paradise, fuck you". even incremental changes are ruthlessly taken down by boomers on the city councils and the boomers who hound them at public comment sessions. put a 10 story apartment building right where a SFR neighborhood intersects a 4-lane arterial road? HELL NO!

ADUs can only do so much against pent-up demand, and if prices/rents are high for nice new ADUs, it at least moves some well-paid young folks out of shitty rentals and frees them up for those lower down. just needs to happen on a larger scale and also with tall buildings. I imagine a lot of people fought against those ADUs for years too.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    While I can appreciate your frustration, it is perfectly reasonable for anyone to not want to live in a densely zoned area. Areas that were once zone R1 (SFR on the lot) can now build an accessory unit if there is room on the lot. Many homeowners are doing that in my hood and while that does bring a few more rentals to market, the rent is still crazy.
    If all that frustrates you, make more money or move to Texas or Arizona where it is still affordable and you have a little elbow room. Not everyone can afford it.

Life has always been about IGM-SFO. As a young man I could not afford to buy in central San Diego, so I bought up in Carlsbad and did a 45 minute commute each way. Asking people to be excited about building apartment buildings in their residential hood is not realistic. You can get mad about it, but at the end of the day you have to work with what reality gives you, not your wish list. If that means moving to where it is cheaper, so be it, at least that is what I did 40 years ago and it turned out fine. YRMV, so good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I hope you are clear eyed about the NIMBY statement you just wrote.

Resisting change is common, but cities will change. They can change for the better, or they can change for the worse. Planning for appropriate growth isn't always comfortable, but, when properly applied, it is focused at city-wide health, not individuals. SFO, if you will...

0:40 min commutes become 1:30 commutes and then 2:40 commutes without making proper planning adjustments -- this has already happened in major areas

KQ has been inviting people to move to Walla Walla. It seems like a nice place with reasonable rents if you're just starting out.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

nah, we used to build housing to accommodate growing cities.

as acinpdx said, we rarely have the option to build greenfield development just 45 min from a major city like you did with Carlsbad. remaining opportunities are disappearing fast and prices reflect that.

perhaps the bigger issue with commuting is the roads...there's not enough tax money to expand road networks in these far-out commuter subdivisions, because the boomers voted to give themselves tax cuts. still a decent amount of undeveloped land north of denver, but of course I-25 is a shithole with no hope of getting better. the greatest generation invested in the infrastructure and the boomers starved it.

I'll be stuck with the tax bill down the road when it becomes unbearable.

Lester, if the Denver area has you down have you considered Walla Walla?

https://discoverwallawalla.net/webcam

KQ, if you're reading this...now that the trees have leafed out, I'm not sure the webcam is in the right spot anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Sounds like a good plan.

Lt gray or white grout on white tile?
    I got 12" slate with dark brown grout ... everything is already the color of dirt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Of the 50 richest people in the world;

22 are the Silent generation
    18 are Boomers
    10 are Gen X'ers

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich...-jeff-bezos-48

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got 12" slate with dark brown grout ... everything is already the color of dirt
    Nice. The brown grout adds warm earth tones and should complement the gray slate nicely. Slate also comes in red and green hues, in which case I would probably go with a gray grout with those other colors.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Of the 50 richest people in the world;

22 are the Silent generation
    18 are Boomers
    10 are Gen X'ers

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich...-jeff-bezos-48
    Tax them and make them pay. Use the money to fix up I-25 north of Denver, and then use the balance to build affordable housing for everyone near ski areas.

Zuckerberg is a millennial.

Life has always been about IGM-SFO. As a young man I could not afford to buy in central San Diego, so I bought up in Carlsbad and did a 45 minute commute each way. Asking people to be excited about building apartment buildings in their residential hood is not realistic. You can get mad about it, but at the end of the day you have to work with what reality gives you, not your wish list. If that means moving to where it is cheaper, so be it, at least that is what I did 40 years ago and it turned out fine. YRMV, so good luck.
    Quoted solely out of respect for so succinctly demonstrating the whole "I've got mine so fuck you" attitude that many find so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    That fucker alone could build 500 affordable housing units at the base of each Cottonwood Canyon.

At the company I work for, my favorite thing about boomers is that they got a retirement buyout a few years back to the tune of 250K (depending on years of service). Due to some stupid ass company policy they're allowed to come back as contractors making 30-40/hour doing next to nothing and handing in garbage work when they do. Every one of these assholes has a pension, a 401k, SS, and a huge buyout yet they've fucked up their retirement so badly that they continue screw over young folks who are beating on the door to get in. You love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Boomers slightly better than the silent generation. Gen X slightly better than the boomers. Millienials mos def smarter & cooler than Gen X.
    Get off my lawn. And how come nobody is talking about the genYers? That gap between X and the Millennials? I am squarely in the middle of X, however my little sister is a cusp child.

Because the goalposts are constantly moving.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    At the company I work for, my favorite thing about boomers is that they got a retirement buyout a few years back to the tune of 250K (depending on years of service). Due to some stupid ass company policy they're allowed to come back as contractors making 30-40/hour doing next to nothing and handing in garbage work when they do. Every one of these assholes has a pension, a 401k, SS, and a huge buyout yet they've fucked up their retirement so badly that they continue screw over young folks who are beating on the door to get in. You love to see it.
    Nothing against DD and the arrangement he has with his mom, but having a kid (or two) living at home in the basement, plus food bills and such, all after you've spent some or likely most of that 250K on their college, it isn't like you can just retire. Benny's different, he never had kids. All he pays for besides himself is a cat sitter while he's out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    yup, didn't count that one, only millennial

Zuck is 34, next closest is 45

silent-22
    boomer-18
    x-9
    mill-1

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    That's not what I said, is it? I said it would have been nice if they noticed. I don't go in for blaming "generations," but the rise of corporate domination of US politics fits pretty darn nicely with the rise of the baby boomers. It sure as hell isn't something to be proud of.
    Oh, people noticed. McCain & Feingold (two Boomers) worked very hard to blunt the effect of money in politics - to no real benefit. Military Industrial Complex was too entrenched by then.

If corporate domination of politics is your issue, what did Millenials and Gen-Xers do to prevent the Citizens United ruling? To me that was the death rattle of representative democracy.

Assuming what you wrote is correct, why would a business motivated by profit hire people it bought out unless of course there were no qualified candidates to fill in. You think they handed out 250k to make people feel good? Having a pension ,SS and 401k is not fucking up retirement either.
    Sounds like a bunch of unsuccessful cry babies around here. Of course wealth is distributed unequally.
    Old people always have had more. There expenses are generally less and they don’t buy shit.
    I stand by my assessment of a bunch of miserable babies around here. In one breath everyone complains ikon made their Mountain crowded in the next breath it’s no one has money under 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Assuming what you wrote is correct, why would a business motivated by profit hire people it bought out unless of course there were no qualified candidates to fill in. You think they handed out 250k to make people feel good? Having a pension ,SS and 401k is not fucking up retirement either.
    Sounds like a bunch of unsuccessful cry babies around here. Of course wealth is distributed unequally.
    Old people always have had more. There expenses are generally less and they don’t buy shit.
    I stand by my assessment of a bunch of miserable babies around here. In one breath everyone complains ikon made their Mountain crowded in the next breath it’s no one has money under 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The rationale is that they're saving money by bringing in "experienced" workers they don't need to train and the contract agencies offer no benefits. Plenty of qualified young workers out there.

And yes, having a pension, 401k, SS and STILL not being able to stay the fuck home is the definition of failed retirement.
    Last edited by mcphee; 06-25-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: adding to the rant

the companies totally do this^^ for a lot of good reasons. At IBM they call them ROC's or Retiree-On-Call, buddy already understands the culture, the program, knows all the players, knows the job, is better than a contract employee, will come to work when asked, will go away when not needed, the mother corp can run a little leaner/keep the head count down and still respond to work load but if your ^^ company is paying for shitty work that doesn't sound very smart

the retiree regardless of his/her financial position is still really invested in staying working and wouldn't know what to do if they didnt have a warm screen to show up at IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY so what happens is these ^^ people go on working almost forever instead of retiring

IME it was a positive thing to completely separate from the mother corp and find a different gig or no gig
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Assuming what you wrote is correct, why would a business motivated by profit hire people it bought out unless of course there were no qualified candidates to fill in. You think they handed out 250k to make people feel good?
    Why? Because they are stupid and lazy, that's why. I worked at a company that did exactly what McPhee described - and it wasn't because they were super smart efficient market geniuses. It wasn't because they couldn't hire capable replacements. It was because they were fuckups.