Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

why does the baby boomer generation suck so bad

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    naw dude
    just sick of these boomers telling me how it is thinking they are smart and shit
    finally getting my rip and going to shred the knar knar

did spend two hours today with a guy and his wife today in their four million dollar house, three sinks, two dishwashers, 8 burner viking plus skittle and commerical fridge, two wine fridges
    they think there twelve year old kitchen is too rustic and want something modern
    oil money
    she had her check book out and wanted to write me a check, I was like hold on honey

my kind of people seriously, I can charm the pants right off the wife talking about backsplash tile
    can't bite the hand that feeds you can you?

FYI I think they millennials are the bomb, seriously, they are just sitting back knowing they are fucked and don't give a rats ass
    There are dumb and smart people of every age

Old people will be old

I was born in the last year of the boom and have with dismay watched the Republican Party work to tear down what the greatest generation wrought.

Newt Gingrich and Dennis Hastert have a lot to answer for

Unfortunately democrats donít vote. The have nots feel it doesnít matter and they are going to get hosed regardless

Letís not forget bush2 and trump lost the general vote.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Now heís making a fine living writing cluttered observations on the dust settling
    it's been a career of suckage

I'm the tail end of the X'ers. I hope you boomers die off and you millennials and Z'ers fix shit. Should put me right in the middle of a good retirement about the time it all comes together. God speed...

Iím the tail end of Xíers too. As I sit at a job I donít give a shit about, working on an Excel report with System of a Down on the headphones perusing a ski forum waiting for other people to fix the world.

Yea baby

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the tail end of the X'ers. I hope you boomers die off and you millennials and Z'ers fix shit. Should put me right in the middle of a good retirement about the time it all comes together. God speed...
    Sounds like a good plan.

Lt gray or white grout on white tile?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

All's I want is my balls sucked once in a while.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Fred reminds me of the guy I subbed from when I started out.
    Great guy, but damn if he wasn't and still is, a grouchy fucker.

boomers are largely responsible for strangling housing development in vibrant job markets, raising prices for their own benefit and screwing over future generations. it's generational warfare. people are finally starting to realize it and talk about it at least. so much of the productivity and wealth generated by silicon valley is unproductively plowed back into obscene mortgage payments or rent, benefiting the same boomers who fight tooth and nail to keep so much of the valley zoned single family homes only. no apartment buildings. no townhomes. only 1960s shithole ranch houses selling for millions. it's a major problem, but one that's easy to rationalize away if you're comfortably sitting on a home you could never afford today.

boomer trump voters and hillary voters can all agree when it comes to zoning regulations: "we got ours, now go fuck off".

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Sounds like a good plan.

Went white in the kitchen and regret it. Too dirty. Shades of brown for both tile and grout in the bathroom. I'm pretty good with that. Not sure I'd even do tile in a kitchen again. Would prefer a homogenous surface to crumbs are hand swept onto the floor and the dogs do their jobs.

I guess if I were Fred's client, I'd probably have someone cleaning everything so white grout wouldn't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    boomer trump voters and hillary voters can all agree when it comes to zoning regulations: "we got ours, now go fuck off".
    While I can appreciate your frustration, it is perfectly reasonable for anyone to not want to live in a densely zoned area. Areas that were once zone R1 (SFR on the lot) can now build an accessory unit if there is room on the lot. Many homeowners are doing that in my hood and while that does bring a few more rentals to market, the rent is still crazy.
    If all that frustrates you, make more money or move to Texas or Arizona where it is still affordable and you have a little elbow room. Not everyone can afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Yer gonna pin a Supreme Court appointment in 1971 on Boomers? Less than have of the cohort could even vote then. Presidents from Eisenhower up until Clinton were Greatest Generation
    That's not what I said, is it? I said it would have been nice if they noticed. I don't go in for blaming "generations," but the rise of corporate domination of US politics fits pretty darn nicely with the rise of the baby boomers. It sure as hell isn't something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    it's been a career of suckage
    many of the boomer "intellectuals" follow their idols, the boomer rock-n-roll bands, in producing a hit single or album and milking it for a career of profitable nostalgia suckage for boomers.

spoken like a boomer. I get why they want to keep things the way it was, but it's objectively not good for the country. and "move to arizona" is code word for "I paved over my slice of paradise, fuck you". even incremental changes are ruthlessly taken down by boomers on the city councils and the boomers who hound them at public comment sessions. put a 10 story apartment building right where a SFR neighborhood intersects a 4-lane arterial road? HELL NO!

ADUs can only do so much against pent-up demand, and if prices/rents are high for nice new ADUs, it at least moves some well-paid young folks out of shitty rentals and frees them up for those lower down. just needs to happen on a larger scale and also with tall buildings. I imagine a lot of people fought against those ADUs for years too.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    While I can appreciate your frustration, it is perfectly reasonable for anyone to not want to live in a densely zoned area. Areas that were once zone R1 (SFR on the lot) can now build an accessory unit if there is room on the lot. Many homeowners are doing that in my hood and while that does bring a few more rentals to market, the rent is still crazy.
    If all that frustrates you, make more money or move to Texas or Arizona where it is still affordable and you have a little elbow room. Not everyone can afford it.

Life has always been about IGM-SFO. As a young man I could not afford to buy in central San Diego, so I bought up in Carlsbad and did a 45 minute commute each way. Asking people to be excited about building apartment buildings in their residential hood is not realistic. You can get mad about it, but at the end of the day you have to work with what reality gives you, not your wish list. If that means moving to where it is cheaper, so be it, at least that is what I did 40 years ago and it turned out fine. YRMV, so good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I hope you are clear eyed about the NIMBY statement you just wrote.

Resisting change is common, but cities will change. They can change for the better, or they can change for the worse. Planning for appropriate growth isn't always comfortable, but, when properly applied, it is focused at city-wide health, not individuals. SFO, if you will...

0:40 min commutes become 1:30 commutes and then 2:40 commutes without making proper planning adjustments -- this has already happened in major areas

KQ has been inviting people to move to Walla Walla. It seems like a nice place with reasonable rents if you're just starting out.

nah, we used to build housing to accommodate growing cities.

as acinpdx said, we rarely have the option to build greenfield development just 45 min from a major city like you did with Carlsbad. remaining opportunities are disappearing fast and prices reflect that.

perhaps the bigger issue with commuting is the roads...there's not enough tax money to expand road networks in these far-out commuter subdivisions, because the boomers voted to give themselves tax cuts. still a decent amount of undeveloped land north of denver, but of course I-25 is a shithole with no hope of getting better. the greatest generation invested in the infrastructure and the boomers starved it.

I'll be stuck with the tax bill down the road when it becomes unbearable.

Lester, if the Denver area has you down have you considered Walla Walla?

https://discoverwallawalla.net/webcam

KQ, if you're reading this...now that the trees have leafed out, I'm not sure the webcam is in the right spot anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Sounds like a good plan.

I got 12" slate with dark brown grout ... everything is already the color of dirt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Of the 50 richest people in the world;

22 are the Silent generation
    18 are Boomers
    10 are Gen X'ers

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich...-jeff-bezos-48

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got 12" slate with dark brown grout ... everything is already the color of dirt
    Nice. The brown grout adds warm earth tones and should complement the gray slate nicely. Slate also comes in red and green hues, in which case I would probably go with a gray grout with those other colors.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Of the 50 richest people in the world;

22 are the Silent generation
    18 are Boomers
    10 are Gen X'ers

https://www.businessinsider.com/rich...-jeff-bezos-48
    Tax them and make them pay. Use the money to fix up I-25 north of Denver, and then use the balance to build affordable housing for everyone near ski areas.

Zuckerberg is a millennial.

Boomers slightly better than the silent generation. Gen X slightly better than the boomers. Millienials mos def smarter & cooler than Gen X.

Life has always been about IGM-SFO. As a young man I could not afford to buy in central San Diego, so I bought up in Carlsbad and did a 45 minute commute each way. Asking people to be excited about building apartment buildings in their residential hood is not realistic. You can get mad about it, but at the end of the day you have to work with what reality gives you, not your wish list. If that means moving to where it is cheaper, so be it, at least that is what I did 40 years ago and it turned out fine. YRMV, so good luck.
    Quoted solely out of respect for so succinctly demonstrating the whole "I've got mine so fuck you" attitude that many find so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Zuckerberg is a millennial.
    That fucker alone could build 500 affordable housing units at the base of each Cottonwood Canyon.

At the company I work for, my favorite thing about boomers is that they got a retirement buyout a few years back to the tune of 250K (depending on years of service). Due to some stupid ass company policy they're allowed to come back as contractors making 30-40/hour doing next to nothing and handing in garbage work when they do. Every one of these assholes has a pension, a 401k, SS, and a huge buyout yet they've fucked up their retirement so badly that they continue screw over young folks who are beating on the door to get in. You love to see it.