Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTF is going on at Santa Anita?

30 dead horses this year!
    HoF trainers kicked off the track!
    This can ruin horse racing in this country. There has to be something wrong with the track.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

No, there is something wrong with horse racing in the US.

I’m outraged:

Last year, 493 horses died or were euthanized within 72 hours of sustaining a catastrophic race injury. That’s about 10 horses each week. In the last ten years, a total of 6,134 horses have died. That tally doesn’t include deaths from training.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A dirty secret finally hitting the airwaves? Just another thing that people pretend doesn't happen and become outraged when it becomes a thing. Well, now that one acquires a high horse...so to speak.
    I'm outraged as well.

Using too much dope to get the horse to run hurt, it ends up too fucked up to live ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Horses die all the time, in racing, in steeplechase, and just in barns where people ride for fun or whatever. I've been around them a lot and horses are fucking brittle. It's quite amazing to me that they can survive in the wild.

With that said, and FWIW, something is going on at Santa Anita. Whether it's the drugs, the racing rules, or something weirder (you can't put PETA or similar off to the side and say it's impossible that a political statement is being made through the sacrifice of some horses (..."for the greater good" [nobody I know of said that, the quotes are mine]), but the reality is, who knows?

But something hinky is going down. It'll come out eventually, whatever it is.

Lotta doping in horse racing. Sad.

But also, horses, I mean the whole idea of owning, riding, breeding, racing horses is so fucking stupid.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

its just gods way of telling you you HAD too much money

Although the deaths of horses this year has attracted a lot of attention — and protests — fatalities at the track are not uncommon. According to the CHRB's annual reports 44 horses died at the park in fiscal year 2017 - 2018 due to racing and other factors, in 2016 - 2017, 64 horses died, and in 2015 - 2016, the death toll was 62 horses.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Owned by the Stronach group ... Canadians eh

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/us/sa...ies/index.html

i think the Stronachs own > one track, Frank Stronach owns magna interantional which is auto parts RE and the horse thing

other than directing the drunk trackers at ex park when i was 16 i don't really have any love for for horse racing

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/us/sa...ies/index.html

i think the Stronachs own > one track, Frank Stronach owns magna interantional which is auto parts RE and the horse thing

other than directing the drunk trackers at ex park when i was 16 i don't really have any love for for horse racing
    Stronach's own several tracks, no idea what the number is, but it included the two tracks in Maryland, Laurel and Pimlico. I thought they were local ownership of those tracks until this got deeper in recent months.

well its for losers eh

Back in the day I used to work with a fairly serious tracker at the steel plant, he would bring in the morning newspaper and ritualistically hand off all the sections, rip out a 6" piece of the sports page with tonites picks on it and hand that away too, then he would study that little piece of newsprint all day

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Stronach's own several tracks, no idea what the number is, but it included the two tracks in Maryland, Laurel and Pimlico. I thought they were local ownership of those tracks until this got deeper in recent months.
    world domination eh

his daughter Belinda Stronach took a run at leadership of the federal Conservative party, recently i read the fam was not getting along as families with millions or billions often do but i don't know where that is right now

Lot of truth here, but please keep in mind a lot of these equine deaths are simply the owner's cutting their losses. Animals as a business is still ruled by the bottom line. Minor injury requiring 6 months lay up? Kill it and save the money for the next horse. Living beings as a business unit inevitably means no empathy, only brutal objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Lot of truth here, but please keep in mind a lot of these equine deaths are simply the owner's cutting their losses. Animals as a business is still ruled by the bottom line. Minor injury requiring 6 months lay up? Kill it and save the money for the next horse. Living beings as a business unit inevitably means no empathy, only brutal objectivity.
    Well said, and completely true. But it's easy to see problems and harder to offer and implement solutions. What should we do?

I'm tired of questions in general. We all know what the fucking problems are. Tell me how you would fix them if you want me to give you money.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well said, and completely true. But it's easy to see problems and harder to offer and implement solutions. What should we do?
    Sell them to Asia as meat.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Republicans? Too sour.

They might like them in Korea, tho

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    How does that make it better? It just shows how heartless the industry and owners are.

Little background: My GF was president of the Washington state horse breeders association - that's the head of all horse racing in the state. He made his living breeding and racing Thoroughbred race horses. I love Thoroughbreds, I think they are the most beautiful horses out there and have owned at least one most of my life but race them? No way. It is a horrible abusive sport.

Why are those horses dying? Could be a lot of things among them the fact that they are just babies.

A horse isn't physically or mentally mature until they are at least 5 years old. Their bodies are still growing, their bones and muscles not fully mature and their minds aren't there yet. At the age of 2 or less (all Thoroughbreds are given the birth date of January 1 no matter when they are born) they are forced to live in 12x12 boxes and only get out to run one direction on a track then it's back to the box. Because of this they develop psychological issues like cribbing, weaving and head banging and respiratory issues from dust and ammonia.

There is no balance to their lives. There is no running and frolicking. There is no interacting with other horses, They are a means to an end and they cost money so if they don't show promise then they are thrown out. The lucky ones get a second chance in the show ring but most end up at the knackers when they are still babies.

But that's just my view of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Sell them to Asia as meat.
    There was a Kentucky Derby winner that ended up going to Asia for slaughter.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fuck horse racing. Another stupid thing that has outlived its usefulness, (if there ever was a use).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My GF was president of the Washington state horse breeders association - that's the head of all horse racing in the state. He made his living breeding and racing Thoroughbred race horses.
    GF = girlfriend?

He/his?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    GF = girlfriend?

He/his?
    Grandfather
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism