Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Those Moonie girls at the airport and on the street corners were hot. And they all had crazy eyes. Crazy pure but soulless and empty.
    Not this type of crazy.

Name:  author-sharon-gilbert.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  38.4 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They had a big article in the Times magazine a couple weeks ago about Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church. That religion's pretty stupid too.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/14/p...nday-read.html

I had no idea about True World Foods before I heard this.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/14/p...nday-read.html

I had no idea about True World Foods before I heard this.
    I listened to that too and was like, Fuck, now every time I eat sushi I’ll remember who I’m supporting.

They still make boats, they're actually good boats. They claim they're not related to the church any more but come on man. https://www.trueworldmarine.com

In 1974 my newlywed very roman catholic parents were living in a tiny cottage working their restaurant jobs. The rev bought all the surrounding land, turned it into a compound, and evicted them.

Unsurprisingly, I was raised to hate the moonies.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    You already drank the koolaid. Joseph Smith got kicked out of Vermont for fucking sheep and then started the dumbest religion in the world.
    Take a lap
    Criticizing someone who left a religion he was born into is weak. Leaving the LDS church often means being ostracized by your family and friends as well. What’s the Buttahflake standard? He should have figured that shit out when he was 12 and told everyone to go fuck themselves?

I’m sure you’ve never taken a position that was wrong or you later reversed on, hence your tremendous success in this world.

Be less of a dick, you’re way too old for it to be edgy or cool.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Criticizing someone who left a religion he was born into is weak. Leaving the LDS church often means being ostracized by your family and friends as well. What’s the Buttahflake standard? He should have figured that shit out when he was 12 and told everyone to go fuck themselves?

I’m sure you’ve never taken a position that was wrong or you later reversed on, hence your tremendous success in this world.
    Buttah makes a fair point; I decided to go on a mission for an organization that I now stand at deep ethical odds with, and I have to live with that decision for the rest of my life. I also graduated from BYU, which has proved to be a mark on my professional career I'll never live down.

I could try to rationalize my mission by telling you that my girlfriend at the time (who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with) told me she would leave me if I didn't go, or I could tell you how a bunch of the leaders in my stake got together to tell me that I was the best prepared missionary they had ever sent out, or whatever...but the truth is, I didn't feel right about going and I still went. And now I have to live with that.

As a missionary I tried my best to live true to my sense of ethics; I volunteered with local organizations until I got ratted on and made to stop, I wasn't a dick to people of other faiths, and I tried hard to genuinely benefit the communities I served in. The fact that I have many friends from my mission (who now know that I am an outspoken critic of the LDS church) speaks to the type of missionary I was. I've since learned to not live with the delta between what I know to be right vs what I see, but I'll live with a touch of regret for going along with that for the rest of my life. I also had my first (and to date, my most profound(ly unpleasant) experience) on psychedelics as a Mormon missionary. Happy to write a TR about it later if there's interest here.

Anyway, fuck the church, fuck them for making it social suicide to NOT go on a mission, and fuck them for being so goddamn harmful to LGBT people (like myself). I'm deeply regretful that I was complicit in an organization founded by a child molester.

I don't feel the need to defend myself (least of all to Buttah), but I think the rest of my life speaks for itself. Post mission I spent a year volunteering abroad for causes I believed in (Nepal and Fiji), donated one of my organs (working on donating another), roasted over 150lbs of coffee for charity (on my own dime, an estimated expense of over $1k and easily 300 hours of time and I'm no dentist - by the way, I owe Buttah a bag and I plan on keeping that promise) and given multiple pairs of skis to multiple mags over the years. I currently volunteer on a weekly basis for two different organizations.

I'm not rich (I got stimulus checks every time they came out, if that's any indication), but I've made a great life for myself, I ski a lot of powder (poorly - I look forward to skiing with Buttah and getting all sorts of tips from him), and I still get to travel the world.

Anyway this is long in the tooth and I'm drunk from the good recommendations of neufox and others, so I'll end it here. I need to go bang my beautiful wife.

Hope you have fun mounting skis Buttah! Keep the good advice coming, I'll seriously try to do better next time. Still not man enough to tap with a drill, but I can keep the tips to the left . Anyway, I'll get you a bag of coffee next time I roast and then you can photograph yourself dumping it down the toilet. That'll be fun.

Some people are just assholes.. When they are, don't waste your time. Kick the dust off your shoes and move on. Works well with mission work and also works with other segments..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I also had my first (and to date, my most profound(ly unpleasant) experience) on psychedelics as a Mormon missionary. Happy to write a TR about it later if there's interest here.
    You know damn well we do if your willing to share it. This is TRG. There's two types here. Degens. And those who lie about being a degen.

Buttah makes a fair point; I decided to go on a mission for an organization that I now stand at deep ethical odds with, and I have to live with that decision for the rest of my life. I also graduated from BYU, which has proved to be a mark on my professional career I'll never live down.

I could try to rationalize my mission by telling you that my girlfriend at the time (who I thought I would spend the rest of my life with) told me she would leave me if I didn't go, or I could tell you how a bunch of the leaders in my stake got together to tell me that I was the best prepared missionary they had ever sent out, or whatever...but the truth is, I didn't feel right about going and I still went. And now I have to live with that.

As a missionary I tried my best to live true to my sense of ethics; I volunteered with local organizations until I got ratted on and made to stop, I wasn't a dick to people of other faiths, and I tried hard to genuinely benefit the communities I served in. The fact that I have many friends from my mission (who now know that I am an outspoken critic of the LDS church) speaks to the type of missionary I was. I've since learned to not live with the delta between what I know to be right vs what I see, but I'll live with a touch of regret for going along with that for the rest of my life. I also had my first (and to date, my most profound(ly unpleasant) experience) on psychedelics as a Mormon missionary. Happy to write a TR about it later if there's interest here.

Anyway, fuck the church, fuck them for making it social suicide to NOT go on a mission, and fuck them for being so goddamn harmful to LGBT people (like myself). I'm deeply regretful that I was complicit in an organization founded by a child molester.

I don't feel the need to defend myself (least of all to Buttah), but I think the rest of my life speaks for itself. Post mission I spent a year volunteering abroad for causes I believed in (Nepal and Fiji), donated one of my organs (working on donating another), roasted over 150lbs of coffee for charity (on my own dime, an estimated expense of over $1k and easily 300 hours of time and I'm no dentist - by the way, I owe Buttah a bag and I plan on keeping that promise) and given multiple pairs of skis to multiple mags over the years. I currently volunteer on a weekly basis for two different organizations.

I'm not rich (I got stimulus checks every time they came out, if that's any indication), but I've made a great life for myself, I ski a lot of powder (poorly - I look forward to skiing with Buttah and getting all sorts of tips from him), and I still get to travel the world.

Anyway this is long in the tooth and I'm drunk from the good recommendations of neufox and others, so I'll end it here. I need to go bang my beautiful wife.

Hope you have fun mounting skis Buttah! Keep the good advice coming, I'll seriously try to do better next time. Still not man enough to tap with a drill, but I can keep the tips to the left . Anyway, I'll get you a bag of coffee next time I roast and then you can photograph yourself dumping it down the toilet. That'll be fun.
    Thank you for your testimony.

My LDS parents threatened to kick me out of the house and disown me if I didn’t serve a mission. Luckily, I attended the U so my CV is intact and I was able to find an excellent girl with whom I left the church 5 years after our temple marriage.

I recommend treating buttah like your local membership clerk and put him on your blocked list. Some things in this life just aren’t worth your time.

Ms TBS grew up in a big LDS family (60+ first cousins) with roots going back to Nauvoo, the Mormon Brigade and Colonia Dias.

She left a dysfunctional situation at 18 and moved to Humboldt County CA. When I met her 9 years later she was a dope-smokin’ acid-droppin shroom-eatin’ hippy chick with an ex-husband and a side gig in October that required scissors and fine motor skills. We lived together a couple years before getting married.

But since she never formally renounced the faith, her extended family could somehow blithely ignore the incongruity between our lifestyle and scripture. Even now, three or four of her nieces are gay, and one has adopted a child with her partner.

And yet the believers seem to have this incredible ability to just tune out all the stuff that doesn’t fit their worldview. Like the fact that their granddaughter has two moms just gets airbrushed from their consciousness.

Anyway, @tgapp I hope you’ve been able to maintain a loving, non-judgemental relationship with your family. It can’t be easy to overcome all the baggage that comes with realizing that their lifestyle isn’t for you when it’s so deeply embedded in every aspect of your - and your families’ - identity.

Thread title should be changed to all religions… they’re all fucking stupid. Humankind spans all religions…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Thread title should be changed to all religions… they’re all fucking stupid. Humankind spans all religions…

Idk...this one seems legit

https://twitter.com/TheRealHoarse/st...AMXWSP8fg&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    See posts 708 and 726.

Gcooker, we’ve had various threads discussing different religions and the venalities and banalities that reside within. This one was intended to focus more on the hilarities of the Xtian one, but I’ve noticed that God gives zero shits about TRG thread drift so……

tgapp, thanks fer your post.

Thanks for sharing Tgapp (and jackattack) - it's nice to read about people becoming happier despite the family and religious upbringings that are dealt to us not by choice

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Thank you for your testimony.

My LDS parents threatened to kick me out of the house and disown me if I didn’t serve a mission. Luckily, I attended the U so my CV is intact and I was able to find an excellent girl with whom I left the church 5 years after our temple marriage.

I recommend treating buttah like your local membership clerk and put him on your blocked list. Some things in this life just aren’t worth your time.
    hell yeah, we should exchange signs and tokens if we ever meet up. serving a mission was a trip (literally!!).

and TBS - sounds like your missus has her head on straight, I'm sorry the same can't be said for her family. I know what it feels like to get disowned from my extended fam - luckily, my immediate family is super awesome. we get along incredibly well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It should be illegal to expose people to religion until age 21.

https://dudeism.com/ordination/

I think you just need something ^^ more easy going
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Some kids at school have been giving my 1st grade son a hard time because he doesn't "love God." Nothing serious, but he's heard it enough that he's getting annoyed.

My wife is suggesting he say polite things about how they should respect each others beliefs. I see no need for him to be polite in this situation if he doesn't want to be. Sometimes it's appropriate for even a seven year old to tell people to fuck off.

tell him to ask " which one? "

sounds like he is gona need a little coaching on how to instill some FUD in these god heads

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_FrX0QUiM

Fuck me I can't get the link to embed

Jesus Loves You
    Everybody else thinks you're an asshole

Say what you will about the evils of Mormonism, Dude, but they pale in comparison to Catholicism. Mormons didn't even exist before the mid-19th Century. The Catholic Church has been fucking shit up for almost 2,000 years.

and TBS - sounds like your missus has her head on straight, I'm sorry the same can't be said for her family. I know what it feels like to get disowned from my extended fam - luckily, my immediate family is super awesome. we get along incredibly well.
    She does - she's definitely the adult in our family
    Her being born of the faith has it's strengths and weaknesses. Her mom used to turn us in to the local membership committee whenever we moved.
    At first it was annoying, but then I decided to have fun when the missionaries showed up.

Missionary - "Would you like to learn more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?" (You know the intro...)
    Me - "Nah, I follow the Eightfold Path. I'm happy where that takes me"
    MIssionary - "Eightfold Path?"
    Me - "I'm a Buddhist"
    Missionary - "Hmmm, I don't know much about Buddhism"

Me - "How can you possibly bring new people to your faith when you've done zero competitive analysis versus other religions? Don't they put you thru some sort of SWOT training versus other faiths? They should, given the acquisition cost per convert. I mean really, what makes your religion better than mine? Buddhists can drink alcohol and caffeine, and have sex outside marriage, but Mormons can't. I can go skiing on Sundays. Can you?

Missionary - mumble
    Me - "Tell ya what. Go learn about Buddhism and THEN come back and tell me why I should abandon my faith for yours."

Never had anyone come back...

I forget how (drinking?) but I handed the missionary a dynafit ski/binding from the rack next to the door and said

" feel how light that is "

oh yeah !

I was obviously a lost cause and they never did come back

Didn’t get many Mormons growing up but the Jehovas witness crew was fun to toy with. I would invite them in to discuss my dark lord savior, Thee Prince of Darkness. As they turned to walk away a friendly “Satan loves you!!” Put a pep in their step.