Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

I’m not saying Christianity correlates with stupidity, but...

XXX and the Church of the Aquaseal.
    At least it’s got something factual I can believe in.

Edit to add: Who’s making the T-shirt?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

actualy if yer all into the hwole brevity thing I've always been the dude since highschool

but its not like i'm gona sue the Cohen bros cuz the dude abides
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Aquaseal ties the room together.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Seriously. The false equivalency between faith in the supernatural and a position that requires demonstrable proof with a body of evidence is boggling. Using this surreal logic one could basically postulate anything and find equivalence in the challenge "Well, I think the earth rides on the back of a tortoise whose drive is fuel by a galactic hunger for space lettuce. You think it's governed by astrophysics. I have faith in this, you have faith in your position so well - samesies! Stop being so high and mighty - we both have faith after all"
    Eggsactly
    You guys sound exactly like the zealots. Some religious beliefs can be dismissed as provably wrong--that the world was created in 6 days or that earth is the center of the universe, but the idea that there is some kind of self-aware cosmic intelligence that created the world--which is what a lot of people believe these days (I don't) is not provably wrong (or right). Same with the belief in an afterlife (which I don't believe in) because none of us have died to find out. A belief that there is no god or no afterlife is certainly realistic but not provable. A lot of intellectual arrogance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    — Hitchens's Razor
    What can be asserted without evidence yes--what is believed without evidence no. Hitchens' attacks on religion are of a kind with religions' attacks on other religions and on heresy.

I'll see your Hitchens' Razor and raise you one Pascal's Wager.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Some religious beliefs can be dismissed as provably wrong--that the world was created in 6 days or that earth is the center of the universe
    So the standard is provably wrong.... That's little better than the ducking stool.

A lot of intellectual arrogance here.
    Who gets to decide what is provable?

what is believed without evidence no.
    The homeless guy on 2nd and Pine arguing with a lamppost believes it's talking back to him....

Hitchens' attacks on religion are of a kind with religions' attacks on other religions and on heresy.
    No. Not at all on a par with claiming your own sky fairies superiority.. sky fairies are all equally baseless in reality and unproven. and nowhere near on par as attacking disbelief in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A belief that there is no god or no afterlife is certainly realistic but not provable. A lot of intellectual arrogance here.
    The issue is not that there is a belief of no god, but no belief in a god. Of course it's not provable. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the irony.

What can be asserted without evidence yes--what is believed without evidence no. Hitchens' attacks on religion are of a kind with religions' attacks on other religions and on heresy.

I'll see your Hitchens' Razor and raise you one Pascal's Wager.
    Pascals wager assumes there is one god. What if there's a bunch or that one chose the wrong, heretical one?

Once one passes into the domain of belief, logic has no purchase, as evidenced.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The homeless guy on 2nd and Pine arguing with a lamppost believes it's talking back to him.
    That lamppost is a fucking asshole.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Pascals wager assumes there is one god. What if there's a bunch or that one chose the wrong, heretical one?
    While there are ~4000 "recognized" religions worldwide to choose from.

It's not really much of a bet betting on god.

I’m not saying Christianity correlates with stupidity, but...

Over the years I have come to a few conclusions on this.

Nothing I say or do will make a lick of difference to most people (my kid is the exception and I actually swayed my college roommate to not believe in gods)
    The confusion of being raised Roman Catholic with a scientific rational mind, being taught science in school but the opposite at church and bible study confused me, that confusion turned to anger and I began using drugs, fighting, vandalizing, and theft. Due to this I was sent to Catholic School and to Bible Camp (4 weeks intensive West Virginia woods camp) and evening Bible Study groups. At one point in my life I went to service 3 times a week and never believed in any of it the whole time and it just pissed me off more. In hindsight I realize this was lazy parenting “my kid’s fucked, maybe god will save him” so I was pawned off to the priests. In my late teens and early 20’s I would get drunk and smack bibles out of the street preachers hands and banish them to hell with my pointer finger in Indiana PA.
    Fast forward to today, I mostly gave up the fight, the systemic pedophilia and subsequent cover-ups has really struck a nerve now that I have a 4yr old and has reopened some old anger.
    Believe it or not I wish I had faith and believed in gods (any god really), life would be so nice and comforting, knowing when I die I will be with loved ones and there is always someone watching over me, helping me along through life. My fellow lemmings would be friendly, I’d go to church events and activities, make friends, pray, be happy. My brain just won’t allow me to believe in bullshit unfortunately.
    Now it pisses me off that I am somehow the outcast in most places for not having faith in anything. I seriously feel like I’m taking crazy pills most days. Luckily I live in a progressive area with educated people, god help me if I lived in Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

People have the right to believe in whatever they want, not worth the stress anymore. I’m really hoping for some aliens to arrive or to find life elsewhere but in reality the religions will just use that as “another example of god’s awesome power”

Fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I’m really hoping for some aliens to arrive or to find life elsewhere
    Mars rover's large methane discovery excites scientists

Curiosity’s record-breaking measurement fuels speculation it is from microbial Martians

^ looking increasingly likely to be not non believable.

Certainly more believable than the Loch Ness Monster.

Mars rover's large methane discovery excites scientists

Curiosity’s record-breaking measurement fuels speculation it is from microbial Martians

^ looking increasingly likely to be not non believable.

Certainly more believable than the Loch Ness Monster.
    Great, god’s farts have been discovered.

Praise him!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Aquaseal ties the room together.
    Actually aquaseal makes the room waterproof.

If you have enough of it.
    watch out for snakes

But he's not wrong. It does contribute to the structural integrity. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    So your position is that you only believe unicorns don’t exist? Or do you know it?
    i believe that unicorns do not exist. much like i believe gods do not exist. i think they are equally ridiculous and i could not give a lesser shit about either. well, i'd be cool with unicorns unless they were uniformly hostile but any gods can fuck right off.

It's not worth the time to argue with believers man. You see it, I see it, Buster sees it. Beyond that it's good luck with that stuff fellas I guess.

It's a bigger question than is required for daily existence, so I get it. But I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i believe that unicorns do not exist. much like i believe gods do not exist. i think they are equally ridiculous and i could not give a lesser shit about either. well, i'd be cool with unicorns unless they were uniformly hostile but any gods can fuck right off.
    Seems like agnosticism, not atheism.

Did he say he was an atheist? I didn't see that part.

i did not

Yeah I know.

What wyeaster said was that nobody knows shit. I’m sure I know that unicorns don’t exist.

i guess you are an aunicornist

Maybe a hyphen would help that.

All this believe and not believe in stories that began several millennia ago. What defined a ‘god’ then, and what defines one now? Our current tech allows us to do much what was attributed to god(s) a couple thousand years ago. We can describe abstract concepts of the universe using math and have proven some of it using the scientific method. And we are still learning, at ever increasing rates. So what exactly is god, today, if I were to meet it/them on the street? Would I even be able to recognize it/them for what it/they are? Is it a state of consciousness, an ability to manifest that consciousness in more than one point in space and time? Or...?
    And does it even matter.

Never mind, my daughter is having bad dreams. Need to go and reassure her. What fable should I use this time I wonder...