Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Everybody knows piers is a twit

He got kicked off American tv for being insipid

Quite an achievement

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Ya, that line of logic is just as fallible to the same criticism.. What was there before the superior intelligence being?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ya, that line of logic is just as fallible to the same criticism.. What was there before the superior intelligence being?
    You will have to ask the Superior Intelligence Being THAT question.

Piers is on the right track. He recognizes the limitations of matter and energy and the known universe and that origins still need to be discovered and explained.

What does it matter?
    After all, we are all just dust, well organised over time, by chance, with lives that give us semblance of souls.
    No one is.
    Nothing really matters.
    Love is nothing.
    There is no justice.

LOL.
    Keep on.
    Life is just an illusion of directed and undirected intent and meaning.
    Gotta jet! Wife just got a good trilogy for us to watch!

riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Chants are interesting. They are really just another form of mind control that religions or really any society have dreamed up. The constant drone and repetition has effects on the brain, and is one of many ways to induce a trance or meditative state. Once in such a state, it is easy to see or believe in god, or just about anything. It is also a good time for another person to put thoughts in your head.

Native Americans did it with drums and dance (and some drugs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The Grateful Dead did it with drums and dance (and some drugs)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3190.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	287979

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You will have to ask the Superior Intelligence Being THAT question.

Piers is on the right track. He recognizes the limitations of matter and energy and the known universe and that origins still need to be discovered and explained.
    I like the rubber band theory. Before the LAST big bang there was another big bang, the universe expanded from there until it reached the limits of all gravity on mass then stopped expanding and began to contract down to one massive black hole contracting in to itself until another big BANG!! and the cycle goes again... exactly the same way it went last time under the exact same conditions. Every sentient being that evolved out of it makes the exact same decisions because it always happens exactly the same way over and over. Deja vu? God knowing everything.. because if there is one God's seen it play out the same way over and over for all eternity..

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How to call bullshit on big data

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annal...term=TNY_Daily

And actually the study doesn't say that watching Berlusconi's station makes you less intelligent, only that it makes you more likely to vote for candidates that communicate the same way the station does. Plus there's the hidden assumption of the author that people who vote for populist candidates are less intelligent. Might be true, but the study didn't address that. And please, let's not confuse intelligence with education. See anti-vaxxers.
    Hey bro, maybe you should have at least read the abstract? And, when you can find the time, the paper is not paywalled and is decidedly well referenced. Because that's exactly what they said - consuming too much stupid TV makes you fkn stupid, something very strongly correlated with pig-eyed populist cuckdom. To wit:

Abstract
    We study the political impact of commercial television in Italy exploiting the staggered introduction of Berlusconi's private TV network, Mediaset, in the early 1980s. We find that individuals with early access to Mediaset all-entertainment content were more likely to vote for Berlusconi's party in 1994, when he first ran for office. The effect persists for five elections and is driven by heavy TV viewers, namely the very young and the elderly. Regarding possible mechanisms, we find that individuals exposed to entertainment TV as children were less cognitively sophisticated and civic-minded as adults, and ultimately more vulnerable to Berlusconi's populist rhetoric.

There is extensive evidence that exposure to biased news on TV can influence viewers’ voting decisions (DellaVigna and Kaplan 2007; Enikolopov, Petrova, and Zhuravskaya 2011).

News programs represent, however, just a fraction of total TV airtime, and other types of content may also influence viewers’ attitudes. Indeed, previous research indicates that, by priming particular cultural models, light entertainment shows, soap operas, and advertising can have important and persistent effects on various types of non-political behavior, such as civic engagement, gender attitudes, and consumption choices (Putnam 2000; Olken 2009; Jensen and Oster 2009; Bursztyn and Cantoni 2016; La Ferrara, Chong, and Duryea 2012).

In addition, there is evidence that exposure to television at a young age can influence cognitive skills, though with contrasting effects for educational and entertainment programs
    (Ennemoser and Schneider 2007; Kearney and Levine 2015b; Christakis
    et al. 2004; Hancox, Milne, and Poulton 2005; Zimmerman and Christakis 2007).

Our research contributes to the literature on the impact of mass media in three ways.
    First, we show that non-informative, entertainment TV can have a tangi-ble impact on political preferences, and we explore possible explanations for this effect. In this respect, our findings complement previous contributions on the effect of (biased) news content on voting, namely the work of DellaVigna and Kaplan (2007) on the effect of Fox News on support for Republicans, and of Enikolopov, Petrova, and Zhuravskaya (2011) on the negative impact of the independent Russian channel NTV on support for Putin. In this regard, our work is especially related to Barone, D’Acunto, and Narciso (2015), who study the effect of pro-Berlusconi bias in Mediaset news on local elections in one Italian region.

Second, our work relates to previous contributions on the effect of television on cognitive abilities (Gentzkow and Shapiro 2008) and civic attitudes (Putnam 2000, Olken 2009). In particular, our results represent an important qualification
    with respect to these studies in that they isolate the effect of entertainment content
    on cognitive and noncognitive outcomes, and explore the broader implications of
    this effect for political preferences.

Last but not least, our research contributes to a growing literature, and a vast ongoing public debate, on the determinants of support for populist parties around the world (Mughan, Bean, and McAllister 2003; Mudde 2007; Oesch 2008; Dippel, Gold, and Heblich 2015). While popular discontent with the political establishment is likely to have deep socioeconomic roots, our findings suggest that by popularizing certain linguistic codes and cultural models, entertainment television may have contributed to creating a fertile ground for the success of populist leaders.

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/...7/aer.20150958
    Last edited by highangle; 07-07-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    So you're saying that 1984 wasn't the first time the Trailblazers picked Sam Bowie over MJ. Their management is worse than I thought!
    And it won't be the last either.. 1984 has happened before countless times and will happen again infinite times..

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Fantastic!

Jim Jefferies nails it's.

Also NSFW
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L3Xg0lP.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	288833
    Last edited by puregravity; 07-19-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post

Jim Jefferies nails it's.

Also NSFW
    Dig it.
    That's actually pretty funny.
    Sending to all my religious friends ...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Hey bro, maybe you should have at least read the abstract? And, when you can find the time, the paper is not paywalled and is decidedly well referenced. Because that's exactly what they said - consuming too much stupid TV makes you fkn stupid, something very strongly correlated with pig-eyed populist cuckdom. To wit:

Abstract
    We study the political impact of commercial television in Italy exploiting the staggered introduction of Berlusconi's private TV network, Mediaset, in the early 1980s. We find that individuals with early access to Mediaset all-entertainment content were more likely to vote for Berlusconi's party in 1994, when he first ran for office. The effect persists for five elections and is driven by heavy TV viewers, namely the very young and the elderly. Regarding possible mechanisms, we find that individuals exposed to entertainment TV as children were less cognitively sophisticated and civic-minded as adults, and ultimately more vulnerable to Berlusconi's populist rhetoric.

There is extensive evidence that exposure to biased news on TV can influence viewers’ voting decisions (DellaVigna and Kaplan 2007; Enikolopov, Petrova, and Zhuravskaya 2011).

News programs represent, however, just a fraction of total TV airtime, and other types of content may also influence viewers’ attitudes. Indeed, previous research indicates that, by priming particular cultural models, light entertainment shows, soap operas, and advertising can have important and persistent effects on various types of non-political behavior, such as civic engagement, gender attitudes, and consumption choices (Putnam 2000; Olken 2009; Jensen and Oster 2009; Bursztyn and Cantoni 2016; La Ferrara, Chong, and Duryea 2012).

In addition, there is evidence that exposure to television at a young age can influence cognitive skills, though with contrasting effects for educational and entertainment programs
    (Ennemoser and Schneider 2007; Kearney and Levine 2015b; Christakis
    et al. 2004; Hancox, Milne, and Poulton 2005; Zimmerman and Christakis 2007).

Our research contributes to the literature on the impact of mass media in three ways.
    First, we show that non-informative, entertainment TV can have a tangi-ble impact on political preferences, and we explore possible explanations for this effect. In this respect, our findings complement previous contributions on the effect of (biased) news content on voting, namely the work of DellaVigna and Kaplan (2007) on the effect of Fox News on support for Republicans, and of Enikolopov, Petrova, and Zhuravskaya (2011) on the negative impact of the independent Russian channel NTV on support for Putin. In this regard, our work is especially related to Barone, D’Acunto, and Narciso (2015), who study the effect of pro-Berlusconi bias in Mediaset news on local elections in one Italian region.

Second, our work relates to previous contributions on the effect of television on cognitive abilities (Gentzkow and Shapiro 2008) and civic attitudes (Putnam 2000, Olken 2009). In particular, our results represent an important qualification
    with respect to these studies in that they isolate the effect of entertainment content
    on cognitive and noncognitive outcomes, and explore the broader implications of
    this effect for political preferences.

Last but not least, our research contributes to a growing literature, and a vast ongoing public debate, on the determinants of support for populist parties around the world (Mughan, Bean, and McAllister 2003; Mudde 2007; Oesch 2008; Dippel, Gold, and Heblich 2015). While popular discontent with the political establishment is likely to have deep socioeconomic roots, our findings suggest that by popularizing certain linguistic codes and cultural models, entertainment television may have contributed to creating a fertile ground for the success of populist leaders.

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/...7/aer.20150958
    I stand by what I said. The authors ASSUMED that Berlusconi voters were less cognitively sophisticated because they voted for Berlusconi. Circular reasoning. They didn't prove it. And there's the issue of cause and effect--even if Berlusconi voters were less intelligent--whatever that means and however you measure that--did TV make them dumber or do dumb people watch more TV? The article reeks of the same kind of contempt for less educated voters that has got the Democratic party in trouble in 2016.

I do agree that television enhances the chances of success of high intensity candidates who appeal to the emotions. Unless you have a chance to see and hear a politician in person the impact of such a politician is greatly blunted if you're only reading about them. Hitler knew that--hence the huge rallies. Trump learned from that playbook.

And I am not your brother, sport.

TV political messaging is just comic books in video. Guess that they were right. Comic books will bring ruination to the nation.

I stand by what I said. The authors ASSUMED that Berlusconi voters were less cognitively sophisticated because they voted for Berlusconi. Circular reasoning. They didn't prove it. And there's the issue of cause and effect--even if Berlusconi voters were less intelligent--whatever that means and however you measure that--did TV make them dumber or do dumb people watch more TV? The article reeks of the same kind of contempt for less educated voters that has got the Democratic party in trouble in 2016.

I do agree that television enhances the chances of success of high intensity candidates who appeal to the emotions. Unless you have a chance to see and hear a politician in person the impact of such a politician is greatly blunted if you're only reading about them. Hitler knew that--hence the huge rallies. Trump learned from that playbook.

And I am not your brother, sport.
    Hey bro.

Sheriff from a neighboring town was on the news the other night bitching about I-639 (restrictions on AR-15s). During the course of the interview he shouted: "IT IS A GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!"

Once again... reporters failed to follow-up with the obvious question: Was that in the book of Joshua, Judges or Ruth?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Sheriff from a neighboring town was on the news the other night bitching about I-639 (restrictions on AR-15s). During the course of the interview he shouted: "IT IS A GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO OWN GUNS!"

Once again... reporters failed to follow-up with the obvious question: Was that in the book of Joshua, Judges or Ruth?
    God gave us life. Therefore our wants and desires are god given. Therefore my want for an AR-15 is god given.

Come on now KQ. You know the logic.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Hey bro.
    Yeah, buster?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    TV political messaging is just comic books in video. Guess that they were right. Comic books will bring ruination to the nation.
    stop or you'll piss off austin

I stand by what I said.
    Good for you Bro. Let us know when you publish, Bro.

No no no.....

Consult the Book of Armaments! BROTHER MAYNARD: Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one. SECOND BROTHER: And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy."

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Good for you Bro. Let us know when you publish, Bro.
    needs more edits, buddy

Unless you have a chance to see and hear a politician in person the impact of such a politician is greatly blunted if you're only reading about them.
    I'm working on a very similar argument for getting my wife to see Phish.

....wrong thread?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I'm working on a very similar argument for getting my wife to see Phish.

....wrong thread?
    Wrong band.