Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Well, salad. We know that much.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    try to imagine the coma
    His GF was in a coma?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Walter Sobchak: What the fuck are you talking about? The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude! I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, you do not... Also, Dude, "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Asian-American," please.
    XXX-er,

I was not talking about human beings. I was referring to a piece of leather. Someone made a post about "assless chaps" and somebody else said something about how you can't wear chaps with shorts. There is a form of chaps that are much shorter than normal and only cover the upper portion of a leg, but not the lower portion of a leg. This type of chap is called a chink. I was a hunting guide years ago and I had a pair. They are much more versatile if you are frequently mounting and dismounting on rough terrain like I was than normal, longer, chaps.

My apologies that my post was not clear about the subject.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    XXX-er,

I was not talking about human beings. I was referring to a piece of leather. Someone made a post about "assless chaps" and somebody else said something about how you can't wear chaps with shorts. There is a form of chaps that are much shorter than normal and only cover the upper portion of a leg, but not the lower portion of a leg. This type of chap is called a chink. I was a hunting guide years ago and I had a pair. They are much more versatile if you are frequently mounting and dismounting on rough terrain like I was than normal, longer, chaps.

My apologies that my post was not clear about the subject.
    Dude, we're just making jokes, use of that quote was entirely based on being able to tie it to the the big Lebowski and I couldn't find a vid segment
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-05-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That's why I always liked going to the service in a cathedral. If I got bored I could always stare at the architecture or stained glass.

Old Goat - evensong at an Episcopal or Anglican church is beautiful and don't get me started on monks chanting. Love that! Stayed at a monastery in Peru once. The sounds of the monks chants echoing through the buildings/grounds was amazing.
    "If you got bored"? I was bored for the instant I walked into church. It was always an hour plus of trying occupy my mind with anything I could find while the priest droned on and on.

Chants are interesting. They are really just another form of mind control that religions or really any society have dreamed up. The constant drone and repetition has effects on the brain, and is one of many ways to induce a trance or meditative state. Once in such a state, it is easy to see or believe in god, or just about anything. It is also a good time for another person to put thoughts in your head.

Native Americans did it with drums and dance (and some drugs.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    "If you got bored"? I was bored for the instant I walked into church. It was always an hour plus of trying occupy my mind with anything I could find while the priest droned on and on.

Chants are interesting. They are really just another form of mind control that religions or really any society have dreamed up. The constant drone and repetition has effects on the brain, and is one of many ways to induce a trance or meditative state. Once in such a state, it is easy to see or believe in god, or just about anything. It is also a good time for another person to put thoughts in your head.

Native Americans did it with drums and dance (and some drugs.)
    Wasn't always boring. St. James in Seattle had a wonderful homilist - Father Ryan. Obviously their Jedi mind tricks didn't work on me ad I'm now an atheist (though I harbor no ill- will towards my Catholic upbringing). I blame the Jesuits for teaching me everything is open to interpretation.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Granted. I needed to make my post sound biblical. Although, I used it improperly.
    A ponderous thought you have - Then what IS Caesar's?
    I didn't feel you misquoted. It wasn't normal nor suggested to read and quote the Bible when I got my religous education from professionals so IDK. I believe that Jesus suggested that what Caesar asks what I thought he deserved are not the same number. Caesar tells me how much he wants. I try to give Caesar what I feel is his. It's in the Bible if that's what you want to hear.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    "
    The Grateful Dead did it with drums and dance (and some drugs.)
    fify
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    It wasn't normal nor suggested to read and quote the Bible when I got my religous education from professionals so IDK.
    Professionals? Were you a theology student?

This thread about the make-believe has some serious legs.

Its a thread about the universally correct mounting point that applies to all Powder and WC DH skis with strong opinions by non skiers. Seems normal TGR.

The first 2 minutes IMO makes so much sense.
    I agree that up until age 20 no child should be taught any religion.
    Can't say I agree with everything said by Cervais but the first 2 are so true to me.

Shame I grew up Catholic. I'm a better Christian now that I'm not a practicing one.

This explains it best in how I see it :
    "a tree that does not bend with the wind shall break.
    Confucius said I believe and it already happened to the Catholic monarchy

"Shame I grew up Catholic. I'm a better Christian now that I'm not a practicing one. "

So, you ate before communion and chewed the host making Jesus cry and now that you don't go to church you are socking away more of that grace? I don't go the church much because I've been a practicing Catholic for so many decades that think I finally got it down.

I wonder sometimes. Where do Evangelical Atheists meet? Starbucks?

This guy's a senior pastor in The United Methodist Church. He's pretty close to being fired for the stuff he says and the books he writes..

"For many evangelical Christians, morality means essentially two things: trusting and following the plan that somebody else has for your life and submitting to authority. Without the understanding that Jesus Christ's authority is in his blood and that it confers authority on all the world's crucified, Christianity is a training ground for fascist citizenship."- Morgan Guyton
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I wonder sometimes. Where do Evangelical Atheists meet? Starbucks?
    We got kicked out of Starbucks for making people uncomfortable.
    I think it was a priest and his girlfriend that complained.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    "Christianity is a training ground for fascist citizenship."- Morgan Guyton
    I failed the training.

Nice try. Now say two hail Marys and make a good act of.........

I've always thought that Christians who danced with Rattlers or beat themselves with Barnes wire were a bit over the top.

The More You Watch, the More You Vote Populist

A new study ties consumption of entertainment television in Italy to support for Silvio Berlusconi.

Does watching television make people stupid? Are stupid people more likely to vote for populist parties? And can these effects linger for years, or even decades?

If you had asked me a few days ago, I would have been highly skeptical of these claims. They sound far too much like the sort of thing educated people want to believe. But a meticulous new paper published in the American Economic Review, one of the world’s most prestigious social-science journals, suggests that there might be truth to these clichés.

In the study, three economists, Ruben Durante, Paolo Pinotti, and Andrea Tesei, were able to provide strong evidence for a shocking set of conclusions: Watching a lot of entertainment TV does seem to have an adverse impact on your intelligence. And it also makes you more likely to vote for populist parties. ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...opulist/593287

Nice try. Now say two hail Marys and make a good act of.........
    Not trying. Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

My other favorite is

"May the force be with you
    And Han Solo too
    A reading from Luke Skywalker
    You're not my father, that's immposible" - my messed up imagination

Seriously I grew up loving the church until I was questioning almost every dogmatic thing about it. By grade 7 I had given up on it after sitting in church for my confirmation and being pissed it wasn't a choice but I was be indoctrinated.
    M,y comment about being Catholic was a shame wasn't meant to insult. I should've explained how it halted my belief. I wasn't a good match for the Catholic faith. That's all
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

I've always thought that Christians who danced with Rattlers or beat themselves with Barnes wire were a bit over the top.
    What about Filipino Catholics crucifying some volunteer every Easter? Not even Good Friday, but Easter...Light a candle? Say a Novena?

I was asking about evangelical athiests. And you are not. Just yer busting balls

Whoa. They actually use nails I just read. The Church apparently opposes it but the people don't care.

That's some hard ass worship. Wonder if there is some kind of record for number of consecutive times crucified. Like a turns all year thing.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    A new study ties consumption of entertainment television in Italy to support for Silvio Berlusconi.

Does watching television make people stupid? Are stupid people more likely to vote for populist parties? And can these effects linger for years, or even decades?

If you had asked me a few days ago, I would have been highly skeptical of these claims. They sound far too much like the sort of thing educated people want to believe. But a meticulous new paper published in the American Economic Review, one of the world’s most prestigious social-science journals, suggests that there might be truth to these clichés.

In the study, three economists, Ruben Durante, Paolo Pinotti, and Andrea Tesei, were able to provide strong evidence for a shocking set of conclusions: Watching a lot of entertainment TV does seem to have an adverse impact on your intelligence. And it also makes you more likely to vote for populist parties. ...

How to call bullshit on big data

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annal...term=TNY_Daily

And actually the study doesn't say that watching Berlusconi's station makes you less intelligent, only that it makes you more likely to vote for candidates that communicate the same way the station does. Plus there's the hidden assumption of the author that people who vote for populist candidates are less intelligent. Might be true, but the study didn't address that. And please, let's not confuse intelligence with education. See anti-vaxxers.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

I decided this decades (at least 4) ago.