Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @ PNWB: IN matters of faith and existence I only believe that we have no fucking idea what's going on. I do, however, believe that religiously.
    We live - we die - that’s it

The rest is up to you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    So are athiests faithless?
    Yes by definition

No faith in god

Non-believer. I hear your stories and I don’t believe them.

It’s all rainmaking:
    If it rains, you were right to pay the rainmaker.
    If it doesn’t rain, you didn’t pay the rainmaker enough, pay more until it rains.

Either way, rainmaker gets a comfy house and a Cadillac for being smarter than the dumb animals he controls.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Yes by definition

No faith in god

they have faith there is no god

it's not the same. faith in god and no faith in god is that I know there is no god. that's it. I don't believe. I have no faith in not believing in faith. it's not a matter of faith.

nobody knows shit. it's all belief.

you are an idiot

i know that an object falls at 9.8 meters/second squared. the earth is round, etc

why isn't live, you die enough? is your pitiful existence so lame you need to believe in something? Isn't good food and love and wine enough?

tool

thats right man don't jump at the prices too early wait for your price, that is real faith that you can literaly take to the bank and I don't camp out for sales or nothing, just aware of whats goin on

I always wonder how religion became a thing? 10,000 years ago I could see my self making shit and of course repairing things with aqua seal but i think my mind would just be empty of the big questions
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is a Cotopaxi bag worth $10?
    TR reqd

it's not the same. faith in god and no faith in god is that I know there is no god. that's it. I don't believe. I have no faith in not believing in faith. it's not a matter of faith.
    Your insisting that you know there is no god is exactly the same as the believer insisting he knows there is a god--it's the certainty of the true believer and is responsible for a lot of evil in the world.

Religion does some good--it fulfills the need for ritual as a way of acknowledging the importance of major life events like birth, marriage, death or just having a day off work. (In Judaism the Sabbath is considered the most important holiday.) Religious rituals and holidays also connect us to our childhood and our parents and grandparents. A lot of people who go to church etc are not believers--my atheist brother was president of his temple. (60% of self identified Jews are atheists.) Unfortunately we don't have adequate secular rituals--baby gender reveal parties and fireworks on the 4th don't cut it.
    Personally I am unable to participate in religious rituals in this way but I understand why many people can.

Where religion becomes dangerous is when believers try to impose their beliefs on others or attack people with differing beliefs--certainty, whether in religion, science, or politics is a dangerous thing. Religion is evil when it encourages people to accept the evil in their lives with the promise of a better life after death.

I used to work with a full on christian ex-pro football player turned software engineer turned end user HW guy, the shit he couldn't just accept was always mystifying so we were like the " Odd Couple " and I wasn't Felix

I'd be like you don't need to know that or that and i don't what going on there but if you do this it will probably work and get you outa there

i don't have faith in it my lack of believe

you are an idiot

i know that an object falls at 9.8 meters/second squared. the earth is round, etc

why isn't live, you die enough? is your pitiful existence so lame you need to believe in something? Isn't good food and love and wine enough?

tool
    somebody forgot to beat off this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Your insisting that you know there is no god is exactly the same as the believer insisting he knows there is a god--it's the certainty of the true believer and is responsible for a lot of evil in the world.

Religion does some good--it fulfills the need for ritual as a way of acknowledging the importance of major life events like birth, marriage, death or just having a day off work. (In Judaism the Sabbath is considered the most important holiday.) Religious rituals and holidays also connect us to our childhood and our parents and grandparents. A lot of people who go to church etc are not believers--my atheist brother was president of his temple. (60% of self identified Jews are atheists.) ]
    religion in a nutshell for me

My mom wanted to go to church ( anglican ) for what reason mystifys me but my dad wouldn't go and so he would drop us at church and fall asleep in his chair at home cuz he worked so fucking hard at the plant, SO many times we ended up having to walk home a fair way, so because my mom didn't drive/never did any exercise/wouldn't walk anywhere/wore them high heels ... having to go to church didn't last very long

I thot the big church sucked, just sitting there all quiet on a hard wooden bench being bored shitless and my buddies were out having a good time being 8 yr old kids

Sunday school was stupid cuz they tell ya these stories which don't make any sense to the logical mind, the same mind some other smart people are teaching the scientific method to all week at school ... which do make sense

thats my earliest recollection of religion, nothing even remotley spiritual happened there or since

edit : my buddy an old white non religoius guy went to temple, so I asked what he thot about Judism he said " its a tribe not a religion, 2 guys in the back are arguing loudly over business, people are talking laughing sleeping sand that guy up front deosnt miss a beat just keeps talkign "
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-24-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Your insisting that you know there is no god is exactly the same as the believer insisting he knows there is a god
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No.
    Seriously. The false equivalency between faith in the supernatural and a position that requires demonstrable proof with a body of evidence is boggling. Using this surreal logic one could basically postulate anything and find equivalence in the challenge "Well, I think the earth rides on the back of a tortoise whose drive is fuel by a galactic hunger for space lettuce. You think it's governed by astrophysics. I have faith in this, you have faith in your position so well - samesies! Stop being so high and mighty - we both have faith after all"

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Seriously. The false equivalency between faith in the supernatural and a position that requires demonstrable proof with a body of evidence is boggling. Using this surreal logic one could basically postulate anything and find equivalence in the challenge "Well, I think the earth rides on the back of a tortoise whose drive is fuel by a galactic hunger for space lettuce. You think it's governed by astrophysics. I have faith in this, you have faith in your position so well - samesies! Stop being so high and mighty - we both have faith after all"
    Eggsactly

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    — Hitchens's Razor
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

so the thread title is asking about Christianity but does the same go for ANY religion ?

I personaly look at them all being about the same thing

the exception would be Dudeism
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so the thread title is asking about Christianity but does the same go for ANY religion ?

I think so, again distinguishing between religion and faith.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

the exception would be Dudeisms
    Religions that emerged from men of peace all end up being weaponized at times, and religions that were devised as get rich quick schemes still somehow manage to bring people peace.

You'd probably have to be more stupid to believe some religions..

But the correlation between religiosity and intellect is well studied and settled.

How about Dudism? an ancient philosophy that preaches non-preachiness, practices as little as possible, and above all, uh…lost my train of thought there.

I’m not saying Christianity correlates with stupidity, but...

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    nobody knows shit. it's all belief.
    So your position is that you only believe unicorns don’t exist? Or do you know it?

I like this site

http://www.religioustolerance.org/index_about.htm

Our definition of religious tolerance:
    This site promotes religious tolerance which we define as: "respecting the freedom of other individuals to follow freely their own religious and spiritual paths, without oppression or active discrimination against them. This is a human right promoted by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights.. Ultimately, it leads to peace in a land of religious diversity, and to religious freedom for all.