Here's what four decades of "Christian" political activism has produced:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190625-213839.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	506.0 KB 
ID:	286796

Ya. I am fucking pissed.
    Real VTers tap trees.

That can't be real (I hope), the pic looks too composed and fake. Which is completely beside your point, which I agree with.

I知 not saying Christianity correlates with stupidity, but...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Here's what four decades of "Christian" political activism

Ya. I am fucking pissed.
    Come on man.

Your heading into polyass here and that picture is real and puts tears in my eye and leaves me speechless.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'm asking you to tell me what YOU think. Would my response have any weight on your answer?
    I think I haven稚 encountered a religion that isn稚 full of unbelievable nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    But hey, whatever makes you feel better.
    Comedy.

I知 not saying that concluding that 20,000 responses out of a population of billions equates to stupidity for the whole population, is stupid, but maybe
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That can't be real (I hope), the pic looks too composed and fake. Which is completely beside your point, which I agree with.
    https://www.cnn.com/

I love how people try to make issues divisive by invoking religious and/or moral belief systems as excuses for their or others actions.

Good - now spew your rage and hate somewhere else and either really mourn what disturbs you or make a positive change that doesn't involve
    yet more hate.
    There's just a wee bit o' irony here.

Feel free to worship. But don't go looking for validation, it's your choice.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    And Where痴 Wooly?

I asked him what god is and he went AWOL.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What am I, your bitch? I think not. I had a 2:45 tee time. AD hit it for me.

"To me God or a god is an entity that can influence the universe in a way that can't be explained by science, i.e. a supernatural force. That would, of course, include areas of science humanity doesn't currently understand."

Jesus Christ is a whole other deal but connected and the actual subject in the thread title IMO.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

What am I, your bitch? I think not. I had a 2:45 tee time. AD hit it for me.

"To me God or a god is an entity that can influence the universe in a way that can't be explained by science, i.e. a supernatural force. That would, of course, include areas of science humanity doesn't currently understand."

Jesus Christ is a whole other deal but connected and the actual subject in the thread title IMO.
    Okay but what about the myriad of things the ancients attributed to god but science has since explained? Is god just a loosing battle against greater human understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Okay but what about the myriad of things the ancients attributed to god but science has since explained? Is god just a loosing battle against greater human understanding?
    Science is getting closer to discovering god and who/what she is? Science has explained much of the bible. The Flood and the melting of ice age glaciers as an example. I find it interesting how often the geologic legends of the Ancients are in step with the actual science. The Iroquois legend that the hand of god formed the Finger Lakes as an example. It was glaciers and subsequent flooding but what force put that process in motion? god?

Science is getting closer to discovering god and who/what she is? Science has explained much of the bible. The Flood and the melting of ice age glaciers as an example. I find it interesting how often the geologic legends of the Ancients are in step with the actual science. The Iroquois legend that the hand of god formed the Finger Lakes as an example. It was glaciers and subsequent flooding but what force put that process in motion? god?
    Science is 'discovering god'? Seems more like science is showing that many of the things humans have attributed to god are false.

You say tomato, I say tomaaahto it seems to me. You put a lot of "human" into the god of which you speak. I don't put any but we both would agree that you can't shake gods hand. We continue the useless debate about a god when the tread was started to discuss nut job Christians. Something that we can actually see and interact with.

You put a lot of "human" into the god of which you speak.
    Not sure where you are reading this in my replies, but to be clear I believe we need to find human ways to solve human issues and not turn to folklore to lead the way or tell us how to treat one another (including what TV shows are 'moral').

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Not sure where you are reading this in my replies, but to be clear I believe we need to find human ways to solve human issues and not turn to folklore to lead the way or tell us how to treat one another (including what TV shows are 'moral').
    Oh noes! Not secular humanism and moral relativism! The horror!

Blaming that on 'decades of Christian activism' is probably misleading, ignorant and unproductive.
    But hey, whatever makes you feel better.
    Here's the tl;dr version:

Single minded 40 year focus on overturning Roe v Wade. Which requires a SCOTUS anti-abortion majority. Which required pacts to be made. Investigative journalism has been done documenting the intentional marriage of the southern anti-abortion evangelical movement with southern racists. Which brings us to this. The Graham family is part of that legacy. Look at Franklin's support of tRump. He has delivered. And now it looks like not only will abortion be made illegal, we will also see many forms of birth control made illegal.

This thread needs some musical accompaniment.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Science has explained much of the bible.
    HUH?!

like the earth is flat
    like the sun revolves around the earth
    like 2 homosapien species populated the entire planet

or were you thinking of other examples

I had a debate on this subject with a customer, all the believers can do is reinterpret the bible or move goal posts to make science and the bible mesh properly

This book found its way into my audible queue. Some pretty good quotes in there on religion, its incompatibility with philosophy, etc.

Name:  history.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  15.3 KB

I'm going to judge a book by it's cover here, but anyone with the audacity to give their book a title that proclaims such omniscience likely doesn't have any opinions I'm interested in hearing.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Interviewer: But you yourself have challenged some of the religious beliefs of our time

WD: Well, that was in my youth. Today, I say that I know much less than I did then. And I would not be so forward as to stand up and judge a religion. Because a religion is a product of hundreds, thousands of years the way Christianity is. And I've learned that it is very dangerous for an individual to think that his own individual mind can stand up and with the experience of some 30 or 40 years, judge the experience of the race. Which is that without supernatural beliefs it is very difficult to control the animal instincts in us. And it may be that all through history religions have helped society to control those animal instincts to enable the social instincts to cope with them and to make civilization possible.

I suppose it is the attempt to control in a society, the instincts that were developed in the hunting period of man which has been enormously longer than his agricultural period. And civilization is a product of that agriculture. I don't know whether we can use the historical relationship to illustrate the function of morals. But basically the function of morals is to overcome the aggressive instincts of mankind that were stimulated in the hunting periods of centuries. To overcome those impulses by social impulses that are generated in the family.

if puregravity is rolling a slow troll, it succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    HUH?!

like the earth is flat
    like the sun revolves around the earth
    like 2 homosapien species populated the entire planet

or were you thinking of other examples

I had a debate on this subject with a customer, all the believers can do is reinterpret the bible or move goal posts to make science and the bible mesh properly
    Science moves their own goal posts all the time. Practically every day. Older rocks. new creatures, what was true is not. But I need to go now. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Oh noes! Not secular humanism and moral relativism! The horror!
    Everything I learned about moral relativism, I learned from the bible.

Exodus 20:
    Thou shall not kill

Acts 12:23
    And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.