Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 611
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,456
    FZ's little ode to Jim and Tammy Faye, Pat Robertson, et al:

    .

    "They tried to make me go to Catholic school, too. I lasted a very short time. When the penguin came after me with a ruler, I was out of there. (...)I still went to church regularly, though, until I was eighteen years old. Then suddenly, the light bulb went on over my head. All the mindless mobidity and discipline was pretty sick – bleeding this, painful that and no meat on Friday. What is this shit? (...) Well, I think it was possible to do what I've done only because I escaped the bondage of being a devout believer. To be a good member of the congregation, ultimately you have to stop thinking. The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden story. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could still be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your fucking mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions." (Frank Zappa. Interview in Playboy, 1993)

    But, despite his objections against organized religion and the fact that he didn't believe in God or Jesus, he tolerated religious people.

    Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book:
    <blockquote>"One of the misconceptions about evangelicals in the U.S. is that they're all as extreme as Swaggart, Falwell and Robertson. They're not. Most of them just want to worship at their local church. They don't give a shit about those guys on television -- they think they're clowns and that what they do cheapens everyone's religious experience. On this, we definitely agree."</blockquote>
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Not all Christians are bigots. In fact the vast majority are not bigots what so ever.

    But even so- One mans bigotry does not excuse your own bigotry.

    This thread is disgusting because it persecutes a entire group of people based solely on religious beliefs. Period.

    FWIW- I am not religious in the slightest. In fact I realized at a recent service that being around prayer kinda makes me uneasy.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What a crock. Criticizing white supremacism couched in scripture and glazed with a vapid, suburban sense of moral superiority isn't discrimination and it isn't bigotry. Pull your head out of your ass.
    Does this line of reasoning fly when criticizing Islam?

    Take a lap.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    so many irrefyootable faks!

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    8,012
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Does this line of reasoning fly when criticizing Islam?

    Take a lap.
    There's a reason I refer to a certain subset in this country as the Christian Taliban. And if the 'vast majority' put up with it, then they are equally culpable.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,456
    Is someone prancing around in their Miss Construe Contest Talent Show brassiere again?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And if the 'vast majority' put up with it, then they are equally culpable.
    Same can be said about the blatant bigotry exposed in this thread.

    The bigotry is one thing. The excuse and rationale behind it after being called out is another level.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    these anti-bigot bigots need to form a church and get tax free non profit status amass wealth and start fucking some policy. maybe some bigot burning, invade conquer torture convert some bigot lands. an inquisition would be nice.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,858
    the shit scented church of the contrarian attention whore.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,501
    Zappa is what I like to call - enlighten by the hypocrisy and dogma of controlled thinking.
    I also grew up a Catholic and became more of a Buddhist because I couldn't buy into the dogma and hypocrisy. Buddism allowed me the freedom to think in terms of humanity rather than confined thinking.
    Anyone that thinks they know what God wants or tells us how to live as an absolute is lost in dogma and control IMO. I see religion as a guideline and a foundation to become a better person spirituallly and socially. It's just a form of control and those that preach in absolutes. Humans are too weak to go beyond what they are told when it comes to manipulation and those that do are labelled as heretics or ostracized for not being puppets.
    Now I sound intolerant but not really. Just frustrated that humanity has to suffer because of the us vs them mentality.
    My 2 cents.
    Sorry if offend anyone but this is how I see it.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    these anti-bigot bigots need to form a church and get tax free non profit status amass wealth and start fucking some policy. maybe some bigot burning, invade conquer torture convert some bigot lands. an inquisition would be nice.
    I壇 be willing to bet a lot black Protestants support Black Lives Matter and/or the Southern Poverty Law Center.

    Pet Goat-> isn稚 it amazing that these black Protestants follow this white supremacist scripture you speak of?

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    heart in terrace, ass in cowtown
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Christian ^
    Hahaha. Thanks for that, 4 posts in and I howled out loud! Well played sir!

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    OHNONOTBLMANDSPLC!!!! SOMUCHSTRUCTURALINJUSTICE!!!

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    these anti-bigot bigots need to form a church and get tax free non profit status amass wealth and start fucking some policy. maybe some bigot burning, invade conquer torture convert some bigot lands. an inquisition would be nice.
    Perfect bigotry
    An eye for an eye.

    VS.

    JESUS
    Love Your Enemies.

    Just sayin' (in concurrence with above post)

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Perfect bigotry
    An eye for an eye.

    VS.

    JESUS
    Love Your Enemies.

    Just sayin'
    whoosh

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,011
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    these anti-bigot bigots need to form a church and get tax free non profit status amass wealth and start fucking some policy. maybe some bigot burning, invade conquer torture convert some bigot lands. an inquisition would be nice.
    Don稚 forget raping young children. That痴 a core tenet of Christian leadership.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,456
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Perfect bigotry
    An eye for an eye.

    VS.

    JESUS
    Love Your Enemies.

    Just sayin' (in concurrence with above post)
    Is it possible for you to distinguish between religion and faith?

    Religion is supposed to implement faith, but in practice, doesn't.

    Consider The Crusades, The Eighty Years War, any number of Inquisitions, Pope Gregory IX, The Jesuits, Galileo, Copericus, Cavalieri, Torricelli, let alone the rampant abuse of children on the part of religion. Is that loving thy enemy? These are not acts of faith, but religion.

    I can't speak for others, but imho, a person of faith is not the same as an organization of religion. Should the former confuse themselves with the latter they should think more carefully.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    17,802
    a buddy of mine attended a jewish service so I asked him what he thot of the religion

    he said " it ain't a religion its a tribe, there was a guy up there reading aloud from the book but there were also 2 guys in the back loudly arguing business, there are people talking, there are people asleep and still that guy at the front just keeps reading "

    as for myself I have just never got religion so as i point out to religious people " its kinda like you told me a joke and I didn't get it/didn't find it funny "

    which I imagine might piss them off but no buddy has ever said anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Don’t forget raping young children. That’s a core tenet of Christian leadership.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Or any other power structure.
    I'd bet (just a hunch), that any organization, esp secular, has this problem to a greater degree.
    Police abuses (all the time)
    Schools ( yup, lots of perv teachers)
    Other religions (yup)
    Community clubs (yup)
    Coaches of Olympic Athletes (yup - lots of abuses there).
    The problem, I see it, is that it is actually expected in all those other forums
    but ought to be not expected from people's claiming to be Spiritually Enlightened.
    However, coming full circle, the spiritual enlightenment of Christianity is actually:
    "We are fucked in the head, and heart, and need God's help".
    So actually, it is not surprising then - because
    WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?
    No one in this world has the abuse industry cornered.

    What about the Romans? They had an entire school industry with the government and social and legal endorsement
    of pedastery. Seriously effed. And that was the Roman Empire.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Is it possible for you to distinguish between religion and faith?

    Religion is supposed to implement faith, but in practice, doesn't.

    Consider The Crusades, The Eighty Years War, any number of Inquisitions, Pope Gregory IX, The Jesuits, Galileo, Copericus, Cavalieri, Torricelli, let alone the rampant abuse of children on the part of religion. Is that loving thy enemy? These are not acts of faith, but religion.

    I can't speak for others, but imho, a person of faith is not the same as an organization of religion. Should the former confuse themselves with the latter they should think more carefully.
    This....

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Or any other power structure.
    I'd bet (just a hunch), that any organization, esp secular, has this problem to a greater degree.
    Police abuses (all the time)
    Schools ( yup, lots of perv teachers)
    Other religions (yup)
    Community clubs (yup)
    Coaches of Olympic Athletes (yup - lots of abuses there).
    The problem, I see it, is that it is actually expected in all those other forums
    but ought to be not expected from people's claiming to be Spiritually Enlightened.
    However, coming full circle, the spiritual enlightenment of Christianity is actually:
    "We are fucked in the head, and heart, and need God's help".
    So actually, it is not surprising then - because
    WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?
    No one in this world has the abuse industry cornered.

    What about the Romans? They had an entire school industry with the government and social and legal endorsement
    of pedastery. Seriously effed. And that was the Roman Empire.
    yes all other organizations have rampant pedophilia issues we just havent found them yet. keep the faith!

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Is it possible for you to distinguish between religion and faith?

    Religion is supposed to implement faith, but in practice, doesn't.

    Consider The Crusades, The Eighty Years War, any number of Inquisitions, Pope Gregory IX, The Jesuits, Galileo, Copericus, Cavalieri, Torricelli, let alone the rampant abuse of children on the part of religion. Is that loving thy enemy? These are not acts of faith, but religion.

    I can't speak for others, but imho, a person of faith is not the same as an organization of religion. Should the former confuse themselves with the latter they should think more carefully.
    No. These are actions by individuals who happen to have certain beliefs in common.

    As puregravity pointed out-> no group (social, political or religious etc.) is immune to abuse. It痴 fucking human nature.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    institutional coverups are also human nature. especially in powerful nonprofits.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    13,835
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    yes all other organizations have rampant pedophilia issues we just havent found them yet. keep the faith!
    The Qur'an permits pedophilia.

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    The Qur'an permits pedophilia.
    apparently so does the bible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •