Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I adore my Canyon 55. A ten pound block of ice will keep it cool for 6+ days as long if it stays in the shade and isn't being used as a beer cooler. The closure system is my favorite of any of the roto coolers not named Orion (for half the price too). It fits great in most boats too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Yeti's are overrated as fuck. If you can't get them on prodeal, look elsewhere.

4 days in the mountains with the kids last weekend. Took the rtic 65 and put cold food, a few frozen packs of burgers and brats along with 10# of ice on top. Kids were in and out of the cooler all day everyday. Still had ice at the bottom when I got home. My Coleman xtreme wheelie cooler wouldn't have stood a chance in those conditions. Cooler discipline is for accountants and actuaries. We're real folks and we open the cooler when we want something cold that's in it.

Fwiw I really dig my rtic soft 30. I use it way more often than any of my other cooler except for the cheap igloo 20 that I use for sous vide.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Cooler discipline is for accountants and actuaries. We're real folks and we open the cooler when we want something cold that's in it.

:
    You would not be getting any cocktail ice on day 6 of a Main Salmon trip in August from me with that attitude.

I bring my Yeti 450 full of ice and a separate Igloo cooler with my food and drinks. NOBODY opens the Yeti, ever. period. When I get home I still have my ice and it goes back in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You would not be getting any cocktail ice on day 6 of a Main Salmon trip in August from me with that attitude.
    Lol, just goes to show that it's all relative. I spent a lot of days in the SW Utah desert with my girls when they were young. I had a cheap Coleman cooler then and dry ice was king. I now have a fancy one (Mammoth) that I wish I had back then and probably could have forgone the dry ice. We made due in the desert, but I had to be diligent about my kids not digging through the cooler whenever they were searching for snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I bring my Yeti 450 full of ice and a separate Igloo cooler with my food and drinks. NOBODY opens the Yeti, ever. period. When I get home I still have my ice and it goes back in the freezer.

Why pay for ice that you bring home?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Why pay for ice that you bring home?
    Whooosh

Awesome.

I'm on my second wal-mart ozark trail roto cooler. On the first one, the plastic started to delaminate from the foam on the interior after a couple years. It also seemed to not hold ice as well as it should have, not sure if it was related. A quick email to the manufacturer (ca innovations) and a new one was on the way.

The new one seems to have a better lid seal and is an updated design that closes a little better. Ice is lasting longer as well on the couple desert trips I've taken with it. I still don't love the latches and I broke one on the first cooler, but replacements are easy to order from walmart.com.

I can easily fit a 5 gallon keg in my Coleman extreme cooler and that's pretty nice.

If you’re camping or traveling in/near a car, I’d highly recommend a 12v compressor fridge. Ithese things hold temp down below freeZing if you need it, and sip power. I can run mine off the stock battery in my 4runner for a weekend without starting the car and it does fine.

I’ve got a 40Liter Truck Fridges Indel-B model. They do fire sales off their FB page several times a year. You can get a 40L model for like $325 free shipping. Otherwise look a ARB if you ski DPS and need the extra overland cred and feel like like dropping $900.

I got tired of soggy shit and having to buy mew ice. If you’re out much, even great coolers will melt quickly if you’re in them. When you’re prepping 3 meals a day and grabbing beers, you let in a ton of warm air. The rotomold coolers are better than a Walmart Coleman as far as insulation, but you’ll have wet food and still need ice with a Yeti or RTic if you’re opening it 20x per day getting beers.

Also you can actually fill the whole volume of the fridge vs a cooler. A 60L cooler is huge and probably is half full of ice. A 40L fridge has 40l of food in it and has a pretty small footprint.

Just here to add that the 80Q rotomolded yeti knockoff I got at Costco (cascade something) does a bang up job staying cool but fack it’s heavy. It was well over 100lbs loaded and wouldn’t be surprised if was at least 45lbs empty. It really is a 2 man carry when loaded up

You guys need to stroll over to the RV thread, or listen to Falcon3. Coolers are for fish and beer. Go to fish camp with two 60’s and a 130 extreme/arctic igloo/coleman/whatever. Fill all three at the packing plant with ice, put a couple flats of beer/drinks in the top of one. Food is in the trailer fridge, where it should be - and get this, it makes cocktail ice to boot!
    Keep the coolers drained of meltwater, replace the ice with fish, head for home 4 days later (a 2 day drive), process fish and there is still ice left over. Maybe even a cold beer, but they don’t tend to last as long as the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Just here to add that the 80Q rotomolded yeti knockoff I got at Costco (cascade something) does a bang up job staying cool but fack it’s heavy. It was well over 100lbs loaded and wouldn’t be surprised if was at least 45lbs empty. It really is a 2 man carry when loaded up
    Bout broke my back trying to carry my Orca 75qt from my car to the kitchen.

No more of that shit. Cooler gets loaded and unloaded next to (or in back of) the SUV.

You guys sound like you need the "Kids with No Friends" cooler. Comes complete with wheels and a handle to roll it to the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You guys sound like you need the "Kids with No Friends" cooler. Comes complete with wheels and a handle to roll it to the destination.

Do they have a “lazy wife, weak toddler” version?

Much needed

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Do they have a “lazy wife, weak toddler” version?

Much needed
    ]
    A little duct tape could at least neutralize the toddler situation.

Best cooter for a couple of days?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Best cooter for a couple of days?
    the one you can afford?
    the red one?
    the one closest to you?
    if it weighs more than 100 pounds, the one with burly handles?

I've come to trust the wirecutter's reviews. They may not always pick the absolute best thing, but their picks are solid and well-researched. I picked up a Coleman xtreme after their earlier version of this review and I've been happy with it. If I were spending multiple multi-week trips in the desert without a resupply I'd spring for a rotomolded option, but I'm not, so I haven't. And I've been happy with the cooler for weeklong family camping trips without being super fussy about cooler discipline.

A nice bit from the review that I agree with:

That said, most people do not need a roto-molded cooler. They’re big. They’re heavy. They carry less than other coolers the same size because of the amount of insulation they’re packed with. In short, they’re impractical for most pedestrian needs—a fact that has stopped absolutely none of us from buying them in record numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I've come to trust the wirecutter's reviews. They may not always pick the absolute best thing, but their picks are solid and well-researched. I picked up a Coleman xtreme after their earlier version of this review and I've been happy with it. If I were spending multiple multi-week trips in the desert without a resupply I'd spring for a rotomolded option, but I'm not, so I haven't. And I've been happy with the cooler for weeklong family camping trips without being super fussy about cooler discipline.

A nice bit from the review that I agree with:

That said, most people do not need a roto-molded cooler. They’re big. They’re heavy. They carry less than other coolers the same size because of the amount of insulation they’re packed with. In short, they’re impractical for most pedestrian needs—a fact that has stopped absolutely none of us from buying them in record numbers.
    but they come with a cool sticker for my car or rocketbox....

RTIC was/is having a 30% off sale so I picked up a 45 last week.

Very glad I didn't go with something smaller. It's been hovering around 110 and really need to get as much ice in there as possible. I filled it up on Thursday then it sat in the bed of my pickup in the sun all day Friday-Sunday with sporadic openings and still had a shit ton of ice left today. Happy camper.

Best Cooler for few days?

My buddy just bought the lifetime rotomold. 55QT. Left it out in the sun for 7 days and still had ice. He brought it fishing this weekend and it partially froze the water bottles we had in it. Bear proof and the latches are awesome. I was really impressed, esp for $97.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 07-09-2019 at 01:46 PM.

For a budget, I'll throw another vote in for the Coleman Xtreme line. I'm not a desert camper, but I've used mine on a few two- and three-day trips, primarily motorcycle track days. While I tried to avoid putting it in direct sunlight, tracks (and infields) usually have lots of asphalt to collect heat and hopefully lots of sun (riding in the rain isn't nearly as much fun). With some block ice as a primary cooling source, it would easily keep stuff cool for at least three days; on a couple of longer car-camping trips, I think I've had ice five or six days in.

I don't doubt the higher-priced options are better in some ways, and my Coleman is decidedly not bear-proof, but for not a lot of cash it does a pretty damn good job when called upon.

Just broke out cocktail ice from my Yeti 125 on day 7 of a Main Salmon trip. We were in the cooler a couple times per day on the trip as our group meal was night 1 and we turned it into a beer cooler after that. Temps in the 80-90* range and sunny. Wet white towel and shade on it when the sun was out. I'm sure an RTIC would have performed the same. Make fun of my cooler management but that Blood Oath whiskey on a rock sure tasted nice on the last night of the trip.