Ditch AT&T wireless for Cricket?

Thread title is screwed up.......canít edit.

Anybody ditch the cell phone big boys for Cricket? Several cheap skate (smart) co workers recently ditched AT&T for Cricket wireless.....and claim no difference in unlimited coverage and a much cheaper monthly bill.

Any thoughts?....Iím thinking of ways to cut down my family plan of 250.00 a month to Cricket for 100.00 a month.

My luck I cancel AT&T...switch to Cricket and they go out of business.

Do you do Comcast? We just Bundled with Xfinity, no plan fees pay $12 a gig, up to 5 lines, or a decent unlimited plan available. It runs on Verizon and utilizes lots of free hot spots

Iím gonna get cricket. Been wanting to forever.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Do you do Comcast? We just Bundled with Xfinity, no plan fees pay $12 a gig, up to 5 lines, or a decent unlimited plan available. It runs on Verizon and utilizes lots of free hot spots
    We donít have Comcast up here...we have a country bumpkin Blue Ridge Cable where Iím at. I use them for cable/internet.

Have had ATT for 25 years.....it works perfect...but am just hearing good things about Cricket (which use ATT towers)...Would save like 150 a month...1800 a year switching.

It might be worth a try...donít want to piss off the ladies of the house though if the switch screws up what we have now.

I've been on boost for years after ditching the majors. Running a $100 S7 on a $35/mo plan. Just set up my MIL with the same thing last week. They have a family plan for $100 as well... I don't see any reason to pay more than that unless you depend on rural access for work.

Thanks.....this definitely helps me....sounds slower than what we have now....which would be a no go.

I've been on cricket for about 8 months now. Before that xfinity, sprint, att. Overall, I'm fairly happy with Cricket, but I do find the roaming service in rural areas is lacking. It's also frustrating that if you use a non-cricket phone, you can't get wifi calling. Still, for the savings vs big carriers, I think it's a good service.

I put my wife on cricket 3 years ago. Initially she just wanted an emergency phone. I couldnít see spending ATT/Verizon prices. She uses it more for games and internet now. Service is really good. Data isnít an issue as she is on WiFi most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Service is really good. Data isn’t an issue as she is on WiFi most of the time
    This is the big thing for me. Mountains typically offer shitty service so I just write off service when in the mountains and rely on wifi for heavy bandwidth use. I'm not so much of a data addict that I need 4G while driving or away from wifi. The marginal utility gain vs. double or triple cost of paying for a cadillac network just doesn't make sense to me. But ymmv especially if you work in the field.

We were on Cricket for a couple years. Coverage was good, data speeds were fine, though sometimes intermittent and generally less reliable than Verizon, which I'm currently on. There was some weird stuff with group texts and multimedia in texts, but was fine otherwise.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I've been on boost for years after ditching the majors. Running a $100 S7 on a $35/mo plan. Just set up my MIL with the same thing last week. They have a family plan for $100 as well... I don't see any reason to pay more than that unless you depend on rural access for work.
    Boost is one of the items in play for the T-Mobile and Sprint merger approval. The DOJ is talking about having that be sold off to someone else as part of the deal approval. Heard Dish Network (Satellite TV, etc.) is one of the names being mentioned.

Been doing Puretalk USA for years, very happy. No international coverage though so you'll have to use prepaid SIM cards or Whatsapp.

I believe Cricket is basically budget AT&T(ie they use their network/are maybe owned by them), so I'm sure they're both equally terrible.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I believe Cricket is basically budget AT&T(ie they use their network/are maybe owned by them), so I'm sure they're both equally terrible.
    But they are 15$ cheaper than the other shitty choices
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    But they are 15$ cheaper than the other shitty choices
    My total cell bill for 2 lines a 1 GB of data is about $17.00

1GB of data between 2 lines? Whoa there, don't wanna download too many MP3s off Napster!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

With hot spots and wifi, hardly any need for data

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    With hot spots and wifi, hardly any need for data
    I use around 350MB most months.

"but dude there's no way I can go without Insta in rural zones"

Cricket (and their stores which usually are a franchise and exclusive stores to that brand) is owned by AT&T since the 2014 purchase deal. It is prepaid service of course using the same AT&T cellular towers since the merger. They if like most of the MNVO out there have a lower priority and possibly do not include roaming that would be available with the post paid AT&T. (But I have no personal experience with the service- just what I have read over on Howard Forums.)

You can compare AT&T GoPhone Prepaid and Cricket offerings if you want to stay on AT&T towers (check the coverage maps and see if there is any difference in roaming, data speeds reported, or the price offerings of the monthly plans.)