Motobecane Frame Parts?

I damaged the rear seat stay on my 2017 Motobecane Hal6 bike when the derailleur got caught in my cassette (see photo).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-06-13 23.06.49.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	286114

Unfortunately, neither Motobecane nor bikesdirect.com have replacement parts at the moment. Plus I got this message from bikesdirect,
    "Unfortunately I am currently sold out of those frame parts and do not have a replacement at this time to offer you. That being said since the derailleur hanger is held in place by a screw you may be able to simply heat the affected area and bend back the small section and make sure the hanger bolt stays tight and it should still work just fine. I have seen one other customer fix it this way."

The suggestion from bikesdirect seems sketchy.

Any advice on where else to find frame parts?

Find a used one for sale maybe.

Is this the right place to throw in a snarky comment about buying bikes online vs a good local bike shop?

Looks like they make a new "Boost" version of that bike, maybe ask for a whole new rear end if it fits?

I would be a pain in the ass push them on that shotty recommendation for a fix. A 2 year old bike should have parts readily available and a warranty; keep bugging them until they do better.

People like to shit on BikeDirect but I bought a fat bike from them and their customer service was very easy to deal with.

Your local bike shop should..... oh wait. The inter web should.....

Don't heat the frame up. That's fucking terrible advice.

I can see that there's some chewed up metal, but I can't see what's actually wrong from that picture. Is it just some mangled neutral that could be filled off? Or is there damage to something functional?

^^^ This.

Is the derailleur hanger ripped off? Hard to tell from the photo what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I wonder if the rear triangle off the Giant Trance would fit, they look very similar....

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I wonder if the rear triangle off the Giant Trance would fit, they look very similar....
    It's an entirely different suspension design and the pivots are in completely different locations, and the hardware, fittings, and widths will almost certainly be incompatible, but hey, it might be worth a shot.

yeah they both have 2 wheels and everything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Nope, Motobecane's are the single use plastics of the bike world.

just find the local bike shop and ask about the machine shop they use to get hangars made.
    They are usually cheap enough to have them made and buy a few spares for the future.
    Everyone should get a few hangars with their bike ... it is a common break item.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Motobecane Frame Parts?

For more info:

I was adjusting the tension on the cable while riding (which was a bad idea). The derailleur got caught in the cassette, which bent the derailleur, bent the hanger, sheared off the bolt connecting the hanger to the frame, and damaged the frame.

My local shop advised to replace the rear seat stay. They believed the damaged frame wouldn’t hold a new hanger properly to prevent instability in the derailleur.

I’ll keep pushing motobecane and bikes direct; it’s outrageous they don’t have parts for a two year old bike.

Derailleur cable tension cannot force the derailleur into the spokes unless the low limit screw was not properly adjusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Motobecane Frame Parts?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Derailleur cable tension cannot force the derailleur into the spokes unless the low limit screw was not properly adjusted.
    My theory is that the bike got laid down on the drive side, hard enough to bend the hanger, shifting went to shit, he adjusted the cable tension and that was enough to boost the jockey cage into the spokes.

My advice to the OP if you aren't getting any love from Bikes Direct (short of having better picture or a clear idea on what's damaged), start shopping for a used frame that will take your parts kit as much as possible...
    Last edited by ACH; 06-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.

https://northshorebillet.com/

these guys make a replacement hangers machined from aluminium billet, pretty bomber stuff, i had one of their hanger bangers on my last bike

Most hangers are pretty cheap soft metal that you want to bend /break instead of your frame

It seems like most of the time hanger & der get bent inwards from hitting things or the bike getting laid down
    but I've seen a hanger bend just from being ridden hard & taking jumps
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-19-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's tough to tell, but it looks like the mount that's mangled just holds the hanger on while the wheel is out. Once the wheel is in, the axle and wheel hold the hanger in place. So you might be able to get a replacement hanger and it'll just be held on by the axle. Clearly that's not ideal, and shifting precision might suffer a bit. But that's why you don't by generic cheap shit from bikes direct that lacks any kind of longer term support.

Or just drill and tap a new bolt. This is not rocket brain surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I'd search the classifieds for a used frame.. I let mine go for about free when you considered the extra parts I sold with it. The Hal6 was a great way for a dirtbag like me to try a 6" 27.5 bike.. ride it enough to know what frame I wanted and then eventually upgrade. I'm sure there are some out there

Sent from my S61 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

hey..