Bushcraft and camping tips

Ran across this video on the log fire variation. Its pretty sweet and a great thing for winter camping or any time for that matter. Enjoys

make every day count

same dood builds a cabin
    make every day count

Dick Proenneke

He built this cabin and outbuildings in AK’s Lake Clark Wilderness, including furniture, by himself with no power tools, in 1968. When he was 51.
    Lived there year round for 30 years filming and writing about the area
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Thanks for the links.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Dick Proenneke

He built this cabin and outbuildings in AK’s Lake Clark Wilderness, including furniture, by himself with no power tools, in 1968. When he was 51.
    Lived there year round for 30 years filming and writing about the area
    Classic!

I have watched that one many times over the years.
    make every day count

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mors_Kochanski

I took survival courses with Mors Kochanski through the University of Alberta and now impart many of his techniques and philosophies to the students in the Outdoor Ed. program I run. If you have never heard of him and you're into that kind of stuff, check him out online. The above link is just the wiki page but he has lots of vids and his seminal text on the matter Bushcraft is available online and at Canadian Tire.

There is a youtube channel of a guy who post cooking vids using solely the log method. Really fun to watch.

Bushcraft, I've heard of it.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Bushcraft, I've heard of it.
    Name:  Bushcraft-Outdoor-Skills-and-Wilderness-Survival.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  92.3 KB

I think there are several books titled Bushcraft but his is the one I am referring to. Don't let the cheesy cover dissuade you.

my 13 year old has been participating on and off in foxwalker courses since he was about 7. he's now intensifying his studies a bit and transitioning to being an intern. we can walk from our house to the "campus," which is pretty convenient. the courses are through 4eee.org, which is the California branch of The Children of the Earth Foundation. The Children of the Earth Foundation was started by Tom Brown, Jr. to focused on youth, teens, and families, and it was created out of his Tracker School for adults. The kiddo has learned quite a bit and it provides a great means of grounding for him. we are lucky, and I hope to someday make the time to participate in some of the adult programs.

That sounds pretty kewl BW.

Many many videos on the Utoobs. Some good, some not good.

Lot of good how to cook vids often using surplus equipment.

Russian dood again.

Last edited by SB; 06-19-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    make every day count

make every day count

Still a big fan reading......

Name:  4F76298C-5446-45DA-8ED7-FA0058860B68.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  46.4 KB

Mother earth news as well
    make every day count

make every day count

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Still a big fan reading......

Name:  4F76298C-5446-45DA-8ED7-FA0058860B68.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  46.4 KB
    Ha! My dad had that series of books while we were growing up. Made a miniature still in 9th grade based upon directions in the book. Didn't produce much and no idea on the quality but to this day when I drink scotch I get that same taste. 20 years later he was cleaning out the barn and called to say WTF. Told him it was his fault for having those books around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Pfft..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

At least your dad did not find out you were into hog dressing at summer camp.
    make every day count

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Ha! My dad had that series of books while we were growing up. Made a miniature still in 9th grade based upon directions in the book. Didn't produce much and no idea on the quality but to this day when I drink scotch I get that same taste. 20 years later he was cleaning out the barn and called to say WTF. Told him it was his fault for having those books around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    20 year old whiskey must have been pretty good. Hope your dad gave it a sip.

Hog dressing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawgs.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	286841

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Pfft..
    [/end thread]
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

make every day count

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    The first thing I learned about building a fire was to do it on bare mineral earth. Of course around here wood fires outside developed campgrounds with fire pits are banned most of the time, for good reason.

Most of the time in most places constructing anything out of found materials--rocks, branches, etc.--is a bad idea. Leave the place like you found it. There are way too many of us to be doing boy scout tricks in the backcountry.

Emergency campfires

Had an unplanned overnighter a few Mays ago after truck wouldn't start after a late afternoon ski tour. Was parked at the top of a logging road just below treeline. Truck usually had sleeping bag/thermarest for emergencies in winter but took them out for spring cleaning, forgot to put em back in. Truck still had the emergency fire starting kit, lots of newspaper and a few emergency space blankets. Turned on my spot and sent the 'car broke down, come pick me up' message to my contact. Figured might as well prepare for the worst and get a fire going. Ended up spending the night and my ride showed up the next morning. All i had for clothing were baselayer top and bottom, goretex shell pants and a softshell jacket, toque and gloves.

Here's what got me through in a fairly warm, dry comfortable state:

Luckily, the night was clear so no precip. Unluckily the night was clear so it got cold, just a smidge below freezing. I built a fire strategically positioned in a dry ditch on crushed rock. The uphill side of ditch featured a tall face of blasted bedrock. I scavenged as much big timber i could find to build a bed for the fire, then gathered a bunch of smalls and mediums to get it going and keep it going for the night. The bed of burning larger trunks and big rounds really provided a great foundation on which to keep pumping out a consistent amount of heat even as the medium sized stuff burned down in fluctuating time intervals. The rock face heated over time and radiated a fair amount of heat as well. I laid in the ditch beside the fire on a bed of boughs and newspaper while wrapped in an space blanket. Stayed pretty comfortably warm for the night. That heat radiating off the rock really helped. Was glad to have my ski boots with intuition liners on to keep feet warm.

Anyone else have any other tips/tricks for emergency overnighters based on personal experience?
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?