Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yeah, it's that time. I was at a friends house one night last week and he was doing an engine flip in the driveway and had the area pretty lit up and there were droves of field mice coming out the desert behind his property, scurrying right past our feet. Now I've heard one the last few nights in the house and the garage.

Last year this time, I set a trap by the stove. In the middle of the night, I'm awakened by this blood-curdling scream that went on for about a minute. Dog heard it, too, and woofed a bit. It was fukking weird. In the morning, the snap trap was gone. I couldn't quite figure it out, couldn't find the trap. About three or four days later, I'm kicked back in my recliner and I smell something. I tilted the chair forward and there it was. The trap snapped on that poor fucker right above its back legs and it dragged itself, with the trap, about 15 feet from the stove to the living room. All while letting out that blood-curdling scream.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ^^can't remember who posted that, I had to find it with google image search. It's in somebody's cabin............................................. .................................... They just looked at each other and decided to never talk about it, ever.
    OMG

Delete that comment. No one ever needs to read that. Let the story die. Is there a barf emoji?!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Is there a barf emoji?!
    🤢🤮🤷🏻♂️

We had a rodent problem last year. Even had one run across my face while I was sleeping. Turned out to be rats rather than mice.

We had two cats roaming the house, as well as several dogs, but the rats would just retreat into areas the bigger animals couldn’t get to. I tried glue traps and snap traps of various sizes. I was able to kill some babies, but the adults learned very quickly how to avoid the traps.

Finally paid to have a commercial service take care of it. Expensive, but well worth the price. The traps they used were much better designed and more lethal than anything you can buy at Lowe’s. They also sealed off any access points from the outside to the house.

I had a daily chore of checking for ray turds, vacuuming them up, and spraying those areas with a very dilute solution of bleach and water to kill the scent, because the rats will follow the smell of their crap.

Took several weeks of trapping inside the house until we got them all. Thank god no sign of rat poop inside the house since then.

After getting all the rats in the house, the commercial service set up some enclosed bait traps around the outside of the house which they check and refill every other month. The bait is usually gone when they do the servicing, so there are still plenty of rats in the neighborhood.

Mice in the house.

Strongly urge against poisons. Can poison predators by accident. The rodent can also die in an inconvenient place and you will notice them by the smell and the flies.

Cat: we had a great mouser that died a few years ago. For several years, she enjoyed mortally wounding them or only slightly wounding them, bringing them into the house (or not taking them out of the house), and releasing them. This would result in them hiding and dieing (see above about smell and flies) or finding a great hiding place in the house to live. Often, they would hide and live in the insulation of our oven. They would get killed the next time we’d use the oven, and their piss and shit would stink, a lot. You can’t get rid of the smell every time you use the oven. We went through 3 ovens one year!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    OMG

Delete that comment. No one ever needs to read that. Let the story die. Is there a barf emoji?!
    haha sorry you got triggered but it's something that actually happened and which has been posted several times in the past, I think I'll leave it. Note that after they decided to never talk about it, he posted it here, with a pic. It's hardly new news.

Found it. It's ny From_the_NEK, who still posts here. No doubt he'll see this and have a comment at some point. I got the story slightly wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK
    Just leave the top off the cooking oil. The lemmings will take care of drowning themselves.

Backstory...
    The Wesson cooking oil's top was left off in hunting camp several years back. The next morning, well before sunrise, one of the guys started making breakfast with only a dim gas light turned on. He tried to pour some oil into the cast iron pan to fry some eggs. But only a little oil came out. He said "what the fuck is wrong with this oil bottle"? I grabbed a flashlight and then both of us were like "WHAT THE FUCK!!!" We then turned to each other and asked the all important question... "were those mice in there last night when we cooked dinner?" We decided never to ask that question ever again.
    Some strong booze were immediately consumed, you know, just in case.

Oh, and there were at least 14 mice in there.

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    in Whistler ?

there are no snakes in whistla but lots of RE agents eh
    Seems to be a few varieties of Garter Snakes around. They eat mice btw.

Victor brand metal petal. Count your traps every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Victor brand metal petal. Count your traps every morning.
    What's the metal petal? I've used tons of scary-ass Victor traps over the years but never heard of that.

btw, holy shit have the folks at Victor been thinking hard about killing mice. https://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control

I swear by the good ol fashion snap traps. However, I've had a few spatter issues with head shots. So put down newspaper and or protect the area where put the trap.

I'm telling you, the PIC traps I linked above are the shit. Easy to set, easy to clean and re-use if you're so inclined, deadly, non-messy. git sum

Mice in the house.

The mouse oil pic is both disturbing and awesome. Ice wins this thread for keeping the collective's memory (or nightmares) alive
    Last edited by mcski; 06-16-2019 at 06:24 PM.

It's pretty much the best pic ever.

It's worthy of study. I would say they don't seem shocked or unhappy. I would say the general zeitgeist of the dead mice in the oil is, "Well I'm a mouse. Bad shit happens to us. "

Snap trap and wait .....for it , bacon grease.

You’ll attract, and kill every mouse for a mile.

Sticky traps are inhumane too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    So this time of year we get one or two mice in our house. Once we see poop. We put out a trap, one night or two and we’re are successful.
    The last few days we’ve notice a little poop her and there. Almost been in denial, outger than cleaning it up.
    Last night as I’m lying on the couch, after Mrs Hubbs went to bed, I heard the little fucker under the fridge.
    In the garage I had a box of sticky traps, so I placed two traps, one by each of the exits from behind the fridge.
    Went to bed, and warned Mrs Hubbs that she might find a half alive mouse stuck to a sticky pad trying to chew it’s leg off in the morning. (I bet she slept well..)
    Flash to this morning. The Mrs gets up way before me, so since she didn’t wake me and ask me to dispose of a sticky mouse, I assumed we didn’t catch anything.
    Mrs: “See the trap (singular) does not have anything in it” Me: “I put out two traps”
    The second fucking trap against the wall is gone, no sign of it, nowhere in the house.
    That fucker has dragged a 2”x3”x1/4” deep plastic sticky tray somewhere in the house.
    My pre coffee jobs have included pulling fridge out, removing and the back grate. Pulling the dishwasher out, the pots and pan drawer below the stove. No sign of this fucker.
    Now I’ve exposed all the jobs I want to Fix that the previous owner has fucked up.A little mouse has turned into baseboard job, a plumbing job removing a non functioning water filter uner the sink, putting a proper electrical box cover on the stove plug, and replacing a water damaged cupboard floor in another cabinet.
    Where the fuck could have this mouse dragged this 3” trap?
    Do I need to borrow a cat?
    I’m going to ride my bike. Fuck this Sunday mess.
    Sticky traps are inhumane. You're a dumb fuck. Out smarted by a mouse. Hopefully you learned your lesson.

If you're only dealing with one or two mice a season, buy a live trap and release them in an appropriate nearby park.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Ok but how do you deal with the RE agents ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  66BB4CA4-3EA4-4C1C-A63A-CF11F67DC874.jpeg
Views: 603
Size:  120.3 KBIt’s their best design IMO . Been around as long as I can remember. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBeo0RlaWiQ
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What's the metal petal? I've used tons of scary-ass Victor traps over the years but never heard of that.

btw, holy shit have the folks at Victor been thinking hard about killing mice. https://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control
    Last edited by OregonDead; 06-16-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Pic

After I lost my last house cat and my pest control guy lapsed on my bait stations the mice went crazy around my place. Hard to control them when you are surrounded by wheat and corn. At one point I was trapping a mouse every 20mins. Snap! Snap! Snap! I did have one mouse drag the trap off to who-knows-where between the floors but the rest died quick and stayed put.

Now that my kittens are cats and they are going outside (coupled with better attention to my bait stations by my pest control guy) I've not had any mice in the house (*knocks wood*).

When I lived on the west side on Mercer Island I had a rat issue. Now that sucks! Those traps, bigger versions of ^that one, need to be tethered to something or the rat will drag it off and when they die somewhere in the walls etc. it's a BIG stink. I had one trap at the entry to my pantry and the rat chewed through the twine that tethered it and pulled it out of his way so he could pass without worry. That freaked the exterminator out.

Now if someone could please tell me how to get rid of odorous house ants that have become spray and bait resistant I would be very appreciative. I've had my pest guy out twice in the last couple of months and put out bait station that in the past have worked without any results. Last time I called the pest guy he got all defensive and barked at me so now I'm thinking I need to call someone else unless someone here has any ideas.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Mice in the house.

Flashback for me. We had a total invasion one summer. Maybe there was some construction going on that drove them to us but I finally got a couple snap traps. SO, SO many mice were killed that first night. I got 20 in the first 2 hrs. in the garage. The door would barely close before SNAP. Got 2 in one trap that night a couple times and a 3some once. Carnage!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    After I lost my last house cat and my pest control guy lapsed on my bait stations the mice went crazy around my place. Hard to control them when you are surrounded by wheat and corn. At one point I was trapping a mouse every 20mins. Snap! Snap! Snap! I did have one mouse drag the trap off to who-knows-where between the floors but the rest died quick and stayed put.

Now that my kittens are cats and they are going outside (coupled with better attention to my bait stations by my pest control guy) I've not had any mice in the house (*knocks wood*).

When I lived on the west side on Mercer Island I had a rat issue. Now that sucks! Those traps, bigger versions of ^that one, need to be tethered to something or the rat will drag it off and when they die somewhere in the walls etc. it's a BIG stink. I had one trap at the entry to my pantry and the rat chewed through the twine that tethered it and pulled it out of his way so he could pass without worry. That freaked the exterminator out.

Now if someone could please tell me how to get rid of odorous house ants that have become spray and bait resistant I would be very appreciative. I've had my pest guy out twice in the last couple of months and put out bait station that in the past have worked without any results. Last time I called the pest guy he got all defensive and barked at me so now I'm thinking I need to call someone else unless someone here has any ideas.
    Look up a product called demand Cs. Quarterly spray house. Safe for pets/people when dry. Can be used inside and out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Same plan as KQ here. Before we adopted a neighborhood feral cat we had a big battle going between us, Orkin, and rats trapping about 5-6 a week. Enter the cat while maintaining the bait stations in the crawl space and haven't seen any evidence of a live one in years. Although the cat does like to show off her work from time to time bringing us presents LOL
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Sounds familiar. I stopped using the glue traps for this reason....I would “lose” them.....then find them empty in random places in garage....

As stated above, I only use Victor “old school” traps with peanut butter....can clear the house in a matter of days....lol

This is one case where the older version works best.
    Plus, it’s a quick relatively merciful death.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

Nuke from orbit.

I like the Tomcat Press 'n' Set (https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Press-...-garden&sr=1-3)
    Victor classic wood ones are good too, just don't get the ones with the plastic cheese-like pedal -- those are either so sensitive they go off before the mouse gets to them or so hard to trip that you are just putting out a meal for the mouse with no kill.