Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 150
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834

    Calling all contractors

    So this has been keeping me up at night. Did a high end remodel in a ski in ski out condo. I sat down on the couch and looked at the fireplace. Everythng is symmetrical accept the the sides next to fireplace.

    On the left, there is the end of the fireplace and a steel weight bearing 2x2 beam.

    Contractor says there was no way to make this symmetrical. The has to be a way to cut back the stone and make this look right? Or at least fudge it for the listing pixs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6564.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	285680

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,293
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    So this has been keeping me up at night. Did a high end remodel in a ski in ski out condo. I sat down on the couch and looked at the fireplace. Everythng is symmetrical accept the the sides next to fireplace.

    On the left, there is the end of the fireplace and a steel weight bearing 2x2 beam.

    Contractor says there was no way to make this symmetrical. The has to be a way to cut back the stone and make this look right? Or at least fudge it for the listing pixs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6564.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	285680
    I don't have an answer either but that shit would drive me nuts....

    I'd imagine cutting the firebox bigger might be a solution but I'm no engineer.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,651
    Not much you can do short of rebuilding the whole fireplace. The combustible surface in front of the fireplace/lack of raised hearth bothers me more.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    1,784
    Yea, never saw a fireplace at floor level. Is the fire box the same width of the opening or is it wider?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    driving past the Stop and Shop
    Posts
    2,878
    From a purely aesthetic point of view I’d consider (first photo shop) getting rid of the boxes either side of the fireplace and then use furniture or potted plants to obscure the imbalance. Problem then becomes that huge ass TV over the fireplace. The fact that it is off center vis-a-vis the fireplace will then be far more pronounced. For listing pics I’d get that TV off the wall even if you do nothing else.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    2,479

    Calling all contractors

    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    The combustible surface in front of the fireplace/lack of raised hearth bothers me more.
    That looks like a major fire hazard. Especially with drunken renters. That thing needs a large buffer before that hardwood floor.

    What if you just make the opening even smaller, so itís even, and throw a wood stove in?

    Edit - after looking closer, that would leave you with a tiny opening. Bottom line- donít let renters burn your place down

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    391
    Can you remove a little of the stone on the left and hang fireplace tools with a black backdrop to even it out?

    TV is fucking massive for that fireplace. Proportions please!!

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,056
    Do you even need the fire place? Just close it in. Looks better and your house doesn't burn down. Win-win.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    Uggghhh. So many issues.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    2,479
    Also what resort ski in/ski out? Mag specials?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    194
    What do the plans show?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,553
    As for the fire box opening, can you place a cover in front and off-set it?

    If not....consider making the side openings non-symetrical. Can you cut the left opening bigger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Pics including altimeter reading or it didnt happen.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    What do the plans show?
    Good question. Contractor blew off how we wanted this to look. We had a contraction window of 5 weeks so everything was rushed. This is a major issue for us.
    Contractor has 10 % stake in it.
    We are flipping it and itís in Aspen.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    5,857
    Contractor deserves a no ragrets tattoo for that.

    Ouch.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Good question. Contractor blew off how we wanted this to look. We had a contraction window of 5 weeks so everything was rushed. This is a major issue for us.
    Contractor has 10 % stake in it.
    We are flipping it and it’s in Aspen.
    So, there's no plans?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    There are plans. They were jotnfollowed

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    There are plans. They were jotnfollowed
    If it's not per plans and per spec, someone needs to fix their shit right now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Wet and Mild
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    There are plans. They were jotnfollowed
    How/why did it pass inspections if the plans weren't being followed? Or was this not permitted?
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,135
    That looks like shit. Makes me wonder, "What else did he fuck up?"
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    1,097
    Lawyer time.....

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    As for the fire box opening, can you place a cover in front and off-set it?

    If not....consider making the side openings non-symetrical. Can you cut the left opening bigger?
    no, we can not do that. I have a screen we are going to place in front of it, so should hide that. But long term we do not have a solution.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,800
    That entire thing is an abortion and you should be worried about other stuff that was fucked up.

    Show us the plans.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    194
    Absent of any litigation, abandon the wood burning box, cut/install/fill a ribbon fire on center.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    How/why did it pass inspections if the plans weren't being followed? Or was this not permitted?
    it was permitted, but we only had electric and plumbing inspection.
    Here is plans, obviously not followed. I havent slept in weeks, so grating.
    And yes, lots of other things were not followed.

    Name:  700 plans.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  83.1 KB

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,834
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Absent of any litigation, abandon the wood burning box, cut/install/fill a ribbon fire on center.
    what is a ribbon fire? just googled it with no idea. I dont know that we could pull eletric if it requires that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •