Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Absent of any litigation, abandon the wood burning box, cut/install/fill a ribbon fire on center.
    Never mind, saw that. Great idea, but no way we can pull gas in there. There is no gas line.

if you look at the plans, you see the door to exterior slides from left to right. When the door arrived it was backwards, not a massive deal, but just another non attention to detail that is all around the unit.

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    what is a ribbon fire? just googled it with no idea. I dont know that we could pull eletric if it requires that.
    Ribbon fireplace. I'm assuming you have gas in the fireplace, and it looks like your cabinets have power close by. Ribbon fireplaces are very shallow depth and you might be able to cheat it past any structural post to be on center.

Edit - just saw your post about no gas.

it was permitted, but we only had electric and plumbing inspection.
    Here is plans, obviously not followed. I havent slept in weeks, so grating.
    And yes, lots of other things were not followed.

Attachment 285694
    So it wasn't really "permitted." Your contractor pulled permits, but he bullshitted the Building Department, downplayed the scope of work, and ended up fucking you over in the process. That royally sucks.

Out of curiosity, did you need to perform an asbestos test and submit results as a part of your permit application? You should have had to if your contractor was up front about the scope of work when he applied.

Also, what did the fireplace surround look like before the remodel?

Feel free to PM me if you're so inclined, but I am curious about who did the work for you.

And ya gotta pay this guy 10% of your selling price? So he’s gonna rip you off twice?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Ribbon fireplace. I'm assuming you have gas in the fireplace, and it looks like your cabinets have power close by. Ribbon fireplaces are very shallow depth and you might be able to cheat it past any structural post to be on center.
    yeah no gas or propane anywhere. This is what happens when you rush a project. Per HOA, we could only build from April 15th to June 1st, and we are in Aspen, where the permitting process take forever. And we had asbestos mitigation as well. We could not start till May 1st.
    Kitchen was a total disaster. We had a professional kitchen designer come in, totally fuck up the measurements. So the layout was off. How does that happen, That is all you do is build kitchens, you came in measured twice and you fucked it up.
    Anyway i digress. We are going to dress it up as best we can.
    We are listing tomorrow, if and when we sell it, maybe have to give a credit to the buyer. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So it wasn't really "permitted." Your contractor pulled permits, but he bullshitted the Building Department, downplayed the scope of work, and ended up fucking you over in the process. That royally sucks.

Out of curiosity, did you need to perform an asbestos test and submit results as a part of your permit application? You should have had to if your contractor was up front about the scope of work when he applied.

Also, what did the fireplace surround look like before the remodel?
    yes full on asbestos mitigation, when they pulled the ceilint down there was another ceiling under that. So we went from $6k to $13 in mitigation. Plus it took a week.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. If they went to that trouble I will temper my previous statement about "scope creep."

How/why did it pass inspections if the plans weren't being followed? Or was this not permitted?
    Design, proportion, scale, composition are not life safety issues...bad design passes inspection all the time

The lack of non-combustibles at the hearth OTOH...

Curious who did the aesthetic design of that fireplace regardless of the symmetry?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Curious who did the aesthetic design of that fireplace regardless of the symmetry?
    i picked out the rock. It looked great in my other place see below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZUCC7303.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	285697
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZUCC7308.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	983.7 KB 
ID:	285698

^^ My faith has been restored in you.

Other than the electric baseboard heating.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Design, proportion, scale, composition are not life safety issues...bad design passes inspection all the time

The lack of non-combustibles at the hearth OTOH...
    True, but I inspect for both life safety, and strict adherence to the approved plan set. That includes dimensions, locations and orientations of design elements. You want to move something over a foot, that's fine, but it isn't per plan, so head on over to the Building Department and submit the change as a clarification/additional information/a change order, depending on the scale of the change.

I'm shocked at the lack of a non combustible hearth, given that the contractor would have been required to submit details of the floor assembly showing that adequate sound-attenuating underlayment was going to be installed. I frequently told contractors that I needed a separate detail showing that assembly capped by a code compliant hearth in addition to their generic flooring detail in order to accept the application.

True, but I inspect for both life safety, and strict adherence to the approved plan set. That includes dimensions, locations and orientations of design elements. You want to move something over a foot, that's fine, but it isn't per plan, so head on over to the Building Department and submit the change as a clarification/additional information/a change order, depending on the scale of the change.
    I bet you are a pleasure to work with. Thank God you dont work for a DOT
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    ^^ My faith has been restored in you.
    great, but i am not the fucking contractor. I hired him so it would look like this. I will get some pixs of it after we make some adjustements to the firebox etc. Hopefully it turns out for the better.

Uh oh. You're gonna fire up the "its my place I can do whatever I want" crew on TGR.

great, but i am not the fucking contractor. I hired him so it would look like this. I will get some pixs of it after we make some adjustements to the firebox etc. Hopefully it turns out for the better.
    Its only money.

Feel free to PM me if you're so inclined, but I am curious about who did the work for you.
    Was his first name Fred?

Another possible approach. If the stone is a facade and not brick remove approx. 1 foot of stone from left wall and paint the wall beneath. Then recenter the left storage box & door. If there isn’t sufficient depth for the box make it smaller and fit the door over the box and part of the wall (sans stonework). Oh and ditch the yuuuge TV.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Was his first name Fred?
    Lulz

That would be way beyond the scope of inspections here, based on multiple conversations with the local building department. The "plan" they require is pretty rudimentary, and they do not require strict adherence to details like you describe.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That would be way beyond the scope of inspections here, based on multiple conversations with the local building department. The "plan" they require is pretty rudimentary, and they do not require strict adherence to details like you describe.
    I know, that is how things are handled in many jurisdictions. Nothing wrong with that approach, and I'm not saying that mine is better.

However, I learned my method/approach while working for the jurisdiction that permitted this particular project, which is why I'm surprised that (A) plans showing as little detail as what SDP posted were accepted and subsequently approved and that (B) the inspection process was not more thorough.

Consider not framing the tv space. A well disguised mounting system and wiring conduit with a flat mount provides more options. You could have a piece of art instead of tv there.

That's the mona lisa right there.
    Camouflage is cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images