Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flooring rec for concrete of screened-in porch?

When our house was built in 2006, we included a nice screened-in porch, but never bothered doing anything to the bare concrete floor.

But my wife and daughter are now making some noises about how they would like some sort of nicer flooring in there.

Any recs for a type a pre-glued stick-and-click or whatever flooring that I could install on my own?
    As you can probably tell already, I have zero experience with this, but I'm reasonably handy (i.e., I mount most of the skimo race bindings in New England, especially the models with no fore-aft adjustment).

Floor measures 10' 11" x 11' 8" and something that looks vaguely wood-like would fit in well with the screen supports and ceiling.
    No desire to spend any more than is necessary, but no particular budget limit either.

The usual two big boxes are very convenient to us:
    https://www.homedepot.com/l/Hadley/MA/Hadley/01035/8452
    https://www.lowes.com/store/MA-Hadley/1916
    ...plus some indies:
    https://cowlsbuildingsupply.com/products/flooring/
    http://www.leaderhome.com/buildingproducts.html
    https://amherstfarmerssupply.com/p/5...s-Bricks--More
    ... and like most people these days, we have given into to Prime hegemony, so anything from Amazon would be fine too.

Thanks in advance for any recs!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

"I have zero experience with this, but I'm reasonably handy " This can be a dangerous combination

https://www.familyhandyman.com/floor...over-concrete/
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

How much weather gets into the interior of the porch?

But, long story short, I would either use deck tiles or a floor coating for concrete.

Since you say something wood like, composite deck tiles seem to be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by mcb556 View Post
    How much weather gets into the interior of the porch?

But, long story short, I would either use deck tiles or a floor coating for concrete.

Since you say something wood like, composite deck tiles seem to be the ticket.
    Oh, lots o' wx gets inside!
    Snow drifts in during winter, and sideways rain during ... well, all four seasons, ugh.

So check out something like this? --
    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...vZc224Z1z0uk32
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Deck-tiles-...lies/959458694

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    astroturf
    Yup. Outdoor carpet may be the move.

I know that house but can't recall what direction the porch would be on. Really doesn't matter as the floor WILL get wet. I'd go with Flowing but you might like this idea. $4/sq ft.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Inst...a-727195628082

Yes like that or what Wooley posted. Very easy install and not permanent so if you put it down and wife doesn’t approve, you can just return them and all you’ve lost is a couple hours

How would cork glue-on tiles work in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. Outdoor carpet may be the move.
    Since weather, either go all in on wall to wall outdoor carpet or paint the cement and put down a nice outdoor floor rug/covering. There are some really nice and stylish ones now

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I know that house but can't recall what direction the porch would be on. Really doesn't matter as the floor WILL get wet. I'd go with Flowing but you might like this idea. $4/sq ft.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Inst...a-727195628082
    Quote Originally Posted by mcb556 View Post
    Yes like that or what Wooley posted. Very easy install and not permanent so if you put it down and wife doesn’t approve, you can just return them and all you’ve lost is a couple hours
    Wow, that looks great, thanks!
    Plus installation is the next best thing to playing Lego with our 9 yr old daughter.
    (Actually, I could probably have her assist with installation...)
    Now the only confusing is how the Amazon seller could have only 8 available despite selling millions -- inquiry now pending reply.
    (And Wooley, you might never have seen the porch, since it's not very visible from the driveway where you parked, or the front door where you entered the house with all your gear years ago for the awesome binding mounting session. But as you may recall more generally, the porch is located in a place that gets rain 12 months out of the year, i.e., your former region of the U.S. Northeast.)

There are acid stain products that produce a nice looking finish while maintaining the durability of the concrete.
    While it may not have the comfy feeling underfoot you may be looking for it will last once sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

Now the only confusing is how the Amazon seller could have only 8 available despite selling millions -- inquiry now pending reply.
    Home Depot has a pretty wide variety online, if maybe not in stores, prices probably in the same ballpark as that Amazon listing.
    Probably should've noticed you were in Amherst and skipped the weather question -- on the North Shore now but used to live in South Hadley.

I'm suggesting a concept, not a fully researched answer. Further research is in order. Probably requires a plywood underlay. There are a lot of nice super hard woods from the rain forests used in outdoor flooring/decking out there. And installation of tiles would only take a home handyman such as myself 1 day to study "How To's" and 3-4 days to install. If it were me, I'd try to appease the ladies with cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. 3-4 hours to install and be done with it. But I'm not you and you are not me and that is how it is. Good luck.

Advice I was given by an old, German trained cabinet maker, "If you take care with the edges, the middle will take care of itself." is appropriate here.

Stone tile with section rugs that can be picked up and cleaned.

^^^ This. Some nice tile that matches something.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Jute or sisal carpet . I wouldn't glue anything down since you have moisture exposure. When your wife gets sick of the rug just go buy another one she likes better.

Wow, this was crazy easy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190629_202200957_2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	287508

A few clicks on Amazon then the boxes were on my porch two days later.
    Total time for everything -- including taking the boxes from the front door to the porch, unpacking them, laying them down, clicking them together, snipping apart some of them to fit the final row, and recycling the boxes -- was about an hour.

Many thanks for all the advice!

(Once I get my new car about a month from now with more cargo capacity I'll buy some better furniture than the old green plastic stuff you can see out the window in the picture.)

That turned out sweet. Some teak furniture off Craigslist would class that room up nice.

Wow, this was crazy easy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190629_202200957_2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	287508

A few clicks on Amazon then the boxes were on my porch two days later.
    Total time for everything -- including taking the boxes from the front door to the porch, unpacking them, laying them down, clicking them together, snipping apart some of them to fit the final row, and recycling the boxes -- was about an hour.

Many thanks for all the advice!

(Once I get my new car about a month from now with more cargo capacity I'll buy some better furniture than the old green plastic stuff you can see out the window in the picture.)
    whats this product?

Click on the above Amazon link

Looks like a total dirt trap. I like the stained concrete idea with rugs myself. Some really aesthetic options there and easy to clean, and probably pretty inexpensive. The Amazon option definitely looks very nice though.

I would go with a wood look vinyl. I just installed a stone looking vinyl in a bathroom that Lumber Liquidators guarantees is 100% waterproof. This is a floating floor so no glue, just click together. I installed over UGLY sheet vinyl, no underlayment required. I guess LL could tell you if it is appropriate for an outside application but I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Looks like a total dirt trap.[...]
    I'm thinking (hoping?) that the dirt will partially be swept off and the rest will just fall through the cracks (i.e., the equivalent of sweeping it under the rug.

So one drawback (not shown in the pic) is that I had to leave a small section un-tiled since the door (to the outside) swings into the porch, with zero clearance on its bottom edge.
    My wife asked me about painting the bare concrete some sort of brown color so that it isn't as much of a concrete with the wood tiles.
    Sure, no problem.
    Question: I have some leftover brown trim paint from our house, so would that be fine for such a small area (i.e., ~4 sq ft) or should I buy something specific for concrete?

I'm thinking (hoping?) that the dirt will partially be swept off and the rest will just fall through the cracks (i.e., the equivalent of sweeping it under the rug.

So one drawback (not shown in the pic) is that I had to leave a small section un-tiled since the door (to the outside) swings into the porch, with zero clearance on its bottom edge.
    My wife asked me about painting the bare concrete some sort of brown color so that it isn't as much of a concrete with the wood tiles.
    Sure, no problem.
    Question: I have some leftover brown trim paint from our house, so would that be fine for such a small area (i.e., ~4 sq ft) or should I buy something specific for concrete?
    Cut down the door, or if for some reason you can't cut it, replace it. Leaving a section untiled looks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Cut down the door, or if for some reason you can't cut it, replace it. Leaving a section untiled looks bad.
    & make a sill to keep critters out