Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    based on your location I’m not sure, but I bet AKPM could show you where to catch some fresh fish. and what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Care to expand on this? Just submerge in cold water and keep changing the water? I suppose I do have a little stream....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    yes - or a slow drip from the faucet
    ^^^this. Fish is best thawed as quick as possible, while still keeping it cool. A slow drip from the faucet while taking the hound for an evening walk after work usually does it.

Care to teach me?

well it depends on the fish

sword, the blood line should be bright red

do not buy Atlantic salmon, buy fresh king. it needs to be firm and bright red and glistening and firm with no smell

no fresh king - by frozen sockeye or fresh. again bright red and glistening and firm with no smell

any sole or flounder is frozen at sea, ask when it was thawed

haddock, cod etc is probably frozen at sea, ask when thawed

whole fish should have bright eyes and the gills are white and glistening and no smell

anything that looks grey is not worth buying except monk fish - maybe

Thanks. Frozen it is. I so lazy though.

Care to teach me?

Just look for fish with that happy face at harvest time.....

Mmm. Now I get it. Don’t look booner.

When I lived in CO I used these guys for west coast grub

http://catalinaop.com/40-years-of-su.../#.XQGzS3ROmhB

and these guys for Gulf coast snapper and amberjack.

https://www.joepattis.com/Joe-Pattis...ny-Welcome.cfm

Benny has this one right. The grocery stores get it frozen and leave it sitting on nasty ice all day, then call it "fresh." But the whole industry is fucking the oceans, fresh or frozen.

Fritz- check out Blue Reef Seafood in Longmont.

hear up narth you text a Gitxsan fella down river, he goes out after breaky with his cousin and catches a bunch, its pretty fresh cuz you get it same day, only 8$ a fish so to make it worth his while order 100 , keep a few and sell the rest to yer buds

so now he knows where you live and the next year he might just show up unannounced and try to flog a buncha fish
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Just look for fish with that happy face at harvest time.....

Carpe diem

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The best fish we get is the frozen from Costco and Trader's. Frozen on the boat, stays that way until we're ready to cook it. Safeway has some decent frozen shrimp in bags.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ^^^this. Fish is best thawed as quick as possible, while still keeping it cool. A slow drip from the faucet while taking the hound for an evening walk after work usually does it.
    I just throw it in a bowl of cold water. 20-45 minutes depending on the fish. Pat dry when thawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

^^^This is what I do too, works well. I’m sure I’m killing the earth, but it’s hard to beat the Costco frozen scallops, shrimp, halibut, and mahi-mahi. Easy peasy dinners.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^This is what I do too, works well. I’m sure I’m killing the earth, but it’s hard to beat the Costco frozen scallops, shrimp, halibut, and mahi-mahi. Easy peasy dinners.
    I like that big bag of mixed seafood to make seafood gumbo. Damn... now I'm hungry for gumbo.

my Gitxsan buddy told me put the fish in a cooler of water overnight and in the morning the scales will all come off, trust me I been doing this for >30 yars

he was right
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for the ideas. It kinda sucks being landlocked.

Scallops are my favorite sea food but good ones are hard to find and IMO they're overwhelmed by the spices in gumbo. Shrimp, chicken and andouille for me.

But--scallops in coconut lime sauce: Flour scallops and saute, add coconut milk (not low fat), brown sugar, sliced jalapenos, lime juice and simmer. Garnish with cilantro. (Optional--saute sliced onion and add to the scallops and other stuff before simmering). Serve in a bowl, or over fried noodles: boil noodles. Saute garlic in peanut oil, add fish sauce and cooked noodles, fry until noodles are crisp on the bottom, flip and fry until second side is crisp.

Other seafood favorites for me--Peruvian style ceviche or NOLA blackened fish, and of course, seared ahi.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    <snip>
    Other seafood favorites for me--Peruvian style ceviche
    You got a recommended Peruvian ceviche recipe? I love me a good ceviche.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I like that big bag of mixed seafood to make seafood gumbo. Damn... now I'm hungry for gumbo.
    With the stuff in the freezer, I’ll get local fresh, (meaning clams, mussels and/or salmon), for cioppino. Again, easy peasy.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You got a recommended Peruvian ceviche recipe? I love me a good ceviche.

1. Have a nice Peruvian coca mate.
    2. Fillet a nice Peruvian fish and place in a glass baking pan.
    3. Enjoy some more nice Peruvian coca mate.
    4. Squeeze 1/2 dozen nice Peruvian limes over the fillet of nice Peruvian fish.
    5. Put some plastic wrap over the baking pan to keep the Peruvian blowflies out.
    6. Let sit for 1/2 hour in the shade while you enjoy a bit more nice Peruvian coca mate.
    7. Enjoy!

Goat, yer still overpowering the scallops IMHO. Plain seared for a hot minute in butter, maybe breadcrumbs if they're monsters.

Or in ceviche.

Recipe:
    Fish. Any kind or combo cubed to bite-size. Soak in lime juice til fish is firm. Add peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, green onions, fennel, sun chokes, whatever you like that is fresh, crispy and tangy.

Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Scallops are my favorite sea food but good ones are hard to find and IMO they're overwhelmed by the spices in gumbo. Shrimp, chicken and andouille for me.

But--scallops in coconut lime sauce: Flour scallops and saute, add coconut milk (not low fat), brown sugar, sliced jalapenos, lime juice and simmer. Garnish with cilantro. (Optional--saute sliced onion and add to the scallops and other stuff before simmering). Serve in a bowl, or over fried noodles: boil noodles. Saute garlic in peanut oil, add fish sauce and cooked noodles, fry until noodles are crisp on the bottom, flip and fry until second side is crisp.

Other seafood favorites for me--Peruvian style ceviche or NOLA blackened fish, and of course, seared ahi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I've always liked the seafood here. Eat in or take it home and prepare yourself. Their shrimp is always awesome: http://www.bigmaclittlelus.com/

If using frozen, thawing slowly overnight is best for texture.

Do not let your fish thaw openly in water, that will destroy the flesh. Vac pac is best or wrap tight. A slow faucet drip works if you need to speed it up but make sure filets are waterproofed.

Buy "dry pack" scallops if you can. If you can't then just pat them dry before searing deep golden brown on hot cast iron. Don't flour them.

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    If using frozen, thawing slowly overnight is best for texture.

Do not let your fish thaw openly in water, that will destroy the flesh. Vac pac is best or wrap tight. A slow faucet drip works if you need to speed it up but make sure filets are waterproofed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Directly contradictory statements. Which is it?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy