Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to Buy Fresh Fish?

Historically I've gone to whole foods (Colorado) for fish and it has been ok (although over-priced). Lately it seems the quality has gone downhill. Maybe it's the day of the week/time of day I make the purchase, but it has been so bad lately I feel like I need to look elsewhere. Any recommendations in the Denver/Boulder area?

Tom's seafood on Alameda West of Union
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Historically I've gone to whole foods (Colorado) for fish and it has been ok (although over-priced). Lately it seems the quality has gone downhill. Maybe it's the day of the week/time of day I make the purchase, but it has been so bad lately I feel like I need to look elsewhere. Any recommendations in the Denver/Boulder area?
    Can't vouch for the seafood, since I've never gotten any of it, but for meatses I like this place:

https://goo.gl/maps/FwjrGB29PtTCChcY7

And they have quite a selection of seafood at the counter.

But don't blame me if you try it and get food poisoning.

You know - another place I've heard has really good seafood (and priced well) is this chain: https://goo.gl/maps/aYZw2LjJ4YCYm7eSA

Y'ever try Sprouts? Worth checking out I'd say.

https://www.sprouts.com/store/co/den...colorado-blvd/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Y'ever try Sprouts? Worth checking out I'd say.

https://www.sprouts.com/store/co/den...colorado-blvd/
    if their fish is anything like their produce, no thanks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Costco can have good stuff at the right times. Wild Salmon now. Get there on Tuesday or Friday at the Superior store for the fresh deliveries

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Somewhere near the ocean

Thanks. Sprouts is worse than WF in my experience. I go to sprouts for pretty much everything except produce meat and seafood.

I'd play it safe with frozen in Colorado. You're kinda landlocked there, not a safe place to buy coastal fish. It was probably frozen at one point, anyway. Anton Brown taught me that, unless you live within a few miles of the dock the boats return to, always buy frozen shrimp. It's fine. Love the deep frozen cut up frozen tuna steaks at Whole Foods. Just don't think about the horrible slave labor conditions on the giant floating factories they are processed in, and the damage those large fleets are doing to the world's fish population, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    if their fish is anything like their produce, no thanks.
    Yeah they're expanding in the Baltimore area and probably on their best behavior as they reach for market share but the produce is good, I'd say better than WF, which has declined noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah they're expanding in the Baltimore area and probably on their best behavior as they reach for market share but the produce is good, I'd say better than WF, which has declined noticeably.
    the Sprouts that is near my house has decent looking cheap produce, but every time I get suckered into buying, it goes bad within 2 days. Like they're buying leftover produce at discount prices.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Milfco on Thursdays
    watch out for snakes

Don’t google that. FYI.

Uh er

Costco

But it's all fishy related yanno.
    watch out for snakes

Where to Buy Fresh Fish?

The guide and his boat is booked for the 1st week in august. $600 cash plus fuel per day, 4 days booked as a few more family members are joining. Chinook, coho, ling cod, halibut and some rock fish. Packed in ice and processed when we get home to the interior. Just enjoying a filet of rock fish tonight, from last year’s catch, barely any scent at all. Local store has thawed halibut steaks for $40/kg, ling for $45. And I can smell it walking by the tray. As long as I’m within 2 days drive of the guide and open chuck, this is the way I’ll get my seafood.

I’ll take a few lbs of each. Thanks!

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:08 AM.

I guess I was assuming that all “fresh” fish is frozen at some point. For sure when landlocked and probably most of the time on the coasts. I don’t always have time to thaw frozen which is why I roll the dice at the seafood counter sometimes.

I guess I was assuming that all “fresh” fish is frozen at some point. For sure when landlocked and probably most of the time on the coasts. I don’t always have time to thaw frozen which is why I roll the dice at the seafood counter sometimes.

Just have to think ahead. But I gave never lived more than 2 miles from the Pacific near a commercial harbor. It's one of the reasons I pay for it. There have to be some high end frozen fish out there, I just don't know about them
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Just have to think ahead. But I gave never lived more than 2 miles from the Pacific near a commercial harbor. It's one of the reasons I pay for it. There have to be some high end frozen fish out there, I just don't know about them
    Edit. That's not true, I lived in Portland for a time. Don't remember eating much fish, except at restaurants
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Where to Buy Fresh Fish?

Fresh, whole, in-season sockeye makes it as far as Kamloops to the larger chain grocery stores in early Aug. ‘loops is about 4hrs from Vancouver. I have no qualms buying 4 or 5 fish or more if I time a trip to the city right. There is a seafood market there as well that regularly has fresh (unfrozen) seafood, but their prices are too rich for my bank account.

I can thaw a fillet under a bit of running water in under 2hrs. An inch thick steak will take a little closer to 3hrs.

Where to Buy Fresh Fish?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I can thaw a fillet under a bit of running water in under 2hrs. An inch thick steak will take a little closer to 3hrs.
    Care to expand on this? Just submerge in cold water and keep changing the water? I suppose I do have a little stream....

learn to buy fish by how it looks

Care to teach me?

Care to expand on this? Just submerge in cold water and keep changing the water?

yes - or a slow drip from the faucet