Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Celebrating High School Graduation

Just returned from a trip to TX with gf for her niece's HS grad. I was a bit surprised at the level of celebratory excess for such a simple and ordinary accomplishment. Wow, high school diploma! How'd you pull that off?

I understand you're also celebrating a big life milestone, but it was a three-day affair with family from all over the states flying in. There was a big family dinner, brunch, private reception at tony country club (where sport coats were required for gentlemen) and of course the actual pomp and circumstance of the graduation ceremony that made me feel like I was attending a royal christening. Seems a bit overboard. Everyone kept assuring me the excess was because "we do everything big in Texas!" but what's next, Jr High Graduation Parade?

Didn't you all just get drunk at the moon tower for your graduation?

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Just returned from a trip to TX with gf for her niece's HS grad. I was a bit surprised at the level of celebratory excess for such a simple and ordinary accomplishment. Wow, high school diploma! How'd you pull that off?

I understand you're also celebrating a big life milestone, but it was a three-day affair with family from all over the states flying in. There was a big family dinner, brunch, private reception at tony country club (where sport coats were required for gentlemen) and of course the actual pomp and circumstance of the graduation ceremony that made me feel like I was attending a royal christening. Seems a bit overboard. Everyone kept assuring me the excess was because "we do everything big in Texas!" but what's next, Jr High Graduation Parade?

Didn't you all just get drunk at the moon tower for your graduation?
    No moon tower here, Jaques' Lot was the place. And, yes, Jr High graduations are becoming bigger deals.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

They got this right. You're better off blowing big $ on the graduation vs. a wedding. Most graduations are permanent.

Did the CC have a 3rd floor bathroom?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Maybe she was the first in history of her family to graduate from high school. If so, that could be worth celebrating for three days

dude now days they celebrate graduating from grade school to highschool and I'm pretty sure i've heard of celebrating kindergarten graduation

T'was yars ago, all I remember is dad was working afternoons and mom doesnt drive so no fam showed up which was good cuz I was high as fuck and just hoping i didn't trip on the stairs to the stage,

after wards went drinking with a guy who later became an aids activist (who knew) and the the other guy found punk rock and is still doing it

my tenant is very proud of the youngest of her 4 kids because she will be the 1st to graduate from HS and plans to go to be a nurse
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^Heh, was in PT office yesterday, PT’s kid came in wanting to know if he was going to be at her Kindergarten graduation. At 4pm, he has patients until 5.

I dropped acid at my HS graduation.

Throughout human history we've celebrated things. Compared to the 5 day Festival of Bacchus, a 3 day HS graduation celebration is relatively benign.

"The Bacchanalia was a Babylonian celebration honoring the birth of Tammuz, the son of Ishtar, the queen of heaven. Bacchus was the god of wine and fertility and was also associated with love, sacred prostitution, and the fertility cycle of nature.

The Bacchus festival was also known as the drunken festival and was widely associated with alcohol, dancing, and sacred sexual orgies for the purification of sin. Indulging in sexual orgies with worshipers was supposed to earn admiration from the gods.

It was expected that every young woman would lose her virginity during this festival in dedication to the great mother goddess. The festival lasted five days, during which time the slaves were emancipated and received total freedom for the duration of the festival."

Niece graduated from a Texas college as a nurse, so a nurse pinning, plus a grad ceremony.

Praise Jebus at every turn, and the coup de grace of having Karl Rove speak at the commencement.

Of course all three of the local democrats showed up with signs to protest Karl Rove.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    dude now days they celebrate graduating from grade school to highschool and I'm pretty sure i've heard of celebrating kindergarten graduation
    My 5 yo has a "moving up" celbration for leaving Preschool going to Kindergarten.
    I shit you not.

Not sad i will be out of town.

Seriously though, a HS diploma is important and should be celebrated.

Not to devolve into the many debates taking place in the schools thread, but it is needed for most employment and I think you will find more and more moving on to non traditional post HS education in the coming years.

Also as far as milestones, in my family it is the good luck in the real world because you arent living here anymore celebration

You gotta remember though that for some of these kids a HS diploma will be the highest education they will ever achieve. Coming from rural Montana, the high school graduations were a big deal for certain families based on this very reason. There are still plenty out there who never finish their grade 12.

Sometimes the celebrations were large because their kid would be the first in the family attending college after HS. That can be huge deal for parents in rural America.

with family from all over the states flying in.
    And their boyfriends... it's crazy isn't it. You'd think the boyfriend would just say fuck that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    And their boyfriends... it's crazy isn't it. You'd think the boyfriend would just say fuck that shit.
    lulz

TX IMO has the hottest women in the US. I can't blame Parvo for going to check out the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    You gotta remember though that for some of these kids a HS diploma will be the highest education they will ever achieve.
    This is true, but considering part of this celebration was at a country club, I'm going out on limb and assuming that's probably NOT the case in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    TX IMO has the hottest women in the US.
    It's not a dry heat though.

Traditions from an earlier time often seem odd, but it's still kinda fun to get together with your families and have a party.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Well, I rarely say fuck that shit to a party, and they did send a netjet for us to attend. These are kids of privilege so maybe this is how wealthy folks like to celebrate. Although gf's father told her "no ring, no bring" in reference to my attending these type of family gatherings in the future.

Well, I rarely say fuck that shit to a party, and they did send a netjet for us to attend. These are kids of privilege so maybe this is how wealthy folks like to celebrate. Although gf's father told her "no ring, no bring" in reference to my attending these type of family gatherings in the future.
    How Trumpian.

(You should have mentioned the net-jet in the monologue)

The only reason I made it out of HS was I laughed at the math teach when he asked if I was going on to the higher edumacation,

in any case I never had to do any post secondary ed cuz when I was 18 I was made by IBM
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

and they did send a netjet for us to attend.
    I guess the obvious question now is how much did the parents give to Harvard or wherever to get their daughter in?

Congrats to the Parvo.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

Most graduations are permanent.
    Bringing in the lulz!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

IMO we should bring back The Bacchanalia.

And the "no ring, no bring" thing sounds like a VERY good excuse not to ever go back to Texas for that kind of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    IMO we should bring back The Bacchanalia.

And the "no ring, no bring" thing sounds like a VERY good excuse not to ever go back to Texas for that kind of shit.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I guess the obvious question now is how much did the parents give to Harvard or wherever to get their daughter in?
    She earned a booster's full ride athletic scholarship to attend a well-known tx university that some would liken to a cult. So I get how acknowledging that achievement is worth a little extra cheddar in the check, but three days of lavish celebration for a HS diploma seems excessive to me.