Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    my daughter is having her graduation thing this weekend.
    Damn. Congrats old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Really don't need a reason to have a party, but we celebrated my daughter's HS graduation at the house last weekend. You miserable fucks wouldn't have been offered a beer.
    Where was my Netjet hookup? We're talking champagne, dude, not beer.

the boy got out of 8th grade today - they called it "promotion" in lieu of graduation
    it was nice to see the kids done with middle school

no net jets or relatives or gold-digging significant others were involved

sort of sorry i didn't bring a mylar pikachu tho...that seemed to be de rigueur

now days everybody gets a participation ribbon on sports day

back in the day I told the youngest that mom & dad splitup/fuckedup and there wasn't any money so he better get a scholarship, so I was talking on the phone and he told me he was teaching old people to drive computers so I asked WTF for ? He told me you can't just be smart you gotta be a well rounded person and show humanitarian tendencies

Of course thats bulshit cuz he is an engineer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Where was my Netjet hookup? We're talking champagne, dude, not beer.
    Look man. I've gotta pay for Nova. You think I'm made of money? National basketball championships don't come for free.

Just so the collective attitude doesn't cement at, oh, yeah, stupid Texas people celebrating the first HS grad, I see signs on the lawns around here, a very upscale CT. County, "2019 (Wilton, Greenwich, etc.) H.S. Grad.", and think, wow, really, you're celebrating that?
    Right? Why advertise that their kid failed to get into Phillips Exeter?
    I still call it The Jake.

I should be more thankful, and I'm not complaining about the trip - although is was so unbearably fkn hot in SA my balls were literally sticking to the legs of homeless people we passed along the river walk - showing up to receive your HS diploma shouldn't be celebrated like you won the Noble Prize. You did your job. Hand the ball to the ref and get ready for the next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    Noble Prize.
    Let them celebrate how they want to, and leave the understated ceremony to the Swedes and their award.

If anything the competition could lift them both.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Right? Why advertise that their kid failed to get into Phillips Exeter?
    Well, yeah, there's also that around here. It's basically saying, my kid went to public school.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The Bacchus festival was also known as the drunken festival and was widely associated with alcohol, dancing, and sacred sexual orgies for the purification of sin. Indulging in sexual orgies with worshipers was supposed to earn admiration from the gods.
    I've got a Bacchus SG, and back when I played in a semi-popular band I might have partaken in such things.

Name:  7238771536_59bb30a540_z.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  114.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Fun fact: Wooderson went to high school in Texas.

Why wouldn’t you celebrate the first important step in having yer kid move out? It’s not just about her, think of the dad. And if they are dumber than dirt, the relief of it all may make the party last multiple days.

This year at the local k-12 school, they celebrated everyone's graduation, grade by grade.

I thought it made the seniors look kinda shafted when they got to share their graduation with literally every kid in the school.

I felt compelled to explain to my kids that this was utter bullshit.

Props to you for teaching your kids what utter bullshit is. Share a few bones and a six pack with them soon.

Is purification of sin just a euphemism for what happens in your 20s?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    og, entertaining lakeside has it’s challenges.
    especially on the 4th if the lakeside in question is public and crammed with falling-down drunks--one of whom fell down and banged his head and died a few years ago

we were at a totally over the top wedding last summer on Long Island--at an exclusive country club, with an enormous separate room filled with hors d'ouevres--prime rib, shrimp, lobster, thai food, indian food, pasta, etc etc, 6 foot tall flower arrangements, 11 piece band with 4 singers, dinner not even served until 10. But the couple--my cousin's nephew and the bride--have middle-middle class education jobs in Chicago. You can be brought up in luxury and still have your head screwed on right.

Was at my cousins graduation from Private highschool a few weeks ago, it was a good chance to see my family, but noticed it seemed way more of a big deal than when I graduated from public school.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    the boy got out of 8th grade today - they called it "promotion" in lieu of graduation
    8th Grade Education used to mean something in this country
    "Good Christian raisin & an eight Grade education:"

Seriously, my grandfather graduated from 8th grade, went to work on the farm, learned to fix anyhting, used that to fix planes in the army, came back farmed and then ran a sales business for years.
    Noone who met the man would ever consider him uneducated.

There used to be a show on one of the cable channels, My great big prom or something like that.

The premise was to have spent moar money and had the most lavish prom party than anyone else.

Its one thing to celebrate a mile stone and quite another to create a narcissistic orgy of excess.

I guess its what people do when they are independently wealthy.
    watch out for snakes

I feel the Texas hate in this thread, but considering the country club and private jets, it just sounds to me like rich people who like to party. I’m sure there are folks like that in other states, too.

My HS graduation was at the concert hall by the Seattle Space Needle for the diplomas and speeches, then they bused us off to a hotel ballroom for dinner and all-nighter graduation party. So it took two days instead of three, and there were no jets or country clubs involved, but still kind of a big deal.

so does she have a sister? maybe you can hook us up
    got nothing against texans and oil money
    don't own a sport jacket, but maybe the sister can buy me one
    spent my youth at the country club so I know how to act
    was just at some texas friends house the other day
    mom in her best southern accent says "braden is that your bible on the dining room table? what verses were you reading with your girlfriend?"
    meanwhile I'm looking at all the natti lite in the wine fridge and the hot tub out back

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've got a Bacchus SG, and back when I played in a semi-popular band I might have partaken in such things.

Name:  7238771536_59bb30a540_z.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  114.7 KB
    If that guitar could tell stories?

I have a close friend who also played in a semi popular band once upon a time. He nearly got both of us killed by a jealous husband once.

One of the other band members died a few years ago, and I asked him if anyone knew what he died of since it was a mystery. He just replied "hard living."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The Bacchus festival was also known as the drunken festival and was widely associated with alcohol, dancing, and sacred sexual orgies for the purification of sin. Indulging in sexual orgies with worshipers was supposed to earn admiration from the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Is purification of sin just a euphemism for what happens in your 20s?
    #fucksin
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Props to you for teaching your kids what utter bullshit is. Share a few bones and a six pack with them soon.
    They've been studying your posts for years Benny.
    Great BS detectors.