Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Good bikes but an LBS owner told me he wasnt crazy about being a dealer cuz Specialized will also want him to sell all their specialized shit and so he didn't wana be dictated to or deal with that
    I heard the same from a guy I ride with who's a buyer for a shop. Spec will require a significant portion of every thing in shop carries their name which basically chokes other brands out from the region a Spec. dealer services.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post

Sersly those EVO bikes are sick as fuck
    There's something for everyone...
    If it fits you well and gives you happy pants when you ride and you are otherwise uninformed (or just don't care) how the company operates (which in this case is arguably a Sinyard thing), more power to ya... Ride, have fun, don't think too hard about it eigh?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Specialized uses litigation as a business model. My favorite of the many lawsuit stories is when they threatened a small bike shop that used "Roubaix" in its name, claiming that Spec owned that word as a copyright. (Nevermind the whole place in France thing.) Bike shop was too small to fight on its own, which is pretty much standard Spec cutthroat practices.

Fuck Specialized. I will never buy anything from them.

Details on Spec asshole tactics:

http://drunkcyclist.com/2014/03/12/now-know/
    I think they changed their tagline to "litigate or die"...

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I heard the same from a guy I ride with who's a buyer for a shop. Spec will require a significant portion of every thing in shop carries their name which basically chokes other brands out from the region a Spec. dealer services.
    Yeah, this has been going on for a long time now, also true of Trek...

I’m more into Jamis these days, these 3VO rigs look sick. Should I not like this company?
    https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/jamis3vo.html
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m more into Jamis these days, these 3VO rigs look sick. Should I not like this company?
    Like whoever you want, but seriously, Spec's pedal for shit. Their road bikes are pretty sweet though. And by sweet, I mean: they have good paint schemes.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I think maybe that ^^ model works in a big store in a big mall in a big place with lotsa consumers ? For an LBS owner who thinks he can make money selling the Specialized koolaid he would have to be drinking lots himself, but ask yerself why would any LBS take the risks to in effect build a store for litigation happy Specialized ?

"Spec will require a significant portion of every thing in shop carries their name which basically chokes other brands out from the region a Spec. dealer services. "

the long established LBS here in small town BC had Spesh as one of at least 4 or 5 strong "A" brands, for whatever reason they drop Spesh, a new store picks up Specialized and sells a lot of enduro bikes, but the new store didn't have enough money to be dictated to so Spesh will take what they can get

That store closed so now there is nothing Special in town anymore but if you wana buy a Specialized out east a big time hockey store thinks selling bikes will be easy so what could go wrong eh ?

Jamis has always been a "B" brand
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well, they (Jamis) aren't run by a sue happy megalomaniac, so they have that going for them...
    And (not that it really matters either) but, 3V0 = licensed Chris Currie/Speedgoat suspension design which gets a decent review but also seems to be the next wave of hyperbole driven next-best-thing...

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    And (not that it really matters either) but, 3V0 = licensed Chris Currie/Speedgoat suspension design which gets a decent review but also seems to be the next wave of hyperbole driven next-best-thing...
    Fancy linkage designs just don't seem to matter much these days since shocks are so good now. They look nice (rear triangle looks a lot like Yeti's*) and well spec'ed for the price, but the geo is still on the conservative side.

* - ETA for XXX-er: Just the shape of the rear triangle, obviously the linkage design is quite different.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Horstlink/walking bar/ DW/ singlepivot the same flavor of each will all kinda look the same

BUT yeti has switch infinity, it looks like an extra shock or SFT but really its just a single pivot with the main pivot moving on some shockey looking device ( that doesnt have any springs or air) and some shock linkage

SO switch infinity doesn't really look like anything else and nobody really knows how it works but it does
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-14-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    And I'm not sure I've ever been called an REI yuppie, but I've been called much worse.
    Unpossible

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  4 month.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  13.5 KB
    now i'm concerned as I've always kinda liked Yeti yet the warranty comments in here are raising alarms for my bud with the 4.5 that broke in half on the weekend
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

It was probably suicide. Those shoes aren't yeti blue
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I've heard of more broken Yetis than any other bike brand. By like a factor of 5. Both carbon and alloy.
    From what I gather, their warranty is okay, though a bit slow and frustrating. Good to have a backup bike, since you might be waiting 2-3 months for your replacement. I haven't had to deal with it myself, so maybe it's different from y sideline perspective.. Definitely would never buy a used Yeti though.
    However many are in a shit ton.

The only videos I like are "Friday Fails" There was one crash this week that made me think of this thread.
    I love this guy trying to do an "Enduro Skid" and eats shit: ( I set the video to start for just his skid fail)

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Fancy linkage designs just don't seem to matter much these days since 1x chainrings let pretty much any design be adjusted to set anti-squat near 100%.
    FIFY. The shocks help a little, but they don't have much to do now that people stopped listening to Special-Ed ads claiming the FSR pedals well. They "fixed" that with a shock, too.

The Jamis instant center moves similarly to Yeti's "switch infinity" 4-bar (Diamondback's, too; back and roughly along the chain line with travel). If you really need to set sag at 100% and still have the bike pedal perfectly a single pivot can make the same claim with a solo chainring. But focusing on pedaling at bottom out seems like a good way to compromise wheel rate where it matters most. Meh.

Seems to be where we're at. Everyone has a capable bike/system. Pick your fit and go with it. I do prefer a single axle path though. The dual link bikes have their strong points but I find the changing axle path gives a vague feeling. Less intuitive. I still think 4 bar is the best compromise. Splitting hairs, fit is more important

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

They're almost all 4-bars or single pivot where axle path is concerned (Felt had a 6-bar, but not much else out there.) I also find DW-link vague when pedaling and like the more positive feel of keeping the IC on the chainline rather than above and forward, trying to balance chain against acceleration/weight transfer. That was a better idea before 1x; if you look you can see where DW bikes have trended to pulling the IC back and closer to the chain lately. But the exact mechanism tends to be a non-factor: get the wheel rate right and keep it from bouncing and the rest is indeed hair-splitting.

As an engineer it's kind of embarrassing that it's been necessary for consumers to know anything about kinematics at all--I once met a CalPoly degreed ME who didn't even know the term. Blaming Specialized helps, though.

Too much effort to hate, can I just be ambivalent bout the yetish?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Too much effort to hate, can I just be ambivalent bout the yetish?
    Strongly support. Ambivalence is my life motto.

My kid works for a Specialized dealer. Can I still invite him to Thanksgiving?

Not if he brings his Levo and talks about how Sagan editions are actually worth it...otherwise: fine.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

It depends, how many Thanksgivings in a row can this years new Turkey be 25% juceyier, and mashed potatoes be 15% whipier?

Both the Hardline and Portal ride real nice. As mentioned above, the geometry isn't super progressive, but still very functional and both were a blast to ride. I was working at a Jamis dealer up until a few weeks ago, and was planning to get a Portal 29 to replace my current do-everything bike. Jamis didn't have one in my size at the time, but they've always been a real pleasure to work with (their op is based out of NJ), and I probably would've ended up with one if I stayed in that racket.

Be it Yeti or Santa Cruz or Ibis or any bike it should speak to you, when you ride it, when you pick it up, when you look at it especialy if yer spending 6k

I am conflicted about Yeti. I have a new sb100, which is hands down the most fun ‘xc’ bike That I have EVER ridden. All of the blather that I read on MTBR is a little disconcerting...but I don’t know of anyone personally that has needed to warranty theirs, so I don’t know where the truth lies.
    I have never had a bike feel more perfect right out of the box than this one.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    any bike it should speak to you, when you ride it
    BS, bikes are to be ridden and not heard, my bike speaks to me it gets a butch slap and is told to STFU.