Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Drift boat advice

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    THIS. I was on the sticks and 2funky was in the back of the Headhunter II last summer on the Clark Fork...until he wasn't.

I won't take my kids out in the skiff.
    Lol! My fault for thinking my oarsman would row around the rocks. Damn that was funny. First time I’ve been knocked out of a boat. Thankfully it was summer time and not spring.
    Sweet boat JP!

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    So I pulled the trigger on the RO skiff!!!! Overall its in good shape. A few dings and scratches here and there but nothing major. Trailer is solid. she's going to clean up nice.

Sort of a funny story, seller had pulled a Gates of Ladore permit for next month and was itching to sell so he could build out a raft setup.....his wife wouldn't let him have two boats. In my head I'm laughing that i just convinced my wife that two boats was a good idea. He hadn't had too much interest so ended up letting it go for $4200. I feel like I can get that back pretty easily if it ends up not being the boat for me. Overall super stoked. Who wants to fish the Reef this weekend ???

Attachment 285783
    Any woman who says you have too many boats might not be the right woman...

Also nice boat!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    low sides cool
    till the waters higher than the side
    goin on 18 years now and probably more days than the rest of your glass fibred boats combined
    hogs and J St.J been great for me
    and don't try the 12 guage durability test
    on the water with your rubber or glass
    cause it wont float and you wont be happy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Not sure if you found one yet but this is a stupid good deal, I am half tempted to buy it for myself, just cause

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56498209
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Not sure if you found one yet but this is a stupid good deal, I am half tempted to buy it for myself, just cause

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56498209
    Holy shit....that’s a really good deal. I ended up scooping the 09 RO skiff. Some one should buy that boat!

Got her out for the maiden voyage last weekend. It’s a sweet little whip!! Feels like a sports car out there. A breeze to backrow and Soo nice to fish out of. The best part was that my wife absolutely loves rowing it!! Most I’ve fished in a long time!

I was hoping I’d be able to use my 9ft sawyer MX/dynalite shoal cuts, but they are definitely too long. I had to move the stops all the way to the ends and was still hitting my knees. RO sends these skiffs out with 8 1/2 foot oars. I talked to those guys in Bozeman and they suggested I could add in some risers to try to run the 9fters. To do this I would need to get some XLong cobra oadlocks, and fashion blocks out of hdep. Which would cost 150$ or so and could still be goofy.

I’m leaning towards just scooping some new oat shafts and moving the blades over. The shop in Denver has both 8 and 8.5 counterbalanced sawyer polecats for 150/ea. MX would have to be ordered and are 225/ea. unfortunately, none of my buddies have this short of oars so trying different sizes is not really an option

You guys think the softness of the polecats vrs MX would be as noticeable in the smaller size/ lighter boat? Do I want to go all the way down to 8fters or stick with the RO recommendation of 8.5?

As always thanks for the input.

Why spend money when you can build your own?

https://www.ksl.com/article/46592257...omemade-canoes

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im pretty stoked on the new black dog trailer I got from the ro bros

the fact that your a business and cant afford to cover 3% on credit card purchases
    not so much
    first and last thing I ever buy from them
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Why spend money when you can build your own?

https://www.ksl.com/article/46592257...omemade-canoes
    I was in a cardboard kayak race, we got 2 rolls of tape some cardboard fridgeboxes, 45 minutes to build a boat and race it around the swim area marker at the beach in a calm lake

by the time i got back to the sand a couple minutes after the start my kayak was leaking/ taking on water ^^ these guys are crazy

some of the spots people want to get in/out up here have steep banks and its a big hassle with a drift boat but with some 12' long 2x4's its usually possible to deal with
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know