Vintage ice tools - what do I have?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I just got a free box of old ice tools. Does anyone know if these are worth anything? Left to right from what I've been able to gather...

1. Chouinard Northwall X
    2. Chouinard Zero
    3. REI Sumner
    4. Unknown Camp Interalp piolet
    5. Camp Hyper Couloir

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5805.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	285459

I don't think Yvon Chouinard has put his name on stuff for a while. Leastways not on icetools. The wooden handle one is especially attractive. I owned that blue one about 20 yrs. ago.
    Collectibles for someone, maybe post 'em up as wall pieces.

What do you have? Not too much.

Yeah the wood shaft piolets are valuable as wall hangers. I know a guy who still climbs with one each Summer. I think Chouinard stopped making climbing gear in the mid eighties. A friend of mine has one very similar to #4. It was made in Italy and is beautiful.

Every Jackson yard sale has a few ice axes for sale. It’s like getting a Texas Instruments calculator from a decades ago- pretty cool to play with, but modern technology has made sure it’s obsolete.

If they’re yours and you used them, they’re priceless.

Cocktail Trivia: Pretty sure Chouinard had to get out of the climbing business as someone didn’t put on a harness correctly and sued. That was the genesis of Black Diamond.

Edit for more info: the leather covers are pretty hard to find and if stamped with a logo can be valuable.

Name:  629d6e8b55d16e4a25b29c8c72f670c3--yvon-chouinard-mountains.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  18.0 KB
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

you have some old ice tools only valuable if you have history with them. If you are in Haines AK. stop in the gear shop there. They have a collection of old ice tools. Charlie Porter's homemade tools from the Moose's Tooth. Worth 20 minutes of your time on a down day.
    off your knees Louie

I would say you could get better info on Supertopo but... However, a lot of those guys are on MP now. Might be worth posting over there to ask.
    It sucks to suck.

The Chouinards and the hyper couloir aren't worth anything--they're technical ice tools that have been replaced by much better designs. The wood shafted Interalp looks like it's probably too long for mountaineering, and a ski pole or two would be more useful on lower angle snow. The REI looks like it would be a useful general mountaineering ax , might be worth a few bucks to someone. I've used a bamboo shafted 70cm Chouinard since the 70's. My son has a modern mountaineering ax but he wants the Chouinard. The design hasn't changed in that period of time.

I'm jealous of modern technical tools. I climbed vertical hard water ice with the Chouinard ax and a North Wall hammer but it wasn't easy. I saw a video of Chouinard climbing in Patagonia a few years ago with a couple of young guys Chouinard was still using Chouinard rigid strap on crampons. I forget the name of the movie--you all probably know it.

As far as whether the wood ax should be hung on the wall, I'd check with the Style and Leisure section of Skimag. Personally, I say no.

I left some space for rigid strap on jokes. ^^^^^

I don’t see a maul.

I recognise the blue handled axe, I used one to clean out the pine needles from between deck boards ...worked great
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Any Trotsky blood on the wooden handled pick?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I recognise the blue handled axe, I used one to clean out the pine needles from between deck boards ...worked great
    I used to defrost my freezer with a Chouinard ice hammr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Any Trotsky blood on the wooden handled pick?
    Nah, they just found that ice ax, it's been in the news.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...er-mexico-city

People pay non-zero money for Chouinard tools & branded stuff on eBay as collectible or memorabilia. I guess that's overlooked by the "I'm so core my neighborhood has garage sales where people give away valuable stuff" crowd.

I'm going to give my son my Chouinard axe for xmas, and a couple of modern ice tools. (He gave his girlfriend Quarks last xmas.) He's in Boston. OK to pack that stuff in my carryon?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm going to give my son my Chouinard axe for xmas, and a couple of modern ice tools. (He gave his girlfriend Quarks last xmas.) He's in Boston. OK to pack that stuff in my carryon?
    No. But send a note to @tsa just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

They already answered it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTA8l2h...d=rhkq2xvms06e

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Who puts a meat tenderizer in their luggage--carry on or otherwise?