Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    If we continue with this is should be it’s own thread, but to answer Danno...

To explain where this is coming from, I have multiple family members who are professional coaches (one happens to coach olympians and world champions), another who is a pro nutritionist, and I have run a bike team, played a sport semi pro, etc. I live in this world everyday.

With that background, my current opinion is that as a normal guy trying to be generally fit, what you want is a combination of short, high intensity exercise that pushes your max heart rate; easy exercise for an hour or two; and full body strength work. As an example, if each week you did one day each of those three things, and did them correctly, you would be pretty damn fit. You could do that in three hours per week.

Edit: I should specify - this would be for general life fitness and work well for almost everyone. However, if you are trying to train for a specific activity and do that at a very high level, you would want a different program. Someone mentioned House and Johnson, who are very focused on quite long endurance activity - that would have a tweaked program, but you'd still want some high intensity and some strength. On the other extreme, if you were training to be a sprinter, you'd push toward the other extreme, but you'd still want some slow and easy for recovery. However, the basic trio still holds as building blocks.

Happy to get into it further if folks are interested.
    Great, thanks, that makes sense and I aspire to do that. But instead it ends up being 1 day of mt biking, 2 if I'm lucky, and maybe one up/down trail "run" (run in quotes because I am not fit enough to run up the damn hill).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    and maybe one up/down trail "run" (run in quotes because I am not fit enough to run up the damn hill).
    Running uphill for extended periods is grossly inefficient. Even elite ultra runners usually don't run uphill (but they can walk uphill faster than most people can run).

Back on topic, someone broke into Allie Long's hotel room and stole her wedding ring, cash, and her key to NYC: https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wom...om-burglarized

Fucking savages.

Great, thanks, that makes sense and I aspire to do that. But instead it ends up being 1 day of mt biking, 2 if I'm lucky, and maybe one up/down trail "run" (run in quotes because I am not fit enough to run up the damn hill).
    Try to add some strength work to that schedule - only once in a while - and you'll be well on your way. Could be a gym, could be just some work with some resistance bands, could be body weight - just for 20 minutes is enough to make a difference. 2-3 times per month will be worth it.

In Boulder there's a place called Revo which knows their shit for sure. They have a pretty incredible youtube channel showing tons of exercises/therapies. Start with this one for lower body (it's focused on runners but good for cyclists too.) Then add a few crunches, some push ups, some pull ups, or just some upper body bandwork like lumberjacks, and you are in and out in 20 minutes. If you can get up to 30 hard minutes 1 time per week - even at home - it will change your body for sure. But even 3 times per month for 20 minutes will help a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brsCo7ampww

Also, first someone stole Daniel Sturridge's dog, now they took Allie Long's wedding ring and NYC key. WTF? I'd say Neymar's earrings are next...

Prob I had with “golf as fitness” - way too many drinking opportunities.
    My golf bag has a cooler
    There is a drink shack at the 4th and 14th hole
    And a clubhouse you pass twice
    And a cute girl in a cart driving around with more drinks.

I just didn’t have the stamina. Good thing I used to bike to the course

The ladies are celebrities now. They need to take safety precautions until the fever fades.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Right? Although it's no surprise that a thread about badass women accomplishing something big on a world stage has turned into men debating whether walking around a golf course or jerking off is better exercise.
    Is jerking off to Alex Morgan more or less exercise than one of booners beautys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1111.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	288329

They are pushing all the right buttons right now.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Right? Although it's no surprise that a thread about badass women accomplishing something big on a world stage has turned into men debating whether walking around a golf course or jerking off is better exercise.
    I think it's to be expected in a 16 page TGR Padded Room thread. Every thread that long has significant drift. No disrespect was meant to the baddass women.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Launching a new sport!

Cross country ski golfing, competitors will ski the first 9 holes with 70 lbs of golf bag on back while whacking little orange balls into holes. The last 9 holes they can dump the golf bag but spectators will be throwing lawn darts from the sides of the course while they are in play.
    Alpine Meadows has snow golf in the spring but unfortunately it's all downhill and you only get one club.

Walking uphill--on a mountain if one is handy, on a treadmill if it isn't--is excellent cardiovascular exercise. I had to quit running about 5-6 years ago because of my back. I kept riding a bike but it wasn't as good for my heart and lungs, probably because I didn't push it hard enough. Then my doc wanted me to get a stress test. I thought no way will walking on a treadmill get my heart rate up to 80% of max. A couple of degrees of incline and rapid walking and my HR got up there in about 5 minutes. Felt great. I've realized that long, all day hikes are great for endurance but a few miles steep and fast is a lot better for my wind. Also, if there are any fellow back sufferers around, walking uphill is a lot easier on the back then level and especially downhill. I can walk faster up than down these days.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Alpine Meadows has snow golf in the spring but unfortunately it's all downhill and you only get one club.

Walking uphill--on a mountain if one is handy, on a treadmill if it isn't--is excellent cardiovascular exercise.
    Wait, so there's treadmill golf? Do the drives fly farther or shorter on a treadmill?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Wait, so there's treadmill golf? Do the drives fly farther or shorter on a treadmill?
    The drives aren't the problem, the putts don't move at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Don’t be silly. They can’t fly at all

In her prime she was better than Lavelle. Now Heath, that chick's got some mad skilz..
    disagree. lavelle's game is very unique in that she has creativity and views the game differently and actually plays defense. the men's team desperately needs this type of player. she can score but her role is that of a playmaker. one of the reasons usa wasn't overly concerned about rapinoe being unavailable for the semi vs. england is press will actually track back against england's bronze who continually pushed forward. bronze would have made a much bigger impact if rapinoe played. that being said, rapinoe was absolutely clutch as making penalties isn't as easy as some seem to think. its far more mental than anything. regarding heath, she is very skillful but at times, dribbles without a purpose as shown in the final.

Even backcountry skiing is mostly just walking. If an 18 hole round of golf carrying a bag isn't exercise, not sure how one could characterize backcountry skiing as exercise.
    would agree walking 18 isn't nothing, but never climbed 3-4k' golfing, and most certainly never saw a backcountry skier drunk halfway through a tour. not an accurate comparison imo

Yeah, I know it's not entirely fair. Though I'd wager a large percentage of the drunk people on golf courses are in a cart or at least have a hand cart.

And if there were bars every 1000 vertical feet while out skiing, there'd be more drunk backcountry skiers.

And if there were bars every 1000 vertical feet while out skiing, there'd be more drunk backcountry skiers.
    Troof!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yeah, there'd be more drunk backcountry skiers.
    We always travel with medicine at hand.
    watch out for snakes

Yeah, I know it's not entirely fair. Though I'd wager a large percentage of the drunk people on golf courses are in a cart or at least have a hand cart.

That’s the dream!!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Look, if my dad, who is 72, would golf 3 times a week, and get in a couple sessions of some sort of resistance training, I'd be psyched. What he does is walk slowly 2-4 miles a day on flat roads. His doctor tells him how great it is. He is aging fast.

My mom is the same age. She also walks a lot, but with more hikes in the mountains. She also does pilates and yoga with lots of strength poses (or whatever they call it). My mom can still (and does) ski all day about 50-80 days a year. We still go on moderate ski tours together. She's not hard core. Never has been. But she takes care of herself.

The difference between them is stark. When I was young my father was by far the more physically capable and athletic. Now it is completely reversed. Before my parents were divorced they were what I call "ex-hippie recreational farmers" who raised sheep in addition to working day jobs. That farm work kept my dad strong and lean. Once that stopped it's been down hill ever since.
    Sometimes the difference in fitness and activity between various older people is due to motivation and hard work or the lack of it, but a lot of the time it's in the genes. People slow down because they don't work out, but they also stop working out because it gets too hard and/or painful. One thing that often happens is that someone gets hurt or gets sick--over 65 more or less recovery takes longer and longer and is often incomplete, no matter how hard someone works at it.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    If we continue with this is should be it’s own thread, but to answer Danno...

To explain where this is coming from, I have multiple family members who are professional coaches (one happens to coach olympians and world champions), another who is a pro nutritionist, and I have run a bike team, played a sport semi pro, etc. I live in this world everyday.

With that background, my current opinion is that as a normal guy trying to be generally fit, what you want is a combination of short, high intensity exercise that pushes your max heart rate; easy exercise for an hour or two; and full body strength work. As an example, if each week you did one day each of those three things, and did them correctly, you would be pretty damn fit. You could do that in three hours per week.

Edit: I should specify - this would be for general life fitness and work well for almost everyone. However, if you are trying to train for a specific activity and do that at a very high level, you would want a different program. Someone mentioned House and Johnson, who are very focused on quite long endurance activity - that would have a tweaked program, but you'd still want some high intensity and some strength. On the other extreme, if you were training to be a sprinter, you'd push toward the other extreme, but you'd still want some slow and easy for recovery. However, the basic trio still holds as building blocks.

Happy to get into it further if folks are interested.
    Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I agree that women national team base salary should be the same as men but pay as percent of WC tournament revenue is how the men and women are compensated for the tournament. An independent review of revenue, especially for US women, is certainly warranted as I suspect interest in the US women and value commercially exceeds the men.

On a related note:

"The R&A announced today that the prize fund for the upcoming AIG Women’s British Open will increase to US$4,500,000, an increase of almost 40% for 2019, in recognition of the importance of the Championship and women’s golf."
    As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

As far as I know FIFA doesn’t break up how much they make for men’s and women’s World Cup, so I’m not sure where you get those numbers.

Plus, breaking it out that way ignores the bigger issues with the pay gap: namely that most countries aren’t investing money into their women’s programs. The fact the places like Brazil and Argentina have women on their teams that are not full-time athletes tells you everything you need to know.

People who complain about the level of play or the talent disparity should be demanding more equal investment in players and coaches and training facilities.

Finally, the world wide numbers have nothing to do with the US, where the women’s World Cup outpaced ratings and jersey sales of the last men’s World Cup.

Interesting point about the fact that other nations probably aren't outspending the US with regard to WNT investment. Might not be as successful if more of the nations had full time women's programs instead of part timers. Guessing the big four or five in Europe do field full time pros though.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

i have never understood why people get upset at what entertainers make. athletes are not important or role models.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    As far as I know FIFA doesn’t break up how much they make for men’s and women’s World Cup, so I’m not sure where you get those numbers.
    FIFA doesn't pay the USWNT so it doesn't matter. US Soccer pays the USWNT and US Soccer has broken out the revenue numbers.

ggs just has the usual bullshit rightwing talking point.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    athletes are not important or role models.
    Riiiight. Have you ever talked to a kid who’s into sports? Ever?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

you mean have you talked to their parents? lol

no i haven't ever talked to a kid that is really into sports. mine are not and I don't talk to that many kids

your attitude is the whole problem. kids should be taught sports people aren't role models. i did

in my opinion sports have fucked up kids more than they have benefited kids

i have quietly asked around in my community does anyone know of a kid that got a scholarship for sports. the answer is almost universally no. the coaching I had in hockey was abysmal and I still hate baseball to this day from the twat coaches I had in little league