Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Rapinoe bothers me. Lavelle is a better player.

That's all.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    We were discussing sports
    Walking 18 holes is good exercise fwiw. Carts, drinking, and cigars turn it into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Rapinoe bothers me. Lavelle is a better player.

That's all.
    Rapinoe's one of the oldest, if not THE oldest player on the pitch. No question she's lost a step, especially with an injured hamstring. In her prime she was better than Lavelle. Now Heath, that chick's got some mad skilz..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

buttflake with the idiot hot take, how refreshingly new.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

i prefer fucktard hot take

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Rapinoe's one of the oldest, if not THE oldest player on the pitch. No question she's lost a step, especially with an injured hamstring. In her prime she was better than Lavelle. Now Heath, that chick's got some mad skilz..
    She has old (wo)man game. Maybe lost a step but still had the best tournament of any player.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Shut up spook, she’s not like-able. Just accept it.
    Lucky for the world, old irrelevant white dudes like you don't define what is like-able. People get to decide that on their own. And based on everyone around me -- she's like-able as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    She has old (wo)man game. Maybe lost a step but still had the best tournament of any player.
    I sure would like to win a golden boot and golden ball award after I've lost a step or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Walking 18 holes is good exercise fwiw.
    No. It isn't. Walking is only "good" exercise when you compare it to not walking.

I don't care much for soccer but I like Rapinoe. She talked big and backed it up in the biggest way possible. Respect.

Women’s World Cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    No. It isn't. Walking is only "good" exercise when you compare it to not walking.
    Not everyone is core as you:

It is estimated that an average-sized man can burn 1,442 calories by walking and carrying his clubs around an 18-hole course. This is considerably more than a 30-minute gym session, so if you're getting out on the golf course two or three times a week, you can expect to burn a high level of calories.

Women’s World Cup 2019

Back on topic:

According to a report from ESPN, the women’s team’s jersey is now outselling all other soccer jerseys from the two licensed suppliers, Nike and Fanatics. In the latest Nike earnings report, the company stated that the women’s 2019 home stadium jerseys are now the number one selling soccer jersey ever sold on Nike.com in one season. Meanwhile, Fanatics reports that the uniform is the top-selling U.S. men’s or women’s national team jersey of all-time

It is estimated that an average-sized man can burn 1,442 calories by walking and carrying his clubs around an 18-hole course. This is considerably more than a 30-minute gym session, so if you're getting out on the golf course two or three times a week, you can expect to burn a high level of calories.
    Probably a lot more on a hot, humid day like most around here. Definitely more work than disk golf.. especially if you're not very good and suck like me. Lots more walking hahahaha
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

See, I totally disagree with that. She capitalized on 3 PKs (great that she hit them, but you're SUPPOSED to hit them), one goal which Heath gifted her on a platter, a really lucky direct kick through traffic, and was good at taking her chances. However, in terms of overall play I'd say the American's best players, in terms of impact on the game, were Ertz, the entire back line (though Dunn struggled many times her incredible ability to recover and constant work ethic more than made up for it), Heath and Rose. Heath and Rose created chance after chance all tourney. As an example, Rapino's second against France was ALL Heath with one very nice Morgan pass in the middle. Heath collected right side of midfield, created space, moved Morgan where she wanted her, gave Morgan the ball and immediately demanded it back with an incredible break run between the left and left center backs, and then clipped it back past Mewis all the way to a completely unmarked Rapinoe on the far post, who just passed it home.

In fact, if you discount the first two games (which were against terrible competition) and just look at the last 5, the US scored 10 goals. Two against Sweden, including a Horan flick (off a Rapinoe corner) and a Tobin Heath piece of magic they somehow called an own-goal. Two against Spain, one created by Lavelle, one by Heath (Rapinoe scored both PKs.) France was the lucky direct kick and then the Heath gift. England was a beautiful dummy by Lavelle that sprung the play - crossed by Dunn headed in by Press. Second goal was a Horan service to Morgan. Netherlands was PK drawn by Morgan and then Lavelle with an incredible run.

Horan created 2, Morgan created 1. Heath and Rose each created 3. You could argue that Rapinoe maybe created 1 and take that away from Horan?

But add to that the fact that, in all but the last game, and often then as well, Rapinoe was just off - bad touches, bad choices for a player of that stature - she was far from the best player. Glad to have her, however.

Players of the team for the tourney, for me, were Lavelle, Heath and the centerbacks. Second tier was Ertz and O'Hara. And maybe Dunn. Then Rapinoe. Then Morgan and Mewis.

Sometimes you can have a bad tourney and still score goals. Soccer is funny like that. And I'm glad she hit the PKs for sure. Though that last one was not well hit - we got lucky there.

I mean, ask England how easy it is to convert three penalties. Sure you are supposed to make them, but actually doing it is another thing. That one yesterday seems like she just froze the goaltender and casually flicked it in.

She scored all of the goals for the US in two straight elimination games. Maybe she had easy or lucky chances or whatever, but she didn’t miss them.

Agree that Lavelle had a huge impact in the middle, Dunn had a monster of a match against France, Morgan drew tons of attention, etc, but that takes nothing away from Rapinoe IMO. They all did what they had to do to win as a team.

I think I agree with most of that. Seems to me that the assist(s) do not get the credit deserved in soccer as it does in hockey.

Rapinoe on PK's is money. She is the #1 for a reason. She froze that goalie so it didn't even have to be well hit.

Plugboots has got to be one of the dumbest motherfuckers in here, and that’s saying something. Calling me a misogynist because I don’t like one player on the team. Retard. I’m married to a female attorney, I’ve been calling for equal pay for 25 years, you fucking mouth-breather.
    Take a lap, chump.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I mean, ask England how easy it is to convert three penalties. Sure you are supposed to make them, but actually doing it is another thing. That one yesterday seems like she just froze the goaltender and casually flicked it in.

She scored all of the goals for the US in two straight elimination games. Maybe she had easy or lucky chances or whatever, but she didn’t miss them.
    I think that's fair. Scoring a goal in soccer is one of the harder "run of the mill, point of the game" things to do in all of sports. Doing it from the spot is far, far easier, but is still about a 75% chance. Not a given.

But she still scored them, plus another couple, in games that matter. A person who puts the ball in the net is extremely valuable. Just ask Sweden. Or Germany. Or France. Or England. Or Bayern. Or Man U. Ha.

I was just kinda upset that all the other players, some of whom were consistently incredible, got no credit, and Rapinoe, because she kicked the ball well/luckily 5 times, in considered the best player in the tourney. She wasn't close. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    I was just kinda upset that all the other players, some of whom were consistently incredible, got no credit, and Rapinoe, because she kicked the ball well/luckily 5 times, in considered the best player in the tourney. She wasn't close. Imo.
    Blame the media, they vote on the Golden Ball. Lavelle was 3rd in their voting - so she did get credit.

the goaltender
    The what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Sometimes you can have a bad tourney and still score goals. Soccer is funny like that. And I'm glad she hit the PKs for sure. Though that last one was not well hit - we got lucky there.
    No luck involved on that PK. When you sell out hard enough to the left to move the keeper out of the way you don't need a perfect shot, just a good shot to the right with enough margin so you don't miss despite your own positioning. She didn't freeze the keeper, she moved her.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The what?
    It’s well established I’m not a footballer. Just a run of the mill every four year fan.

It's too bad soccer doesn't give enough credit to assists. I watched a game where Messi didn't score but made the passes that set up both goals and the commentators said he had a bad game. But there I go, comparing soccer to hockey again.

Assists factor into the golden boot award. If two or more players have the same number of goals, the award goes to the player who has more assists. If it is still tied, the award goes to the player with the least playing time.

right, but the "walk" takes 3-5 hours and involves hitting a ball into a hole, stay at the gym for the same time or ride your bike the same amount of time and get back to me on calories burned.
    I'd convert all the golf courses in the world to sporting clays courses if i could
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

There’s a reason why there are corporate golf outings.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    right, but the "walk" takes 3-5 hours and involves hitting a ball into a hole, stay at the gym for the same time or ride your bike the same amount of time and get back to me on calories burned.
    That's moving the goalposts, 4matic never suggested that golfing was the best or most efficient form of exercise when considering calories over time. He merely pointed out that it is "good" exercise, and considering the wealth of scientific data on the benefits of walking, and the fact that walking an 18 hole course carrying a golf bag far outstrips the walking data used in those studies, it is fair to say it is good exercise.

It's not the best form of exercise if your goal is soccer performance, or weighlifting as much as possible, or sprinting as fast as you can, but generically speaking it is definitely good exercise.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy