Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    right, but the "walk" takes 3-5 hours and involves hitting a ball into a hole, stay at the gym for the same time or ride your bike the same amount of time and get back to me on calories burned.
    I'd convert all the golf courses in the world to sporting clays courses if i could
    I just said it was exercise. I didn’t compare it to anything.

Edit: Thanks Danno. I suspect the criticism is from people that have never walked a long 18. I swam in college and can assure people that walking golf is good exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I just said it was exercise. I didn’t compare it to anything.

Edit: Thanks Danno. I suspect the criticism is from people that have never walked a long 18. I swam in college and can assure people that walking golf is good exercise.
    I finally bought a push cart. Was hot and tired from carrying all those beers and ice.

I caddied once*. That was enough for me to know that while it's not an epic mountain bike ride, it's definitely exercise.

* Literally, only a single round of golf at the Merion Golf Club. Big hitter, the Lama.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's too bad soccer doesn't give enough credit to assists. I watched a game where Messi didn't score but made the passes that set up both goals and the commentators said he had a bad game. But there I go, comparing soccer to hockey again.
    Assists are why Rapinoe won the Golden Boot. It's 1) Goals 2) assists 3) minutes played.

English language soccer commentary available OTA in the US is more often than not garbage.

Women’s World Cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    right, but the "walk" takes 3-5 hours and involves hitting a ball into a hole, stay at the gym for the same time or ride your bike the same amount of time and get back to me on calories burned.
    A couple points on this for argument sake. I don’t find cycling particularly hard. I’ve done plenty of three and four hour rides and you aren’t really working on the downhills. If you walk you burn calories up and down. Also, swinging a golf club is a ballistic action and uses considerable energy. Why do you think the pros don’t really take full practice swings? That’s a mistake a lot of amateurs make.

With regard to the gym. What exactly are you taking about? Circuit training? Power lifting? Stair climber?

Golf course can have a lot of hills. You can suck a lot of wind climbing hills with a 20 pound bag.

Cycling doesn’t appear to be that much harder:

On average, a 180 lb. cyclist riding at a moderate effort level will burn approximately 650 calories per hour.

^U really need to distinguish between roadie and mtn and obviously mtn terrain varies greatly, so if this involves mtn its really a bad no win discussion.

When I used to play golf I got more tired playing a 4 1/2 hr round, carrying or pulling a bag, than I did hiking for the same amount of time. Starting and stopping, standing around waiting are all tiring. That said, I'm sure the hiking used more calories and did more for my aerobic fitness. The walking in golf is not long enough or strenuous enough to do anything for fitness. Except for the climb from 2nd green to 3rd tee at Squaw Creek

Golf=boredom which is exhausting.

USWNT is everywhere right now. TV shows, espy awards, parade. See how long they can keep up the momentum.
    There’s nobody that looks like young Jack Nicklaus or Craig Stadler in the Tour de France.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The USWNT is I think on the fourth day of a bender right now and it's amazing to watch. Glad NY got a ticker tape victory parade, too. They haven't had one for like a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    There’s nobody that looks like young Jack Nicklaus or Craig Stadler in the Tour de France.
    No, no they don't . Maybe at Auschwitz
    Chris Froome

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    No, no they don't . Maybe at Auschwitz
    Chris Froome

Holy shit. I can't say I'm surprised though. Those guys must have a tough time eating as many calories as they're burning, and of course you don't want to pedal any more weight up hill than you have to.

Name:  QWIQNK.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  55.6 KB
    watch out for snakes

Wtf how are they even related. Morans. I bet those same people clutch their pearls if you dare speak I'll of college football

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    stupid

More than stupid

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, that's one of the dumbest memes I've seen. Made by a triggered snowflake, I presume.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

When was the last time the US military won a war?

Oy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I didn't know watching and liking womens soccer precludes one from respecting those who serve.
    That post is beyond stupid, likely is spawned by russian bots and is feverishly liked and shared by republicans who feel dissed by Rapinoe.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

adding anything about russia actually made it stoopider. impressive.

Well, in fairness to recent events, Rapinoe hasn't been on trial for war crimes like some Navy Seals in the past two weeks. So yeah, maybe she is a national hero.

I'd also wager whomever made that meme has this framed and hung on their wall

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

hilarious

he·ro
    /ˈhirō/

noun
    a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
    "a war hero"
    synonyms: brave man, champion, man of courage, great man, man of the hour, conquering hero, victor, winner, conqueror, lionheart, warrior, paladin, knight, white hat; chevalier
    "his father was a war hero"
    star, idol, superstar, megastar, celebrity, celebutante, luminary, lion;
    ideal, ideal man, paragon, exemplar, shining example, perfect example;
    favorite, darling;
    knight in shining armor, knight on a white charger;
    beau idéal;
    informalceleb
    "a football hero"
    A football hero ?
    That ain't right
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Worst meme ever.

Regarding golf being "great exercise" I would agree if the alternative is sitting on your ass. It's like when doctors advise that walking is is just as good as running. It isn't. Not even close. Unless your only goal of exercising is to stave off heart disease. If that isn't your only goal, don't take fitness advice from your fucking doctor unless s/he is very fit. Also, don't take advice from anyone who thinks about exercise in terms of how many calories they imagine they have burned.

If you want to stay strong, fast and capable as you age, you need to utilize your strength, keep moving fast, and generally challenge your physical capabilities. Golf doesn't do any of that. This is a ski forum for fuck's sake. If you want to be skiing into your 80's, as I do, golf isn't even in the discussion when it comes to "great" exercise.

From Rapinoe's speech at the parade or something:

“This is my charge to everyone. We have to be better," she said. "We have to love more, hate less. We’ve got to listen more and talk less. We’ve got to know that this is everybody’s responsibility. Every single person here. Every single person who is not here. Every single person who doesn’t want to be here. Every single person who agrees and doesn’t agree, it’s our responsibility to make this world a better place. Also, Golf is not great exercise. C'mon people, get real. Maybe play soccer or something."