Colorado Springs

Considering a move here in the next year. Would be a ~3 yr stay for sure, maybe longer.

Last time I was in Colorado was 2006.

What should I know about where to live, cost, schools, etc?

I lived in CS 2008-2010 and was just back recently. It has improved a lot and is a good spot to be. Anywhere West of I25 is where I would live- closer to trails/ feels like your in the mountains.... don't go way out east; completely different world out there.

Be sure to watch “Homicide Hunter” so you know what you are getting into.

Serious question to the collective: how many Ogden's?

At least go to manitou.

Isn't Colorado Springs the ground zero for batshit crazy right wing evangelicalism?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Isn't Colorado Springs the ground zero for batshit crazy right wing evangelicalism?
    In Colorado it probably still is. That shit has settled *way* down since Focus on the Family imploded back in the aughts.

We were looking down there when my wife had a job offer out of school, that was 10 years ago. Luckily, that did not happen, but we were pretty set on Manitou or Old Colorado City if we had to go through with it. There's probably more pockets like those, but like someone else said, stay west. If you get up into the hills there's some good spots as well, but with a longer commute times.

I think Colorado Springs might just be the Ogden of Colorado.

Not sure since I haven't lived in Ogden, but from what I've heard.... sounds just about right.

The Springs is definitely the Ogden of Colorado. But just as Ogden has dramatically lowered its Ogden score over the last decade (or so I am told), the same is true of CSprings (or so I am told).

It is sprawling. Like really sprawling. Used to be wide open between it and Monument, and now houses stretch the whole way. I think the fundy Christian stuff is still there, but it's not as dominant as it used to be. Still, overall, it is a reliably conservative city politically, if that matters to you. Good trails from what I gather.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have a buddy (a skier, who now lives in Golden) who lived there for a few years recently and he liked it a lot. Said the evangelical scene was there for sure, but never felt oppressive. He moved for work, not to get out.

The broadmoor area is pretty sweet. If I ever have to move to the springs for work I better make enough to live and play golf there or I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s also a ways from any of the ski areas...closest would be Monarch and Breck.

The Springs...it ain't Denver. For better or for worse. In some ways it is a bit isolated, in some ways it is away from the crowds and closer to some awesome less busy places. You gots lots of military, lots of right wing conservative, lots of hispanics, lots of old school colorado types, lots of aging hippies, CC kids etc. I though people called that diversity and it was desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I though people called that diversity and it was desirable?
    People like diversity as long as they think just like them.

I can't comment on what CS is like now but I spent a summer there for an internship in 2001. The urban sprawl was pretty grotesque back then but it was probably just in its infancy compared to now. I liked it a lot though. I'd go running or climbing at Garden of the Gods before work and hiking/exploring on the weekends. If you like outdoor activities, there's an endless supply of options.

And in the plus column, they have a Rudy’s.

I was in CS once a few years ago and the one thing I recall is that I'd never seen so many people walking around pulling oxygen tanks before (well, Vegas may be close).

Lived there for a while, but moved out in '06. Still have a bunch of friends there though. As others have said, live in Manitou or Old Colorado City - easy access to trails, and easy to get out of town to the west on 24.

Everything west of I25 feels very different from the east side. Sure, there's all varieties of ultra-conservatives in the eastern and northern parts of the city. But the western areas almost seem like the counter-culture push back to that conservatism. For the few years that I lived in Old Colorado City, it was really easy to forget that focus on the family was 20 minutes away - those sort of attitudes hadn't really invaded the neighborhoods west of the highway.

Biggest downside of the City was proximity to skiing. We'd usually get in on a condo somewhere up in the mountain with other friends. Head up Friday night, come back Sunday afternoon after the traffic died down.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Head up Friday night, come back Sunday at 11pm after the traffic died down.
    Fixed for changes since 2006.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And don't go up Friday until *late* after the traffic dies down... so 11-ish.

I spent four months there thirteen years ago. Food is ok, bar scene was less than stellar. Most of the time, we just drove to Denver and got a hotel. It felt significantly colder than Denver. My biggest gripe was the A-Basin haul, and watching patrol ski the East Wall all year but never open it till I left. There's a ton of backcountry closer, but people were very tight-lipped about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    heh. noted. Can't say I miss that about CO.

Thanks for the info. This option seems better for outdoor recreation than some of the alternatives like SoCal which is really not our scene. Not stoked on endless sprawl, but that is everywhere it seems.