Rusutsu or Furano?

If you were doing a once-in-a-lifetime ski trip to Japan, which of these two would you pick? My friends are planning it and I'm tagging along, they have narrowed it to these two. January for 10~ days

Priorities:
    -great powder, both at the resort and backcountry (all experienced backcountry skiers)
    -great terrain (black & double black steepness; "extreme" not necessary)
    -fewer crowds
    -local cultural experiences

Not priorities:
    -wild nightlife- drinks, dinner, a game of cards and we're done

Thanks-

"great terrain (black & double black steepness; "extreme" not necessary"

You know both of those choices are on Hokkaido, right? Not much North American style Black or Double Black terrain to be found except in short shots followed by long run outs.

Still fun, but snow>terrain.

Never been to Furano but had a great time at Rusutsu. Getting more touristy and the hotel/amusement park are wild. Terrain was better than Kiroro.

Having been to both I’d split your time between them. If you want bc hire a guide op to show you the goods to take out the guesswork.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did Rusutsu and Niseko a year ago.

Rusutsu has long groomer skiing and short tree shots between the groomers. Best spaced trees I have ever skied. However, it’s probably only worth a day or so. Niseko has more variety, steeper, more snow, more interesting terrain, backcountry access, better amenities, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

stay in Niseko and do a day trip to Rusutsu

if you are just doing resorts you could do the whole trip with buses
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^^^ this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82C00BB0-7CE7-4529-BF30-3C1B9A931405.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	655.0 KB 
ID:	285211Yep, no steep terrain on Hokkaido

If you are into hiking and exploring head up to Furano area. The ski area is on the smaller side but you are close to Asahidake and Takashidake, both have great touring.

Furano is a smallish town with food, drinks and onsen so its a perfect place to post up. The weather and snow can vary between the Niseko and Furano regions so monitor that and make the final choice when timing gets closer....or do both.

I get not wanting to travel around a lot after arriving, but would think 10 days might get boring at just one place. Unless you are really into skiing the same few slopes or are planning to get a long way from the lifts(lots of flat in deep snow). I did really like Rusutsu and Furano, so suggest 5 days at both. Or if you are just wanting to stay in the same hotel for the full trip, like others said base out of Niseko. I didn't get to do it when I was there, but a tour up Yotei Zan looks awesome. Niseko does have a lot of loud Australians, but lots of good food. I recall an awesome onsen on the way back to Niseko from Rusutsu.

I'm not expert on the area and I never got around to adding to the trip report, but this covers most of what I have checked out.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...me-Japan-Style
    Last edited by 406; 06-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.

If only you knew someone who was an avid skier and lives in Japan...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy