Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Frank Meza...marathon runner.

I don't know if any of you have heard this story (or care), but I find it fascinating. Frank Meza ran a world age group record marathon time of 2:53:10 at the LA Marathon....but: it didn't count b/c the course isn't certified.

BUT, as it turns out, he cheated and, it appears, he didn't run (hardly) any of it. So, folks at Letsrun (who are overzealous (generously) in their own right) started looking at Frank's other times and, it turns out, he has a long record of near record breaking runs and sub 3hr marathons....only he didn't run those either. He also done well in, at least, one triathlon...but it appears he cheated at that too.

There have been running cheats in the past (google Kip Litton and Mike Rossi), but none have gone to the crazy lengths Frank has. He even puts Rosie Ruiz down a notch on the pantheon of cheaters.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_r...thread=9307635

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...marathons.html

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...on-result.html

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...e-cutting.html

Like I wrote above, I just find the story to be a giant rabbit hole of amazingness.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Your thread title is incorrect. Frank Meza is not a marathon runner, it seems.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It boggles the mind how these people pursue accomplishments that actually aren't accomplishments.

Uncle Leo defense might work. "I'm an old man, I'm confused."

Marathon cheating is definitely weird as fuck.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I loved that story when it came out. Especially the pic of her on the podium looking all super size next to actual athletes.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Rosie Ruiz, the queen of marathon cheaters. She did the NYC marathon by subway to qualify for the Boston. No way she could make it in time by subway today.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It boggles the mind how these people pursue accomplishments that actually aren't accomplishments.
    But ironically become accomplishments nonetheless...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Should have learnt himself to swim instead.
    watch out for snakes

Apparently not nearly as good at cheating death..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Apparently not nearly as good at cheating death..
    Well, 10:1 this was suicide, which is pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, 10:1 this was suicide, which is pretty sad.
    Sad that he had to cheat inorder to satisfy his sense of self worth? Sad that he couldn't live with the shame of finally being caught cheating? Or, sad that he was obviously mentally ill due to the behavior that caused all this? How did he pay for all these escapades? Did he have sponsors?

Amazing on the letsrun site so many people blaming social media and the guy who pushed for investigating him rather than the cheater himself because he committed suicide (assuming) and so so much good work in the community .

I am sure those same people would disagree if you used the same set of rules to let Lance Armstrong off the hook because he "might have" committed suicide, or because he raised so much money and awareness in his LIVESTRONG movement.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I don't know if any of you have heard this story (or care), but I find it fascinating. Frank Meza ran a world age group record marathon time of 2:53:10 at the LA Marathon....but: it didn't count b/c the course isn't certified.

BUT, as it turns out, he cheated and, it appears, he didn't run (hardly) any of it. So, folks at Letsrun (who are overzealous (generously) in their own right) started looking at Frank's other times and, it turns out, he has a long record of near record breaking runs and sub 3hr marathons....only he didn't run those either. He also done well in, at least, one triathlon...but it appears he cheated at that too.

There have been running cheats in the past (google Kip Litton and Mike Rossi), but none have gone to the crazy lengths Frank has. He even puts Rosie Ruiz down a notch on the pantheon of cheaters.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_r...thread=9307635

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...marathons.html

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...on-result.html

https://www.marathoninvestigation.co...e-cutting.html

Like I wrote above, I just find the story to be a giant rabbit hole of amazingness.
    A wormhole indeed, thanks for the links, especially the link to the letsrun forum pages.

One thing I'll point out (that taxman touched upon) is that Mezza and Miller (the Canuck triathlete) and certainly Ruiz don't particularly look like runners or even look all that fit.

Is it me, or does it seem like there is more and more of this thing or is it that there is a motivated community to catch and expose these people?

Bizarre stuff.

I forget who the comedian was that did a segment about wanting to just show up at The Olympics and demand that they allow him to run in the marathon... It was back in the Wide World of Sports days and he said if they tried to tell him no he'd push back with "Why not??.. You let that dude ski"..

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Amazing on the letsrun site so many people blaming social media and the guy who pushed for investigating him rather than the cheater himself because he committed suicide (assuming) and so so much good work in the community .

I am sure those same people would disagree if you used the same set of rules to let Lance Armstrong off the hook because he "might have" committed suicide, or because he raised so much money and awareness in his LIVESTRONG movement.
    most people that are sanguine about lance feel that during his time they all cheated

What was he running from?

Or towards?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    What was he running from?

Or towards?
    running from himself ...

or towards this ,,,,

Name:  bill-murray-billmurray-social-media-is-training-us-to-compare-30950100.png
Views: 557
Size:  52.1 KB

Buddy was probably still a really fast runner and great athlete but he couldn't just settle for exceptional he had to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Sad that he had to cheat inorder to satisfy his sense of self worth? Sad that he couldn't live with the shame of finally being caught cheating? Or, sad that he was obviously mentally ill due to the behavior that caused all this?
    Yes? Also sad for his wife, sad for his kids, sad for his grandkids, and sad for his friends. The guy cheated at marathons, which while unethical and ill-conceived, is hardly a capital offense. Despite these transgressions it seems like he was still an overall decent person who had a lot of people who loved him. If he really killed himself over this, yeah, I find that pretty fucking sad.

He actually wasn't fast at all. If you read the running forums and marathon investigates, they show that he was pretty slow. He had a pretty effective bike relay system apparently. If had been less effective would this have come out earlier and the story/shame been less.

The Canadian triathlete, on the other hand, was already an elite athlete.

It's crazy that you're more likely to get caught cheating in racing than in banking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yes? Also sad for his wife, sad for his kids, sad for his grandkids, and sad for his friends. The guy cheated at marathons, which while unethical and ill-conceived, is hardly a capital offense. Despite these transgressions it seems like he was still an overall decent person who had a lot of people who loved him. If he really killed himself over this, yeah, I find that pretty fucking sad.
    +1 million

Quote Originally Posted by tbssux View Post
    He actually wasn't fast at all. If you read the running forums and marathon investigates, they show that he was pretty slow. He had a pretty effective bike relay system apparently. If had been less effective would this have come out earlier and the story/shame been less.

The Canadian triathlete, on the other hand, was already an elite athlete.

It's crazy that you're more likely to get caught cheating in racing than in banking.
    Was she though?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca