Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGk2g_B...on_share_sheet

another good video from Ian McIntosh
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-23-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

i thot it was pretty obvious buddy started with the guage at zero & the switch slid with only .005 pressure on the lock button

but I'm Canadian and we are oblivious to the conspiracy theories flying around their heads like the green bats in a Hunter S Thompson essay
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i thot it was pretty obvious buddy started with the guage at zero & the switch slid with only .005 pressure on the lock button

but I'm Canadian and we are oblivious to the conspiracy theories flying around their heads like the green bats in a Hunter S Thompson essay
    Well, he could have started zero at any pressure point prior to the measurement. The instrument is just measuring distance, not applied pressure. But someone this detail oriented with access to that type of instrument is probably aware of the importance of starting at zero pressure on the switch (unless knowingly fudging on purpose for some reason).

Buddy said at the beginning he had the guage zero'd and then he moved the guage .005

but you are probably right the BD rep stole his girlfriend
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Well, he could have started zero at any pressure point prior to the measurement. The instrument is just measuring distance, not applied pressure. But someone this detail oriented with access to that type of instrument is probably aware of the importance of starting at zero pressure on the switch (unless knowingly fudging on purpose for some reason).
    It would have been better to use both the height gauge and a dial indicator since the height gauge was the tool actually moving the switch down. Again all signs point to this being a problem, but the experiment as it was shown was not rigorous. If I still had mine I would do a test, but BD warrantied mine of that vintage last year and replaced them with the new versions.

But someone this detail oriented with access to that type of instrument is probably aware of the importance of starting at zero pressure on the switch (unless knowingly fudging on purpose for some reason).
    I'm not saying they are fudging on purpose. But I could see playing with the gauge and the button, finding this point, then recording how little actuation it takes while missing the first bit of travel. And of course 5 mil with no force is very different from 5 mil with 20 lbs required.

I played with mine last night and there seems to be a two step feel to the lock button. I can feel a little catch, then it takes almost effort to get the lock disengaged. It felt like it was there 80-90% of the time. I haven't seen any issues with my beacon in 200+ days of use but it is concerning. I'm gonna play with it more, watch these threads, and decide what to do about a new beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    It would have been better to use both the height gauge and a dial indicator since the height gauge was the tool actually moving the switch down. Again all signs point to this being a problem, but the experiment as it was shown was not rigorous. If I still had mine I would do a test, but BD warrantied mine of that vintage last year and replaced them with the new versions.
    None of that would have demonstrated pressure before the distance measurement, unless I am missing something. But I agree they should have somehow demonstrated zero pressure on the switch prior to measuring.

None of that would have demonstrated pressure before the distance measurement, unless I am missing something. But I agree they should have somehow demonstrated zero pressure on the switch prior to measuring.
    If they recorded video of the setup could zero the dial indicator, then setup the height gauge and zero wherever they want. I really think they are measuring the wrong value here.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm not saying they are fudging on purpose. But I could see playing with the gauge and the button, finding this point, then recording how little actuation it takes while missing the first bit of travel. And of course 5 mil with no force is very different from 5 mil with 20 lbs required.

I played with mine last night and there seems to be a two step feel to the lock button. I can feel a little catch, then it takes almost effort to get the lock disengaged. It felt like it was there 80-90% of the time. I haven't seen any issues with my beacon in 200+ days of use but it is concerning. I'm gonna play with it more, watch these threads, and decide what to do about a new beacon.
    I was very surprised how little pressure was required to move the switch once I got to actually handle the beacon. That was enough to tell my ex not to use it except for practice. I understand others may view it as acceptable to use and that's their call. My older version with the gray switch definitely requires more force on the switch to move the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    I really think they are measuring the wrong value here.
    I don't disagree with that.

my .02¢ is that everyone with the old style switch oughta get a new unit, whether that is a full replacement or a discount on a new one

I’m happy with the new style. I trust it.

I was very surprised how little pressure was required to move the switch once I got to actually handle the beacon. That was enough to tell my ex not to use it except for practice. I understand others may view it as acceptable to use and that's their call. My older version with the gray switch definitely requires more force on the switch to move the slider.
    I'm starting to lean towards that as I marinate on it today.

How decide about getting a credit (and having that as a cost to bd/pieps) or keeping it for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm starting to lean towards that as I marinate on it today.

How decide about getting a credit (and having that as a cost to bd/pieps) or keeping it for practice.
    I emailed to see if would be possible to have them return the beacon after inspecting, but I would be doubtful if that's an option. Where we finally came down was if they won't return the beacon after inspection (which I would understand) going to just keep it for a practice beacon and look at available options for a new one.

Edit to add response from BD:
    Users with Beacons purchased over two years ago are eligible to buy-up to another beacon model at the below rates:

Pieps Powder BT: $100.00 USD

Pieps Micro BT or Micro Sensor: $125.00 USD

Pieps Pro BT: $150.00 USD

Should you choose to send your beacon in and upgrade we will not be returning the DSP.

Regards,

Black Diamond Service Center

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I’m happy with the new style. I trust it.
    That is good to know. We aren't necessarily ruling out the new style even if keeping the old beacon for practice.

I emailed to see if would be possible to have them return the beacon after inspecting, but I would be doubtful if that's an option. Where we finally came down was if they won't return the beacon after inspection (which I would understand) going to just keep it for a practice beacon and look at available options for a new one.

Edit to add response from BD:
    Users with Beacons purchased over two years ago are eligible to buy-up to another beacon model at the below rates:

Pieps Powder BT: $100.00 USD

Pieps Micro BT or Micro Sensor: $125.00 USD

Pieps Pro BT: $150.00 USD

Should you choose to send your beacon in and upgrade we will not be returning the DSP.

Regards,

Black Diamond Service Center
    That doesn't feel very generous. 2 years is not a long time. I don't feel like BD is doing right by their customers with that pricing

two years was standard warranty

Mine is out of warranty. But IMO, warranty length should not apply with a product defect, which is what this is; if it wasn't, why are they replacing them for free for those who purchased less than 2 years ago? Not psyched at all to have to spend $100 to replace a product that was defective from the beginning.

FWIW, I don't even use mine very often, been less than 10 days a year, some years less than 5. My switch isn't worn at all, it's really solid and the bar doesn't move up or down when it is in the locked position, even with a lot of force. HOWEVER, when the beacon is in the harness (regardless of screen out or in), very moderate pressure to the center of the beacon harness "breaks" the lock (ie pushes the button down enough), and the slider bar easily changes position without warning. That's pretty much the definition of a product defect and not a warranty issue. I want to not give them another cent of my money for how they are handling this, but it looks like I am going to be compelled to give them $100 so that I have a beacon that isn't defective.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

maybe you need a good lawyer

I can't afford one.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think $150 to replace my recently out of extended warranty DSP Pro (bought 5.5 years ago) is pretty reasonable. My beacon is old enough that is nearing replacement time anyway. If I had 2.0000001 year old beacon and they wanted me to pay I'd be pissed.

On the other hand, should any of the things be in use? Probably not. I just want to go skiing and not die in a avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Mammut Barryvox $228, free shipping.
    https://varuste.net/en/p77029/mammut...nge_country=US
    I saw that earlier today but wasn't familiar with the company and if shipping to U.S. would be a pita. Have you ordered from them before? Anyone else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I saw that earlier today but wasn't familiar with the company and if shipping to U.S. would be a pita. Have you ordered from them before? Anyone else?
    I haven’t ordered from them, but the website stated no charge shipping to the US. I’d rely on my credit card company to keep it all skookum. I’ve ordered a couple things from other euro companies and it’s always gone well. OTOH, domestic orders shipped USPS have been pretty fucked up lately.

Yeah, with covid who knows. That's a great price though, and by all accounts a really good choice for a new beacon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

^ I went with the Barryvox when my DSP Sport got warrenteed (for a bad screen) and I like it a lot. It might be the current safest brand.