Shortening Royal Shaft carbon/composite poles

I picked up two brand new pairs of Royal Shaft poles at a thrift shop, and will need to shorten them. I've shortened poles before by removing the grip and hacksawing to a suitable length -- same process on these?

Level Nine has this info on their poles:
    https://www.levelninesports.com/lear...haft-ski-poles

-- which says that "premium carbon poles can easily be trimmed at the tip for custom fit." I don't know if the ones I got are the "premium carbon" or the "composite" -- anyone know how to tell? And if these poles are shortened at the tip, rather than at the grip end, how do you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Never heard of shortening at the tip end. I've shortened plenty at the grip end using your method. On composite/carbon poles you should wrap the pole in masking tape and cut it with a fine hacksaw then deburr/chamfer with some sandpaper.

try to remove grip and shorten that way. if that fails, contact royal shaft

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    try to remove grip and shorten that way. if that fails, contact royal shaft
    I'm pretty sure Royal Shaft is out of business. Website is down. Google searches show some people searching for replacement baskets and stating that Goode tips + baskets fit them.

I'll try the typical method of removing the grips and see what happens.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When you saw through the carbon, don't go straight through like you would metal. Make sure you cut in from all around the poll at the start or finish. You may also want to wrap it in a little duct tape. This will prevent stands or chips from coming off. This can happen really easily on some composite polls.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Never heard of shortening at the tip end. I've shortened plenty at the grip end using your method. On composite/carbon poles you should wrap the pole in masking tape and cut it with a fine hacksaw then deburr/chamfer with some sandpaper.
    When I cut Goode carbon poles, I use Spyderjon's ideas. His tape method should prevent your fingers from getting annoying little fiber splinters, and prevent any possible splitting in the pole material. To chamfer, I just scrape the pole edge on pavement/sidewalk---prevents splitting of pole material and reinserts more easily into the grip.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

also use the finest tooth per inch hack saw you can find
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I used to cut carbon arrow shafts using the tape method mentioned above and a dremel or pneumatic cut-off tool. Lots of info online for bow hunters doing that, which may be useful for your purposes as well.

Never used a hacksaw but don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work as long as you took your time and let the saw do the work.

Thanks everyone -

I've trimmed carbon poles before -- using some painter's tape and a fine tooth hacksaw, and cut on the taped portion. Works fine. I have a dremel too, but haven't used that on carbon.

Not super concerned about protecting the cut edge after it has been trimmed, because it'll be inside a grip.

Tape then pipe cutter?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Tape then pipe cutter?
    This was my method for cutting some Goode carbon poles. Worked great.

I don't have a pipe cutter. I'll just go with tape + hacksaw like other poles I've trimmed down.

For future reference for anyone else who picks up some of these poles, the grips pull off the shaft like any other pole. The screw in the top of the grip is only holding in the strap - no need to remove it before pulling off the grip. I pulled off a grip this morning; now just need to measure, tape, and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Tape then pipe cutter?
    do not use a pipe cutter on carbon poles
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I hacksawed off the excess length - worked fine. Also for future reference in this thread: I think the poles I got are the "composite" not the full carbon. When I removed the grips, the pole is a hollow cylinder, white material. They cut very easily and the cuttings were powdery.

Congrats! Sounds like you are now Royally Shafted!