Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Don’t be such a fucking moran, what you think isn’t reality. No, Hispanic New Mexicans don’t want to be called Mexicans. They came from Spain originally, and New Mexico was only part of the Mexican nation for 27 years. From 1598 to 1821 they were Spanish, and after 1848 they were part of the US. So, ain’t too many of them “born in Mexico.”
    I think we should start calling people from Texas "Mexicans", because they're from Mexico, too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The proper lexicon is Texicans.

Not to be cornfused with. ARkanasains.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think we should start calling people from Texas "Mexicans", because they're from Mexico, too.
    If only we could have given Tejas back to Mexico before the 2000 election. And forced them to keep certain residents.

Yes, having crunchy shredded chicken tacos tonight, with flour as an option. With 8-9 ingredients one can make dozens of delicious entrees

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Besides ive heard vermonters claim the food near them was great. I go eat it based on that recco, and it is usually nearly inedible. I guess its the "best" food compared to all the other crap. When you dont really know what "good" is, you have no level set.
    As a classically trained chef who has worked at some of the most reputable places in north central Vermont, I agree. We don't go out much. That said, over the course of my employment at All Souls I produced ball park of 25 tons of masa. I watched them roll out of the oven, and when you get it right, they are puffed out like pillows. Stone ground, hand fed. Pretty legit for something you can buy in a store. Sam, on e of the owners born and raised in Pheonix, Az. Joe is a farmer. They know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    can’t wait to inform my wife, born in Gallup, she’s part Mexican.
    Which part?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    As a classically trained chef who has worked at some of the most reputable places in north central Vermont, I agree. We don't go out much. That said, over the course of my employment at All Souls I produced ball park of 25 tons of masa. I watched them roll out of the oven, and when you get it right, they are puffed out like pillows. Stone ground, hand fed. Pretty legit for something you can buy in a store. Sam, on e of the owners born and raised in Pheonix, Az. Joe is a farmer. They know what's up.
    when im in the area next im stopping based on this recco...lets hope im wrong about my theory.

Those Ula tortillas are made by stinky hippie gringos, and they're amazing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

New Mexicans are not Mexicans (they consider themselves Spanish) and along with a ton of Central Americans they all say “estás equivocado, gringo racista”
    so wait you're telling me they dont want to be called mexicans? They come from Mexico. I get they speak spanish, but ill bet Spaniards would take offense to that claim. They can say whatever they want to "generalize" where they are from, but if you were born in Mexico you're mexican, born in Guatemala, you're a Guatemalan. so on down the chain. I work with spanish, Ecuadorian, Mexican, cuban, puerto rican, etc..none of them generalize themselves as "spanish". In fact ive never heard that once. Sounds like some liberal bullshit to me actually.
    when im in the area next im stopping based on this recco...lets hope im wrong about my theory.
    Your theory, which is yours, is your theory.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Less than 24 hrs for my taco thread to devolve into an argument about racism.

Fuck you.

This is about Tacos.

Tonight I'm using leftover pulled pork in hard shells with pico, a little habanero salsa, lime and cheese.

Yup, that's tacos 2 days in a row. It's Tuesday motherfuckers.

Let's focus here...

Also, thanks for all the taco inspired posts. Will definitely try making my own corn tortillas for the first time soon!

^^YUM

Don’t be such a fucking moran, what you think isn’t reality. No, Hispanic New Mexicans don’t want to be called Mexicans. They came from Spain originally, and New Mexico was only part of the Mexican nation for 27 years. From 1598 to 1821 they were Spanish, and after 1848 they were part of the US. So, ain’t too many of them “born in Mexico.”

I strongly recommend you come to New Mexico, find some local Hispanics and call them Mexican, and see how that goes for you. They’re not so liberal. Don’t forget to let me know so that I can be there. Oh, and give the non-Mexican tortillas a try after you pick your sorry ass up off the ground, gringo racista.

Edit: what zzz said.

More edit:
    Seriously, take my advice about not being a moran, if it’s at all possible.
    I understand it cuz I know that Canadians don't wana be called North Americans eh ?

no tortilla's up here just poutine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Geeze, go off line for a few hours and come back to a trainwreck of ignorance

SkiDog, I'm guessing you aren't a pendejo racist IRL, just ignorant about New Mexico. There's an incredibly rich culture there dating back 1000 years, and towns like Santa Fe & Taos were major trading centers while the Jamestown colony was hanging on to survival by a thread

Here's a book you may find interesting
    Name:  51HAR5GYA4L._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  25.6 KB
    https://www.amazon.com/Enchantment-E.../dp/0826308201

Then take a trip to the Sangres to experience the place for yourself. Follow Meadow Skipper's advice - go to Petaca or Trujas, pick out someone with brown skin and ask to see their immigration papers. After they kick your ass and tell you their ancestors were deeded land by the King of Spain, explain to them why they couldn't possibly make a decent tortilla. Report back with photos & video.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    It's Tuesday motherfuckers.

Let's focus here...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Also, thanks for all the taco inspired posts. Will definitely try making my own corn tortillas for the first time soon!
    definitely use a press. they are cheap online, or pretty easy to make if you've minimal woodworking skills & equipment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after smoking.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	793.1 KB 
ID:	284728

Name:	tacos.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	687.9 KB 
ID:	284727

tacos de lengua de búfalo ahumado
    And yes, I had to use flour tortillas for first go-round because by the time the tongue was smoked I realized the corn tortillas were dried out and stores w/in 20 miles were closed

Beef tongued tacos

Well played

Even with the stale flour tortillas.
    watch out for snakes

There is nothing wrong with good flour tortillas.

You just CANNOT make a taco with them.

NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Beef tongued tacos

Well played

Even with the stale flour tortillas.
    Not beef. Buffalo, from Stangel Bison Ranch, Enterprise OR
    https://stangelbisonranch.com/who-we-are

And skaredshtles things are tough here in the West. We make do with what we can find

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

NTTAWWT.
    well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Here's a book you may find interesting
    Name:  51HAR5GYA4L._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  25.6 KB
    https://www.amazon.com/Enchantment-E.../dp/0826308201
    That is such a great book to help understand norteño culture. I read it when I first got to NM and I buy copies for legal immigrants all the time.

Here in Santa Fe, the best (soft corn) tacos, imo, are at the Taco Fundación on N Guadalupe.

Name:	4065D524-6E8E-41A8-A131-CFE0B6727C1C.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	284731

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Not beef. Buffalo, from Stangel Bison Ranch, Enterprise OR
    https://stangelbisonranch.com/who-we-are

And skaredshtles things are tough here in the West. We make do with what we can find
    What you made looks delicious.

But it is not a taco.

There is *nothing* wrong with that. At all.

Credit where credit is due:

I Ski Bandini Mountain said it early on: "A taco made with a flour tortilla is just an open face burrito."

He's right, and there's nothing wrong with an open face burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

NTTAWWT.
    Fuuuuuuck yuuuuuuuuuu.