Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Who doesn’t love hard tacos? One bite and a small avalanche starts into your hand, just a warning on what’s to come. A few bites later and the whole shell cracks and you are in triage mode trying to finish your bite hunched over your plate while trying not to spill everything.... as random bits and all the hot sauce pools into your palm. Make sure it’s homemade though, otherwise it’s just not the same

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Who doesn’t love hard tacos? One bite and a small avalanche starts into your hand, just a warning on what’s to come. A few bites later and the whole shell cracks and you are in triage mode trying to finish your bite hunched over your plate while trying not to spill everything.... as random bits and all the hot sauce pools into your palm. Make sure it’s homemade though, otherwise it’s just not the same
    Reminds me of this girl I knew..

Onion, tomato, cilantro and lime.

The building block for a good taco.

This is a trick question.

Tacos. Yes.

For land animals: white corn, pan fried to a nice light golden color in the cast iron pan. Still flexible and won't shatter. Dust with Cotija on both sides, fill, eat quickly while hot.

For seafood I use small flour tortillas to absorb the butter, sauce and creama. Seafood is too wet for corn tortillas imho.

That said, flour tortillas are inheriantly Mexican and good handmade ones are absolutely amazing. So fuck the haters, corn is no more or less authentic; it's akin to northern vs. southern Italian food. Specifically the flour tortilla comes from the Northern borderlands where wheat grows better than the corn in the south. NPR/Splendid table had this interview last year.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/...stavo-arellano
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I eat both hard and soft tacos, corn and flour. Most of the time when I make tacos at home, though, it’s ground beef and I use hard tacos, but I fill the shells with the meat and cheese and then put them in the oven for awhile. That softens up the shell some, Add a little green salsa, pico, and shredded lettuce, and maybe a little sour cream and I’m set.

Soft. I make my own, using a press. Homemade corn tortillas are way better than store-bought. I follow the recipe on the masa package, & add a little lime & chili powder to the mix. They don't keep well, so I only make as many as I am going to eat at one time, but I can whip them up in just a few minutes, start-to-finish. Yum!

both

hard inside

soft outside
    watch out for snakes

^^^ next level right there.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    both

hard inside

soft outside
    Name:  Double_Decker_Taco.jpeg
Views: 308
Size:  20.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Name:  Double_Decker_Taco.jpeg
Views: 308
Size:  20.9 KB
    That's drunk food.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Peruvians, in general, don’t eat tacos unless they are in Mexico or the US.
    I can add one data point to this theory.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    That’s confusing - a burrito also known as a taco...

This https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/11-...deshow/slide-2
    Sez it was invented in California in 1930s
    But they are likely referring to the huge ones we see nowadays.

Regardless, the epistemology of tacos, burritos, flautas and enchiladas is messy, but yummy.
    Right, “mission style” burritos are the two handed version.

I eat both corn and flour tortillas. Haven’t started making my own dough yet, but I buy uncooked tortillas in bulk from Costco and cook them up as needed. I can never go back to pre cooked ones from the store.

Gotta go with the soft corn. I house a couple dozen of these a week. Made a few miles from my house, and freakin' delicious.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Name:  8BF3FA6B-8E6D-46BD-92C5-95BE140B1279.gif
Views: 348
Size:  677.8 KB

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I can add one data point to this theory.
    You mean there isn’t a Taco Bell in Londonderry yet?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    What’s with the double tortilla on a taco? Have only seen it done with soft corn tortillas, just not sure the reason

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    most meats/toppings will break right through 1 corn soft tortilla in my experience.

I personally like any taco. Hard shell, soft shell, flour, corn. Just get the taco in my belly.

Whomever is dissing flour tortillas has not had a piping hot fresh one. They have their time and place. So do corn tortillas. These days I am on a diet and I use Romaine lettuce leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    most meats/toppings will break right through 1 corn soft tortilla in my experience.

I personally like any taco. Hard shell, soft shell, flour, corn. Just get the taco in my belly.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Whomever is dissing flour tortillas has not had a piping hot fresh one.
    And this

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You mean there isn’t a Taco Bell in Londonderry yet?
    As unusual as it sounds to say out loud, Londonderry is within the US (or at least Mexico).

In Vermont, All Souls make a legit, small batch, FRESH corn tortilla with heirloom, nixtamalized and regionally sourced corn. Masa is water, and corn cooked with wood ash or lye. Put whatever you want in it, but I ground and produced tortilla for them for a couple years, and there is nothing close to a fresh wrap of a good corn. They make a white, but the Wapsi is the shit. The magic only happens during production if the grind is perfect, and that starts with a good cook. As with any cooking of such a simple product, ingredients and technique make it or break it.
    https://www.allsoulsvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    In Vermont, All Souls make a legit, small batch, FRESH corn tortilla with heirloom, nixtamalized and regionally sourced corn. Masa is water, and corn cooked with wood ash or lye. Put whatever you want in it, but I ground and produced tortilla for them for a couple years, and there is nothing close to a fresh wrap of a good corn. They make a white, but the Wapsi is the shit. The magic only happens during production if the grind is perfect, and that starts with a good cook.
    https://www.allsoulsvt.com/
    sorry but the images of the workers are far too white. Not being racist or anything just doubt that anyone not of mexican descent can make a great tortilla no matter what/where the ingredients.

I don't suppose low carb or cheese taco made the list?

Those are my taco "shells" these days.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy