Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ford v Ferrari

Ford v Ferrari

Someone reached into the ol’ bag of “USA is the plucky underdog and we’re gonna whup some ass with our plucky can-do spirit.”

And it looks awesome.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I like Shelby. I like Cobras. I like Damon. That movie trailer made me puke in my mouth. Looks awful

Common courtesy you mother fuckers!!!! Link at least??

That trailer looks bad. I mean, c'mon, first, Matt Damon as Shelby. Where's the cowboy hat? The height? The swagger? It just looks like, well, Matt Damon.
    Ken Miles was cool, but, much cooler story would have been focusing on A.J. Foyt joining the winning LeMans team, coming over from U.S. ovals and dirt to "a little old country road in France".

And, it's not as though Ford was some sort of neophyte in the world of racing. Jeez.

I don't give a shit how bad it is. You simply can't ruin such an incredible story.

"...and one bespackled beautiful blue morning in 1962, in the hills outside Los Angeles, the hevans parted and the crome-plated hand of god reached down into Dean Moon's speed shop where it tapped Carol Shelby on the shoulder. 'listen you damn chicken farmer. Ford's finishin up a nifty new V-8 that would fit just fine ina one-ah them tight british roadsters. an strickly betwixt you an me, Bristol ain' gone make no mor engines for that Ace. Don't say i din't tell ya.

oh and one more thing. Call it a Cobra'

Thus, immortality is born...

Rich Taylor, Modern Classics.
    Last edited by Marshall Tucker; 06-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    "Can't you see..."

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales

Truly getting fired up for this Movie.

"A cobra is the most incredible experience in the world of automobiles and not one you will soon forget. Turbo porshe 917s, Can-Am Mclaurins, top fuel funny cars and Dragsters aside, this is IT. this is the ULTIMATE. Listen to the numbers.

A Jaguar XK, THE hot car of the 50s, will do zero to a hundred in 20 seconds. A Ferrari GTB 4 will do it in 15. A good, and I mean really sharp, fuel-injected sting-ray corvette from about 1964 or so will do it in just about 14 seconds. which is very, very fast, I promise you. Faster than most race car drivers can handle. now listen closely. A decent. not the worst. not the best. a decent cobra 427. in mild, everyday tune, will do zero to 100; and back down again to zero; in less than 14 seconds. Zero to 100 in 9. 100 to zero in 4. Time after time. hell all day and all damned night if you want it to. Think about it. While that goddamned Ferrari is still struggling up to 100, the cobra is sitting perfectly still. Brakes sizzling and pipes crackling. having already been there and back. Je-zus."

-Rich Taylor, Modern Classics. 1977
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Truly getting fired up for this Movie.

"A cobra is the most incredible experience in the world of automobiles and not one you will soon forget. Turbo porshe 917s, Can-Am Mclaurins, top fuel funny cars and Dragsters aside, this is IT. this is the ULTIMATE. Listen to the numbers.

A Jaguar XK, THE hot car of the 50s, will do zero to a hundred in 20 seconds. A Ferrari GTB 4 will do it in 15. A good, and I mean really sharp, fuel-injected sting-ray corvette from about 1964 or so will do it in just about 14 seconds. which is very, very fast, I promise you. Faster than most race car drivers can handle. now listen closely. A decent. not the worst. not the best. a decent cobra 427. in mild, everyday tune, will do zero to 100; and back down again to zero; in less than 14 seconds. Zero to 100 in 9. 100 to zero in 4. Time after time. hell all day and all damned night if you want it to. Think about it. While that goddamned Ferrari is still struggling up to 100, the cobra is sitting perfectly still. Brakes sizzling and pipes crackling. having already been there and back. Je-zus."

-Rich Taylor, Modern Classics. 1977
    Film is about the GT40 not cobra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^ shows what you know.
    "Can't you see..."

^ shows what you know.
    "The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby and his British driver, Ken Miles, who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building the Ford GT40 a new racing car with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari racing team at the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France.

"

Yep sorry you're correct.. it's clearly about the cobra .
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Thanks for that. Now I don't have to see the movie. Or when I do, I'll have background.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

brit can use google! awesome! now go learn the fucking story.
    "Can't you see..."

What connection with Le Mans, other than Ford and Shelby, does an AC Cobra have with a GT40 winning Le Mans?

Um, well, none. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Film is about the GT40 not cobra.
    ^ shows what you know.
    this

Where is OG mag GT40 when we need him!

I'm just excited someone decided to use Gimme Shelter in a movie for once...

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    What connection with Le Mans, other than Ford and Shelby, does an AC Cobra have with a GT40 winning Le Mans?
    OK. Shelby built the cobra independent of Ford, but with ford help, and talked Ken Miles into trying to race the damn thing, which he did with an awful lot of sucess. Which led ford to turning over the LeMans racing effort to shelby/miles.

It doesn't take a fuckin Einstein to see Cobra's all over the trailer and a good bit of the movie is dedicated to that part of the story. Ultimately I believe as a piece of machinery the Cobra 427 is by far the most interesting part of the story; but the point is that you simply can't segregate the two. Plus, you could walk into your local ford dealer and order a damn corbra and go zero to 100 and back down again to zero in 13 seconds all damn day and all damn night if you want to. Provided you had the balls and didn't mind dying.

You couldn't do that with a GT40. Or any other car of the time. Except maybe a turbo porshe 917 which would fall apart after doing it once or twice.
    "Can't you see..."

Yea, I suppose, bit of a stretch. Both awesome cars in their own right. Shebly was a genius.

AC Cobra, street racer, not part of Ford Motorsports

GT40, endurance racer spancered by Ford

This is a better use of ones time:

https://www.amazon.com/24-Hour-War-A.../dp/B01N0IOJT4

an incredibly in-depth analysis, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Yea, I suppose, bit of a stretch. Both awesome cars in their own right. Shebly was a genius.

AC Cobra, street racer, not part of Ford Motorsports

GT40, endurance racer spancered by Ford
    "Can't you see..."

Meh. Certainly not the best of racing films made. Bale should have been given the role of Shelby. Can't think of a good Ken Myles, but not Damon. Way over dramatised at times, and yo, what happened to all the other drivers in the Daytona and LeMans races besides Bandini, who they focused on? Myles didn't do it all himself. And doubtful the suits were such pussies. The actual race scenes were poorly filmed at times. I mean, that side to side shit and glaring at each other stuff went out with Clark Gable and Spencer Tracey. The opening scenes at Willow Springs with Myles actually shouting at other drivers was absurd.

Nice cars, though.That 289 that Damon drives at the end is an object of lust.

Rush is still #1, Grand Prix #2. This, eh, maybe top ten.

If you have Netflix, there's a decent Documentary about Carroll Shelby running right now. Certainly covers much more than this film. I didn't know he was married so many times. Seems his friends didn't either. They were like, who's she, and what happened to so and so? Man had a bad habit of asking hot women to marry him.

It's really good and interesting film

I enjoyed it notwithstanding that they glossed over much of the history, e.g., no mention of using/modifying Lola chassis and body for the GT40 Mk I, III and III. Putting the big block in that was fucking nutty. Damon did better than expected as Shelby.

I remember the Le Man 24 win in 1966. It was a big deal.