On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Silver Mtn Bike Park

Racing there for NAEC in two weeks. Looks rowdy AF. Suck the lifts don't spin during the week (except for Friday the 14th) until after the race so I can only get there to practice next Sunday the 9th.

You can just camp in any of the parking lots? Assuming I didn't get my fill Sunday for some reason could I legally pedal up the mountain on Monday?

I've never gotten hassled parking at the back of the lot by the gondola. On race weekends, lots of people do it.

I've never pedaled up, but I'm sure no one would care. It's kind of a free-for-all over there. It'll be a long climb though. And bring a good map, because there's a huge mess of mining / logging roads in those hills.

If it's a course you'll racing on, find the trail and push up it. You'll learn more.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah you can camp there. It's a killer park, super fun.

Gondola up takes ~20 minutes and the descents were taking me 30 - 40 minutes of continuous riding, however I'm slow. So definitely plan on getting to the lift first thing.

There's definitely roads you could pedal up, but it's going to be a hard earned. My GPS says my average lap a few weeks ago was 7 miles and 3400' vert on the trails. I bet roads would add some extra miles. Pedaling up the trails seems less than ideal, they are pretty steep in spots and I think it would take a special kind of self loathing to go up them.

Camping in the parking lot is OK. I’ve heard of them raising an issue over pitching tents due to the potential for getting run over, but on a race weekend you’ll see lots of them barricaded in. There’s been talk about changing the parking lot policy, but no action to date.

You can climb the roads. You’ll be climbing at the race, so consider it practice. Previous NAEC routes are on Trailforks, and easy to follow. I would strongly advise against pushing up the trails, from both safety and logistical perspectives.

The trails are a blast. Lots of steep, rooty, rocky, off-camber singletrack.

Sweet. Yeah I will be camping under my topper in my truck. No tent.

Looking at trailforks it looks like usually only one big 2k pedal transfer and then a few smaller ones per day. Although this year is only one day instead of two so I'm guessing it's gonna be a sufferfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Gondola up takes ~20 minutes and the descents were taking me 30 - 40 minutes of continuous riding...My GPS says my average lap a few weeks ago was 7 miles and 3400' vert on the trails.
    That sounds fucking awesome.

It’ll be interesting to see how the 1 day works this year. This is the first one I’ll miss, since a friend is getting married in Helena that weekend. Since I’m not going I haven’t heard the course details, but I’d expect a transfer from the base, and at least one chair 3 transfer. Pros have been riding to Kellogg Peak the last couple of years, too. That’s a beast. Gotta earn that EWS qualifier status.

I'm racing in Expert which looks to follow the same course as Pro usually?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That sounds fucking awesome.
    Yeah, the place as a ski area isn't great but it's an amazing bike park.

We should probably have a maggot bike get together at some point at Silver. (Direct flights from SLC or Denver to Spokane too... easy travel logistics.)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm racing in Expert which looks to follow the same course as Pro usually?
    For the most part, and I don’t know about this year. But in previous years there have been pro-only stages at this race. The moto trail off Kellogg Peak, for example.

Best way to pedal up is the old road up to the resort. Take S Division St to Sierra Nevada and stay on that for 7 ish miles. Roughly 10 mile climb all uphill. Watch out for cars since this is the road the employees take up and down when the gondola isn't running.

Other way is to pedal up Alhambra Rd past the cemetery to the lower part of the trail. About a 10 min easy climb.

There are some other logging roads that go up Slaughter House gultch around the gondola if you feel like exploring. Cell data sucks there so if you do go download a map.

Definitely don't recommend walking or biking up the trail before the race since the trial crews will be riding it for race set up.

You can camp on the side of the parking lot by the pump track or at the back of the lot.
    Make sure you stop at Radio Brewing. Really good beer and only $4 a pint.
    All ways look out for Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Canesfootball View Post
    Best way to pedal up is the old road up to the resort. Take S Division St to Sierra Nevada and stay on that for 7 ish miles. Roughly 10 mile climb all uphill. Watch out for cars since this is the road the employees take up and down when the gondola isn't running.

Other way is to pedal up Alhambra Rd past the cemetery to the lower part of the trail. About a 10 min easy climb.

There are some other logging roads that go up Slaughter House gultch around the gondola if you feel like exploring. Cell data sucks there so if you do go download a map.

Definitely don't recommend walking or biking up the trail before the race since the trial crews will be riding it for race set up.

You can camp on the side of the parking lot by the pump track or at the back of the lot.
    Make sure you stop at Radio Brewing. Really good beer and only $4 a pint.
    Good info thanks.

Bump for Beta... looking at heading up next week. How are trails holding up at Silver Mtn right now? Are they Dusty AF?? Any other must-do's in the area? Will be with the FamDamily and 10yr is a Bike Park Monkey, 12yr old daughter and mom are more of the XC mindset or smoother flowy DH....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Bump for Beta... looking at heading up next week. How are trails holding up at Silver Mtn right now? Are they Dusty AF?? Any other must-do's in the area? Will be with the FamDamily and 10yr is a Bike Park Monkey, 12yr old daughter and mom are more of the XC mindset or smoother flowy DH....

I haven't been over there since earlier this spring, but I would be completely shocked if the trails weren't fairly blown out and dusty. That's just kinda what happens in August.

It depends on your definition of "in the area" but Beacon over in Spokane is fun.

I'd show you a lap or 2 around Sandpoint if you want to drive a bit north.

The Graham Creek/Ridge stuff across the highway is one of the coolest/hardest/gnarliest XC rides I've ever done. Not good for kids, but if you want to go breath through your eyeballs, it's great.

And the whole family would love an out and back on the lower 3 miles of Graham creek. It's just the right amount of tech, and rolling and fun. And there's dispersed camping right down the road at the Coal Creek trailhead. We paid for a campground and were pissed we didn't just camp at Coal.

Maybe 15/20 mins down the road is the Blue to Yellow loop, it's perfect kiddo/dog/mom xc. Similar feel to Jolly Green Giant, but with lake views. There's a bunch of trail there that's not on trailforks that's easy to find and wander on too, if you want more mileage.

Have heard great things about the Canfield system out of CDA but haven't ridden. And then if you make it to Sandpoint, there's oodles of good family riding.