Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hurricane season 2019

Here we go! Today is the official start. Let's hope it's less eventful than tornado season has been.

Official list of names:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'm not too worried about Chantal, but Imelda sounds like it could be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm not too worried about Chantal, but Imelda sounds like it could be rough.
    I keep imagining thousands of shoes strewn out over the Florida panhandle.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Waiting for the 2019 Earthquakes thread started by KQ. Got to cover all of those natural disasters

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Here we go! Today is the official start. Let's hope it's less eventful than tornado season has been.

Official list of names:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
    great ! (sarcasm)

here in Houston, I've had enough; hopefully my last one. just one more reason i'm moving north when the opportunity presents itself.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

And one of these fuckers may reach class 5 and slam into a place anywhere on the east coast, all of which is lined with very expensive homes, because, by definition, waterfront property is highly valued, and a place that just a century ago had no housing, because people didnt have the means and/or weren't stupid enough to build a home right next to the Atlantic ocean, unless they fished for a living. Then everyone will cry, disaster, disaster!, and climate change, climate change!, when, in reality, storms have been pummeling the east coast for thousands and thousands of years, but now it's an issue, because stupid rich people love waterfront property (I do, too). So the 99% of schmuck taxpayers will spend billions, maybe trillions to help rebuild the homes and towns the rich own in the path of nature's fury, and it will happen again, maybe the year after, maybe ten years after, maybe fifty. But, it will happen again. Like it always has.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So the 99% of schmuck taxpayers will spend billions, maybe trillions to help rebuild the homes and towns the rich own in the path of nature's fury, and it will happen again, maybe the year after, maybe ten years after, maybe fifty. But, it will happen again. Like it always has.
    And the poor people 100 miles inland will lose their homes when for the first time in 100 years levies fail, manmade lakes suddenly put their homes 10 feet under water thanks to these slow moving storms.. Like Harvey in Houston a couple years ago. Florence and Matthew on the east coast recently too. But they weren't in the historical flood plain so can't get that cheap government subsidized national flood insurance the rich folks on the coast have..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Waiting for the 2019 Earthquakes thread started by KQ. Got to cover all of those natural disasters
    LOL! Was thinking as I posted this thread that there is no earthquake season. Funny how having grown up in Seattle I always thought it was better not to have a specific season for the local natural disaster. For some reason it seemed better than knowing when it would happen.

I was also thinking that I do post a lot about weather because I find it interesting and I might be a closet meteorologist (one of these days I'm going to take the local weather spotter classes they offer). The shear raw power of nature is amazing and humans are just stupid enough to think they can control/outsmart it. Since I've started farming knowing what's going to happen has become particularly important so I follow pages like NOAA and local emergency weather sites.

As a skier don't you follow avalanche and weather pages?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And the poor people 100 miles inland will lose their homes when for the first time in 100 years levies fail, manmade lakes suddenly put their homes 10 feet under water thanks to these slow moving storms.. Like Harvey in Houston a couple years ago. Florence and Matthew on the east coast recently too. But they weren't in the historical flood plain so can't get that cheap government subsidized national flood insurance the rich folks on the coast have..
    Well, don't get me started on Houston or some of these thousands of other places that weren't populated a century ago, and now it's all wall to wall homes and strip malls and roads and parking lots forever. The water has no place to go. A century ago, maybe some rancher or farmer took some damage, now it's billions for rebuilding in the same place where the same thing will happen again, probably in your lifetime.

Well, don't get me started on Houston or some of these thousands of other places that weren't populated a century ago, and now it's all wall to wall homes and strip malls and roads and parking lots forever. The water has no place to go. A century ago, maybe some rancher or farmer took some damage, now it's billions for rebuilding in the same place where the same thing will happen again, probably in your lifetime.
    Benny... Benny... Benny.... a century ago there was quite a population along the gulf in Texas. Sure it wasn't all paved over but still there were plenty of homes build along the shore.

How the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 Became the Deadliest U.S. Natural Disaster

^there is a great video of the deadliest hurricanes in the US on that page

Benny... Benny... Benny.... a century ago there was quite a population along the gulf in Texas. Sure it wasn't all paved over but still there were plenty of homes build along the shore.

How the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 Became the Deadliest U.S. Natural Disaster
    Oh, yeah, Galveston is a great early example of building a city in a place that shouldn't have had one. Bam, they learned the hard way, early. We could go on and on about near total lack of weather science, and certainly weather history in that spot at the time. But, after all, Texas, you know? Not the best and brightest in American history, especially then.

After those floods in Houston, somebody posted aerial pics of various locations in Houston in the 30s, and today. There was nothing there, then, except maybe cattle. You don't pave all of it over slowly, and expect it to drain well. And, it didn't and won't in the future. Hey, we have examples in the East. There's places in NJ that flood all the time because they put up huge suburban developments in the 50s with zero thought for water run off, but plenty for profit. Whoops. Fixing that shit is hard.

My point is, it's not a disaster if people don't live there, and nobody lived in a lot of these places in 1900. Florida was considered an uninhabitable, insect filled, fetid, hot swamp back then. So, a hurricane in 1901, say, would be no whoop. Now? Hooboy.

Ya, when there are more people living in various places, more people will be impacted. That's not the CAUSE of these events, 500 year floods, happening more often though. The cause of the increased incidence of these events isn't where people are living.. it's what people are burning.

How do you know that? What sort of historical records do we have of weather 500 years ago? And, in how many places? Thd Spanish just "discovered" the western hemisphere. They only could map the coasts at that time. And what sort of weather instruments did they have? Wasn't weather prediction getting on your knees and praying?

Modern meterological science didnt exist until the twentieth century, and even then didnt really take off until we put satelites up there in the 70s. KQ's Galveston killer hit with zero warning, just like that class 5 that cruised up the east coast in 1938 and devastated the eastern end of Long Island and Providence. Zero warning. So, dont talk about 500 or 100 year storms, we just don't know.

#bunnythesciencedenier
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

What "science" do you speak of?

How do you know that? What sort of historical records do we have of weather 500 years ago? And, in how many places? Thd Spanish just "discovered" the western hemisphere. They only could map the coasts at that time. And what sort of weather instruments did they have? Wasn't weather prediction getting on your knees and praying?

Modern meterological science didnt exist until the twentieth century, and even then didnt really take off until we put satelites up there in the 70s. KQ's Galveston killer hit with zero warning, just like that class 5 that cruised up the east coast in 1938 and devastated the eastern end of Long Island and Providence. Zero warning. So, dont talk about 500 or 100 year storms, we just don't know.
    I found it cool (pun intended) to read summaries of local weather recorded at the HBC forts (at I think around Moose Factory in James Bay was one of the first), going back about 350yrs. Not modern recordings by any means, but interesting nonetheless. And of course those fort locations are still rising in elevation from the last ice age. Wonder if the spanish and french had any such daily journals for meteorological data in the south?

Science-shmience..... it's all in the hands of God because yanno... he's got the whole world in his hands.....

As hurricane season starts, coastal Catholics call on this holy go-between for protection from devastating storms

Our Lady of Prompt Succor

The US Virgin Islands have two holidays related to hurricanes

Hurricane Supplication Day - fourth Monday in July - where everybody takes the day off work to pray that hurricanes don’t level the place

Hurricane Thanksgiving Day - fourth Monday in Oct - everybody takes day off to celebrate that (a) hurricanes didn’t hit or (b) they weren’t as bad as they could have been.

They used to be paid holidays.

Here where I am right now hundreds of waterfront homes were destroyed by the hurricane of '38. Because of changes in the laws and aggressive eminent domain action by the state, almost none of them have ever been rebuilt. You'd never know they existed now. It's open beach and marshland behind it, as nature intended. So progress is possible. Unless you live in the South, I guess.

Or New Jersey.

What "science" do you speak of?
    Note that urbamization is factored in..
    https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

on a related note re: predicting these storms:

Meteorologists fear 5G network could take forecasting back to the 1980s

Yeah. This is kinda scary. Current weather forecasts are really, really good, and this will throw us back to the days where the bad meteorologists jokes came from. Hopefully the FCC will remove its head from its ass, but, considering the way they handled (didn't handle) net neutrality, I'm not holding my breath.

Kinda a two edged sword. 5G will solve our rural broadband problem pretty quickly and fairly cheaply, from what I hear.