Any reason not to buy this '15 Fox 36 w/GRIP damper?

After 3.5 years on my V1 Following, planning to buy a new Offering frame since I have wanted just a tad more give in the rear, a little more reach, and a stiffer rear end from what my Following offers.

Going to transfer most of the parts over from my V1 to the Offering, but have wanted to consider a longer fork and give something a little burlier than the Pike I have a try.

Homeboy is selling a 2015 Fox 36 w/a 2018 GRIP damper for a great price: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2576198/

I'd just have to get adapters to fit my 15x100 front hub, but other than that, any reason why I shouldn't pick this up?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

He has the spacers in the dropouts for a 15mm, not sure why he's calling it 20mm

Also: the air springs in those forks that year are kind of hit or miss. Some work fine, some seem to bind pretty bad and feel insanely chattery. To the point of making using the thing pretty miserable

Not sure why he put the old grip damper in there over an RC2. That's a downgrade IMO.

Other than that, yep, cheap.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Upgrading air shaft assembly is cheap and easy, but I'm not certain that you can use the new good '19 (EVOL) air shafts in the pre-'18 forks.

He may have put the GRIP damper in there because he had a FIT4. You could check by having him give you the 4-digit code and looking it up on the Fox site.

If you are getting adapters for your front hub, why not future-proof yourself and get a boost fork? Then at least if/when you upgrade wheels, you aren't forced to upgrade your fork at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Not sure why he put the old grip damper in there over an RC2. That's a downgrade IMO.
    My guess would be that he got the GRIP cheap. But, yeah, seems crazy to drop in a GRIP damper rather than have the RC2 rebuilt by Fox. Is it even possible to kill a damper badly enough that a factory rebuild isn't possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Is it even possible to kill a damper badly enough that a factory rebuild isn't possible?
    Not really. It's just parts. I've done some pretty bad damage to them before, it's all replaceable.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

That is a 100 x 20mm axle. If changing your hub/wheels to 20mm is not an option, you can also get a $60 adaptors/axle for that fork to make it a 15mm. FOX# 820-09-029-KIT
    As other have said above, if you have a hub that is able to easily adapt to boost spacing, buy a boost fork, adapt your non-boots hub, and be future proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That is a 100 x 20mm axle. If changing your hub/wheels to 20mm is not an option, you can also get adaptors/axle for that fork to make it a 15mm.
    As other have said above, if you have a hub that is able to easily adapt to boost spacing, buy a boost fork, adapt your non-boots hub, and be future proof.
    So I have a 2016 set of ENVE M60's with DT Swiss 240 hubs (I think; I'm at work now). I can't imagine upgrading from those unless I destroy them somehow... but getting a $250-300 fork didn't seem like a huge risk.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

If you're looking for 15mm axle and better damper, I've got this one for sale for just a bit more.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2556182/

I could do better on that price, message me if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    If you're looking for 15mm axle and better damper, I've got this one for sale for just a bit more.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2556182/

I could do better on that price, message me if you're interested.
    This is what I'd do.

That is a 100 x 20mm axle. If changing your hub/wheels to 20mm is not an option, you can also get a $60 adaptors/axle for that fork to make it a 15mm. FOX# 820-09-029-KIT
    The spacers in that kit are sitting in that fork. On the pinch bolt models, which that one is, it doesn't take spacers for a 20mm. I don't know why he's calling it a 20mm if those are still in there.

Name:  spacers.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  119.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20mm-axle-assembly-for-manuala.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	284330

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15mm-axle-assembly-for-manuala.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	284333

The 20mm setups of that dropout style don't use spacers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzHsghmh9o

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The spacers in that kit are sitting in that fork. On the pinch bolt models, which that one is, it doesn't take spacers for a 20mm. I don't know why he's calling it a 20mm if those are still in there.
    Name:  spacers.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  119.6 KB
    Good spot, looks like the 15mm adapters are installed in that fork, but the wording say "I will include the 20mm maxle". So the seller is keeping the 15mm maxle and "giving" you the 20mm maxle.

and be future proof.
    that sir, is truly impossible in this industry

Am I missing something or are you just supposed to guess how much travel that fork has?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Am I missing something or are you just supposed to guess how much travel that fork has?
    Communicated with the guy, it's at 150.

I'm gonna hold off and keep running my Pike for now and look into a different fork later this summer.

Good spot, looks like the 15mm adapters are installed in that fork, but the wording say "I will include the 20mm maxle". So the seller is keeping the 15mm maxle and "giving" you the 20mm maxle.
    A Maxle in any configuration will not work on a Fox fork.