Home audio Q. Wireless signal to an amp.

So i have an opportunity to buy a couple of nice amplifiers for cheap. And I probably will grab them tomorrow, but what I want to know, is how do I get the signal from my home stereo to one of the amps wirelessly? I want to put one of them out back to have music in the backyard that matches what is in the house. Don't say Sonos, or some bullshit like that. Whatever I end up with should be way better, and a fraction of the price. But I need to take my pre amp signal, and send it via bluetooth, or wifi, or something, and send it to my amp which will be on the back deck.

Any ideas?
    a couple o these maybe?
    https://www.cdw.com/product/Aluratek...g!318008088452!
    sigless.

Or a couple of Chromecast audios. You can sync them which is pretty cool.

Need a music subscription though.

I want the signal to go from my receiver, which has CD, Turntable, and Radio, to be able to send wireless signal to an amp. So a BT tx and rx, but the rx has to have an output that will work with the amp. I am picking up a couple of JBL 6230 amps tomorrow.
    sigless.

Klipsch gate may work. Sounds like it is both tx and rx (you need to buy two of them though)
    Klipsch 1063275 Gate Playfi Gateway Wireless Multi–Room Hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5B793S..._Jle8CbT09YQSM

Distance? Through walls?

Anything bluetooth might struggle.

If you have good wifi coverage that'd be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This actually gets pretty complicated. If you just want to send a receiver output from your amp to a bluetooth transmitter which will then send it to a bluetooth receiver, which will then connect via it's output to an amp, no problem. Many solutions for that. You'll need two devices, and quality will be dependent on the codec that it uses for sending the stream over bluetooth.

However, where it gets complicated is when you want all your amps to play the same thing at the same time. So the music inside the house is the same as outside and synced. Pain in the ass, because all the device latencies are different. Even with matching devices. It won't be quite in sync, in my experience. However, there are some devices that advertise that they will sync the streams between two bluetooth receivers - for example, this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...dp_ob_title_ce

I've not used it so I don't know how well it works.

What I ended up doing is using my PC as my primary audio output. You are dependent on your audio card for quality, but you can input anything you want to that - tape deck, record player, whatever. There are then a number of solutions for output. I started with wired rca cable running everywhere, then move to chromecast audios and mediamonkey running them, which allows them to be grouped into gangs that are all synced.

Finally I gave up on all that, uploaded all of my library into google play music, bought the subscription, and have google devices all over the place - some stand alone speakers, but some that just plug into the back of amps in various rooms and allow me to play the stream with high quality equipment. I still use the mediamonkey setup for some stuff.

Not sure any of this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Distance? Through walls?

Anything bluetooth might struggle.

If you have good wifi coverage that'd be better.
    I stream from my computer with an Airport Express and an RCA cable from that to my receiver. I just found out that Apple discontinued them (apparently) but there are some on ebay for cheap or some other wifi extender should work fine if it has an RCA jack.

edit: but I guess that doesn't answer your question, sorry.

I understand you don't want Sonos, but this issue is pretty much why they exist. Bluetooth is unreliable, poor-quality sound, and limited in range. It's much better if you can do it over the wifi network (assuming you have a reliable network). Airplay should work in theory, but I've personally found it to also be pretty unreliable. Sonos has a product that's reliable and easy - hence, it's expensive. The downside is that you have to use their streaming services.

Their Connect product seems like it would work - I think you might need two, though (one on the stereo end, and one on the amplifier end). So yeah, pretty expensive. Not sure what other options are out there that are reliable though.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I do have a powerful wireless router in the living room that would work out onto the back deck. Furthest it would need to go would be like 40 feet or so. I think wifi is probably a better solution. To deal with the latency in the system, I would need to have a way to adjust the delay at the primary source, the reciever. I don't think mine has capability to do that. (Old Nakamichi stasis unit). Not interested in any apple related stuff. Not really interested in a the sonos style speakers, I want to use the speakers I want to use. And if I want to use a different speaker, un plug it and hook the new one up. Speakers are fun to swap around.
    I'll do a little investigating on the wifi tx rx side.
    sigless.

Audioengine.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adap...audio-adapter/

I have two of these to feed music from my PC to my main system, and a patio system. They work great, and the signal is way cleaner than Bluetooth.

For the patio system amp, I use a $30 Lepai (all over ebay).

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Not really interested in a the sonos style speakers, I want to use the speakers I want to use. And if I want to use a different speaker, un plug it and hook the new one up. Speakers are fun to swap around.
    Agreed! I also prefer to "roll my own." The good news is that you don't have to use Sonos speakers to use the ecosystem. While it ain't cheap, it IS hands down the most rock solid system I've come across when it comes to inter-connectivity, reliability, and ease of use for every person in your house to be able to use. This will not only bring in online streaming to your older system, but you can plug in your amp's pre-outs the Sonos's RCA inputs, that way you can use your turntable, CD player, whatever. Then have another unit on your OTHER amp to receive that line-in signal. So yes, you'll be spending some $$$ to go this route, but it really does work better than anything else I've come across. I have a pretty high end old school amp in my home with a kick ass CD player and a couple nice turntables. I have the Sonos Connect plugged into the amp, so then I can stream that music to any number of "zones" around the rest of my home with zero latency or problems. My wife even loves using the system and that's saying something. I'm actually just about to bring in two more zones now, one for the deck I'm building outside (4 speakers), and one more for my master bathroom (another 4 speakers most likely). I have a Sonos Play:5 for my kitchen, but it's the only standalone Sonos speaker that I have. The ecosystem is great to use overall.

Here's the Sonos unit I'm talking about, the Sonos Connect: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/connect.html
    Denon also has a well regarded version (the Heos Link) in case you don't want to go the Sonos route: https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-link

Here's the back of the Sonos Connect:

And the back of the Heos Link:

Will either of those accomplish what you're trying to do here?

Those would probably do the trick. Basically a wireless distributing pre amp.
    I am going to try to ahem "roll my own on a budget" more research needed.
    Snagged two jbl 6230 amps today for cheap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190531_211657.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	284387

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

^^
    Badass! I approve! Seeing what you're working with now, I would definitely highly recommend a proper wifi preamp solution like the Sonos, Denon, or even Yamaha (WXC-50). That way, you can easily just control the volume from the app on your phone or preferred device, but even on the unit itself for overall ease of use. Again, not the cheapest but you'll definitely be happiest long term.

I used to be big on the Chromecast Audio ($35 each!), but as per usual with Google, they abandoned the product this year. Jerks. I liked that one. I have a couple of them, but they never did prove as solidly reliable as my Sonos or Yamaha setups.

I know what I'm suggesting ain't cheap, but think of it this way. If you ever swap amps, speakers, whatever, you can still continue to use the wifi preamp no problem. Super versatile. Decide you want to toss in a wireless speaker later on down the road? You're good to go! I just picked up one of these bad boys for myself to tie into my existing setup:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html

I fried the amp and 2 back patio speakers about a month after moving in this new house. They were "included" with the house, so essentially free. I think I played the speakers too loud, and they started to fry, and took the amp with them.

Replaced the amp with the Sonos AMP Connect, and the speakers with the Bose outdoor 251 speakers. The house was already wired with speakers throughout, and all the speaker wires run through a 12 channel ohm limiting switch. This setup rocks.

I was not a huge Sonos fan until I discovered their amps. Their new AMP unit(shown above) is $599 , and it is 125 watt/ channel vs my 55 watt AMP Connect. You can plug HDMI directly in, plus feed a line out from your stereo setup, and directly hook up a turntable. I will be getting one eventually. For now, my setup works well.

You have to use their app browser, but I have Pandora, Apple Music, plus line in capability right on my phone. When you search in the app, it searches all of your music subscriptions for results. It is pretty damn slick. Expensive, but like was said above, I don't see the possibility of ever outgrowing it.

If you add a couple of those Connect units, you should be able to play different music in different areas, or sync them all together.

I'm shelving the back patio idea for a little bit. I think what I am going to do is get a big sub for the living room, and use one of these jbl amps to run the sub, and one to run the main speakers. Need some xlr cables.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Or a couple of Chromecast audios. You can sync them which is pretty cool.

Need a music subscription though.
    Plus 1 for chromecast audio. $30 audio streamer, put one at each device and you have something like Sonos but way cheaper. Trying to Bluetooth or WiFi transmit audio from a CD across your home is stupid, it’s 2019.... Either stream it. Or play vinyl and run wires.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I'm shelving the back patio idea for a little bit. I think what I am going to do is get a big sub for the living room, and use one of these jbl amps to run the sub, and one to run the main speakers. Need some xlr cables.

sent from Utah.
    That's doable! Just bridge the amp and use your receiver (you'll need a proper AVR to do this right) for the bass management. Then you can DIY your own sub and finish the cabinet however you want. Something along the lines of this: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I fried the amp and 2 back patio speakers about a month after moving in this new house. They were "included" with the house, so essentially free. I think I played the speakers too loud, and they started to fry, and took the amp with them.

Replaced the amp with the Sonos AMP Connect, and the speakers with the Bose outdoor 251 speakers. The house was already wired with speakers throughout, and all the speaker wires run through a 12 channel ohm limiting switch. This setup rocks.

I was not a huge Sonos fan until I discovered their amps. Their new AMP unit(shown above) is $599 , and it is 125 watt/ channel vs my 55 watt AMP Connect. You can plug HDMI directly in, plus feed a line out from your stereo setup, and directly hook up a turntable. I will be getting one eventually. For now, my setup works well.

You have to use their app browser, but I have Pandora, Apple Music, plus line in capability right on my phone. When you search in the app, it searches all of your music subscriptions for results. It is pretty damn slick. Expensive, but like was said above, I don't see the possibility of ever outgrowing it.

If you add a couple of those Connect units, you should be able to play different music in different areas, or sync them all together.
    I’ve been running a related Sonos product, the Connect Amp, to drive my B&W speakers and it works great. (Love music; not a complete audiophile)

Wired speakers directly to Connect amp for stereo set up to play music. Also has line in for sub (but I live in apt and haven’t installed yet)

Will add sub and a Sonos Beam sound bar for TV and I’m pretty set. Don’t want/need surround right now

See pic - could just be modem, cable box and connect amp with speakers n sub. Easy as pie...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8400.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	284417

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That's doable! Just bridge the amp and use your receiver (you'll need a proper AVR to do this right) for the bass management. Then you can DIY your own sub and finish the cabinet however you want. Something along the lines of this: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ProductDetails

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, I had a decent setup for a while with a car audio amp running the mains and a sub. Far superior to the reciever integrated amp. This should be badass, and provide all the power my cantons could want.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.