Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Do you even want to know them?
    Sure, I know many of them. I don't judge people on where they are from, what they do for work, and other non-sense. I judge people based on their actions. I live in a pretty weird and wonderful place that is changing fast. More people are moving here with money but that money is not necessarily trickling down to the working class. That, combined with the fact that our community is getting more divided socioeconomically gets my hackles up when the economic theory that people's money benefits everyone is thrown around. Not necessarily.

Our subdivision has about 250 homes. Our internet options are DSL or satellite, neither is considered high speed. The HOA attempted to negotiate with Comcast to install fiber. $1.5million for the privilege of paying something like $125/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    On the flipside, there are plenty of "locals" who idea of connection w/ the community is getting their daily drunk on together and complaining about how they need to work 3 jobs and hustle side gigs to the point of exhaustion. At this point, I can practically size up the stage of disillusionment by the first 2 min of conversation and a look in the eyes. It sort of boggles me - people who moved here for the access to outdoors and related activities - slowly drift into permanent wage-slave servitude just to hang on; they barely ever recreate anymore. To me, it ain't working for them.
    Yep. In their defense, they probably do get drunk outside in the summer.

I've varied from normal local jobs to fully remote, partially local partially remote job, commuting to city for school, commute to city for job, partial commute + partial remote, normal local job, and partial-local partial-remote again. All 17 years while living in my community where I have volunteered the whole time.

The partial remotes who live somewhere else half the time are the ones with no community attachment. The full remotes who do the digital nomad thing with a home base have little community attachment. The remotes who live in their own community most of the time tend to be great contributing community members in my limited local experience.

I thought about living in Silverton in the past. I still think I'd like it but I don't think I could swing it without switching to a less fulfilling fully remote job.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Some people are Eskimos, some people ain't. What do you think about walking the dog at -30, not wearing a t-shirt before the middle of June, having pretty close to zero services and conveniences available less than an hour away?

I love living in the mountains but I'm perfectly happy if my afterwork routine is shoveling snow for an hour, microwaving some leftovers, reading for a bit, and going to bed by 10.
    Yes please. Someday I'm leaving this hot ass desert and moving back to CO.

Ah yes, another "Where should I move" thread devolves into putting every mountain town resident in the same box. We just need Bunny to show up to really lay it all out for us, I'm sure he's driven through Silverton once, so it probably a uber-local. I'm sure all those losers in Silverton are dying a slow death, working 4 jobs to pay rent on their trailer, and never get to even enjoy the place. Good thing most people live in a city with "Amenities".

I manage the Silverton Dental Cosmic Cabal.

We have linked up the towns fillings to provide 15 petabits per second through fiber orthodox Coptic cables connected to a server farm of finned virtual servers with dark scapulars brushed aside to alleviate the crappy snowpack and directional angst in one of the abandoned mines.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

But how do you monetize?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    <snip> I'm sure all those losers in Silverton are dying a slow death, working 4 jobs to pay rent on their trailer, and never get to even enjoy the place.
    Like this poor bastard.

SpaceX Starlink could help solve some of the connectivity issues. Otherwise, you're looking at one of the incumbents, a startup, or a co-op. Comcast quoted us $10k+ to connect a building in South Boston, we went with a local startup using line of sight wireless. This is happening in VT: https://www.ecfiber.net.

When we were looking at relocating, Fraser Valley was really tempting...RMNP and WP/MJ are right there, along with the lakes and Hot Sulphur Springs, and you can get to the city for a show, etc. Not having to get on a plane to travel to family won out.

this thread went down the tubes in a very classic way
    I have so much to add but been working all weekend so who knows what the point is
    honestly don't give a fuck what anyone else says cause i'm nearing 25 years of mountain town living, I was so young at 19 so happy with life, and thought anything was possible
    well that was all bullshit and lie now that I look back
    you guys can all go fuck yoursleves if you know what its really like cause I doubt it
    seen so many people come and go, must of them show up all happy and smiley and thinking they found nirvana
    most of them all leave burnt, drunk, unhappy and abused broke

couple pointers
    trust fund, slight mental illness helps, drugs and alcohol addiciton is good, it will help worsen the mental illness
    steal, beg, borrow, stab people in the back, lie, lie and lie cause deep down inside you are the best, the baddest, the coolest, the more you lie the more you'll belive it and so will everyone else
    chances are you'll make it a season or two then want to go back home
    chances are you'll get some real locaal cred and make it to four or five years before bailing
    meanwhile the rest of us just post on the internet or one mans junk keeping everyone in check

On the flipside, there are plenty of "locals" who idea of connection w/ the community is getting their daily drunk on together and complaining about how they need to work 3 jobs and hustle side gigs to the point of exhaustion. At this point, I can practically size up the stage of disillusionment by the first 2 min of conversation and a look in the eyes. It sort of boggles me - people who moved here for the access to outdoors and related activities - slowly drift into permanent wage-slave servitude just to hang on; they barely ever recreate anymore. To me, it ain't working for them.
    solid work ^^^ pretty much hit the nail on the head

FWIW, Silverton has killer fast internet via forethought.net over fiberoptic from Durango.

It's still not like a conventional ski resort town either, so there's a paucity of brahbros and mouthy wannabes.

I have heard that rent is relatively expensive now, like over $500/month since lots of the available rentals have gone over to vacation rentals.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Like this poor bastard.
    Exactly. Not everyone keeps the perspective. For every one person approaching 'Shockleeness' in Silverton, down the hill there are 500 recent Fort Lewis grads who will be gone in 5 years max despite their version of trying. There are plenty of people who have balanced lives - some of them (gasp) telecommute. I try not to hate on people who make it work for them - start with money...being scrappy...bringing money...being smart....being lucky....liking simple things...marrying right.. whatever or just being good at life. Most are good citizens..as are the poor sods who slow cooked themselves into 3 jobs and less and less playtime.

OP: if you are set on Durango and you'd need to sell the potential Silverton house to make that happen - that's a risky prospect. I think you could do better with more upside, prospects and travelling logistics elsewhere. If you like Silverton tho - all bets are off. I like Silverton and if that new mtb area takes root - it'll be interesting to see if it had a lasting effect on the lifestyle there.

^^^Yup^^^

Real talk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    mouthy wannabes. .
    Hey...hey now...

“Mouthy wannabe” is essential entry-level training for my current position: typey hasbeen.

Thanks everyone. Lots to chew on here.

To answer a question, the reason I was asking about Silverton specifically was because I was trying to think outside the box. Durango at the moment is too pricey for us and renting is not fun. I know the standbys are Hesperus and Mancos and Bayfield but was thinking that if we could beat all those on price and live in deep snow close to great skiing, why not? We are from Montana, so cold is not an issue, and one job is remote; the other is unemployed, so a commute to Durango, which indeed sounds fun only for the first week, is theoretical at the moment. Health is not an issue, but the desire to get out of the market at the time of our choosing is. The DOMs for homes in Silverton is not great, and I know that DOMs are a statistic that is easy to manipulate. And based on what I have heard here, it sounds like it is not, and never ever has been, a seller's market there.

Bumping, cuz I wanna know what happened to the OP

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Like this poor bastard.

FKNA FTW