Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Wife’s grandpa called it circling the drain.
    I work in an e bike shop and we get a lot of old people (70+) buying bikes, one old guy said now he could ride until he's CTD. I'd heard it before but my coworker had to ask, he wasn't sure if he should laugh or be appalled. Old timer had a big grin.

I looked at Silverton before buying my place in South Fork. Went over and dug snow pits to compare snow packs. Silverton has some big lines but above tree line is hard to get in play. I have been to Silveton a half dozen times now .Everytime I left better snow than I found there. I am happy I did not buy there. Silverton is a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Early snow and the biking is done but skiing is not happening. For what I paid for a 3 bedroom house 2 car garage you can get a trailer in Silverton.
    Durango has turned into the place you are leaving.
    I am happy in South Fork meets all my recreation needs. Also good location to travel to other places in the Southwest. Only thing there is very little in terms of social events.
    If you are looking for something like Silverton I would go Rico. Easy trip into Cortez for shopping and road tripping to Southern Utah. Once the boulder is removed.
    I would not want to be tied to Red Mountain Pass for my recreation. Especially winter.
    off your knees Louie

BFD and Viva...quit blowing up my retirement dream spots. Cloud Cult, I don't know what your life story is so I'd not sure what would work for you. That said, Silverton is about as deep in the mountains as you can get in Colorado. You can't change that fact.

Some people are Eskimos, some people ain't. What do you think about walking the dog at -30, not wearing a t-shirt before the middle of June, having pretty close to zero services and conveniences available less than an hour away?

I love living in the mountains but I'm perfectly happy if my afterwork routine is shoveling snow for an hour, microwaving some leftovers, reading for a bit, and going to bed by 10.

You are hitting on one of my theories about Colorado and the mountain west. How many places are there that you would want to and can afford to live that are within one hour of a decent paying job?

"one hour"
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It would help to understand cloudcult’s motivation to live in or near Durango. Does he need to move there for a job? Or is it that he just likes the town and would eventually like to live there or someplace similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    "one hour"
    “Denver to Durango in 4.5 hours.” Never forget.

You are hitting on one of my theories about Colorado and the mountain west. How many places are there that you would want to and can afford to live that are within one hour of a decent paying job?
    Said it before, will say it again: there’s a huge trend toward career path jobs that allow you to work anywhere with decent internet and reasonable access to an airport for the occasional business trip.

Or you can limit yourself to the logic of your post above.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Said it before, will say it again: there’s a huge trend toward career path jobs that allow you to work anywhere with decent internet and reasonable access to an airport for the occasional business trip.

Yep, decent internet connection and you're good to go.

Mountain towns and solid internet are not words often used in the same sentence. I'd love to pull it off living in one but even here in Jackson, which is pretty well built out, we have 10+ down days a year with substantial internet outages. That isn't going to fly on a deadline. Throw in the travel time increase when you do need to show up at an office and it becomes a harder sell.

Remote jobs also only make up 2.8% of the workforce (and that statistic only applies to jobs where 50%+ of the job is remote - so true remote work is even smaller). While that number has doubled in the past 15 years or so, outside of web development and a few other select occupations, it is still very very rare.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I loved Durango in the 90s, but no longer really care for it. The place is increasing becoming tragically hip, and too many "Bro-Brah" types. Fucking nauseating!

I ended up in the Pagosa Springs area, about 40 minutes east of Durango. Fucking love it here! Home prices are increasing, however, and properties that are well-priced sell quickly, a fair number to Texans and Okies.

I'm about three and a half (3.5) hours from both Taos and Telluride. Wheeeee!
    Pagosa is where I want to end up for the end run if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Pagosa is where I want to end up for the end run if not sooner.
    Yeah but the sulfur smell.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

and that's why the mountain dreamtown isn't a place with decent internet access and reasonable access to an airport.

nothing says "I beat the ratrace" like a base lodge filled with remote workers "living the dream" of a different cubicle scenery.

anyways back to "huge" trends of upper class white privilege.

Check out the big brain on Brad! Do you "remote" bro? Congrats, make sure you let everyone know about it when you show up at the coffee shop in small town USA. Maybe buy some real estate with your two times the median annual income. Don't be surprised at the prices your friendly local contractor charges to fix up the place. Ya know...cost of living and all.

Mine, and many other's professions are not compatible with this type of arrangement. Bring all the smug you want, it is TGR...we are all doing it. I'm sure you can find some type of "High Schoolers Looking for Career Advice...How to Live High on the Hog in the Mountains" thread. You'd kill it with your life coaching skills.

Oh yeah...three things Silverton isn't is into huge trends, decent internet and reasonable access to a major airport. But hey...you knew that right?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Yeah but the sulfur smell.......
    I wouldn't want to live "downtown", but when I want to soak these old muscles I'll make do.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Check out the big brain on Brad! Do you "remote" bro? Congrats, make sure you let everyone know about it when you show up at the coffee shop in small town USA. Maybe buy some real estate with your two times the median annual income. Don't be surprised at the prices your friendly local contractor charges to fix up the place. Ya know...cost of living and all.

Mine, and many other's professions are not compatible with this type of arrangement. Bring all the smug you want, it is TGR...we are all doing it. I'm sure you can find some type of "High Schoolers Looking for Career Advice...How to Live High on the Hog in the Mountains" thread. You'd kill it with your life coaching skills.

Oh yeah...three things Silverton isn't is into huge trends, decent internet and reasonable access to a major airport. But hey...you knew that right?
    The salt is real. Plenty of douchebags out there, but would you rather they pour money into your community or a city? I guess you could always rely on the classic population of doctors, lawyers, car dealer owners and sales folks. Clearly Corp folks are way worse.

pour money into your community or a city?
    Wanna expand on that? I'm a contractor so I'm frequently sucking on the tit of the second home owner, most of them are nice enough and pay with a smile. The "local" who telecommutes is pretty much a guaranteed cheap skate douchebag with zero connection to the community. Many residents get zero benefit from the remote worker.

Hey, sorry to hear that. Not sure why you'd move somewhere to work remotely and NOT interact with people. Reminds me of living in SF when half the people were working in SV and it was absolutely dead during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Foggy's bitterness kind of validates the point though
    Maybe rural folks should stop voting for people willing to fuck them over for a buck. I still live in a ruralish area, grew up in one, the number one killer of those areas is small mindedness. Very little willingness to invest in community resources, lots of grousing about taxes, shithead sales people and economic vultures running things because they profess expertise through acquisition of money which people take hook, line and sinker.
    It's a damn shame.
    Then he blames remote workers,which are one of the only ways the community will get an influx of cash. Make sure everyone keeps shopping Walmart and Amazon, it's sure to help.

The telecommuters I know here are pretty invested in the town, non-profits, volunteering, etc.

Also, from what I've heard the internet in Silverton is actually really good. "Silverton is the only town in rural San Juan County. The City is splitting the costs ($121K) of a new publicly owned fiber-optic loop with the County and apparently the State is offering a grant for the balance. As we emphasize time and time again, cities that move from leasing multiple lines from the incumbent to owning their network radically increase available speeds while cutting costs."

I could live in Silverton for sure, but it would be weird, that much I know. It's a town in identity transition- mining died and it isn't likely to come back, but I don't know how many people in that down want to embrace tourism/recreation either. So they're just stuck in limbo. At least that's what I've seen and heard from friends who live or lived there.

Don't confuse bitterness with reality. What my community needs, like many others, is jobs that pay a living wage. The service economy that pours the telecommuters their lattes and tunes their bikes, isn't the answer. We are kind of stuck in the middle where our proximity to Denver really makes is challenging for many types of businesses.

Don't confuse bitterness with reality. What my community needs, like many others, is jobs that pay a living wage. The service economy that pours the telecommuters their lattes and tunes their bikes, isn't the answer. We are kind of stuck in the middle where our proximity to Denver really makes is challenging for many types of businesses.
    What you need is some zip lines and mountain coasters to bring in vast sums.

Invest in internet infrastructure and services that offices could use. We're not able to go after those due to limited land and no town water/sewer.
    Even for manufacturing or other jobs, you need meaningful technical infrastructure to be connected to the global market. All it takes is one exec wanting to work out there and the other stuff in place and you start getting satellite offices.

Remote workers are living in the town, spending the money they earn remotely and not clogging the roads or hogging services. wtf do you want foggy? They're buying groceries, gas, getting their grass cut and their houses painted. And they have some money to do it. the problem is they don't interact? huh? Do you even want to know them?

it's an oldskoolers rumble in this thread

The "local" who telecommutes is pretty much a guaranteed cheap skate douchebag with zero connection to the community. .
    On the flipside, there are plenty of "locals" who idea of connection w/ the community is getting their daily drunk on together and complaining about how they need to work 3 jobs and hustle side gigs to the point of exhaustion. At this point, I can practically size up the stage of disillusionment by the first 2 min of conversation and a look in the eyes. It sort of boggles me - people who moved here for the access to outdoors and related activities - slowly drift into permanent wage-slave servitude just to hang on; they barely ever recreate anymore. To me, it ain't working for them.