Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

EAT A BAG OF DICKS AND READ THE MULTIPLE POSTS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT ALREADY ON THIS FORUM YOU FUCKING JONG FROM EPICSKI
    by D-day and the OG poster crew

im diggin this tune right now, dudes gonna be the next derius rucker i tell ya

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GJGcIUa1dWQ

Cracker, king of Bakersfield.
    https://youtu.be/dkvmzJkHx6E

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    im diggin this tune right now, dudes gonna be the next derius rucker i tell ya

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GJGcIUa1dWQ
    Can someone tell me what happened last week? Hootie & the Blowfish played on The Voice. I finally got used to him as "Darius Rucker" and then he and the band get together and play on national television.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I grew up with my Dad listening to old school honky tonk (Waylon, Willie, Merle, Highway Men, George Jones, Conway Twitty, etc) and loved it, but was way more into my shit to truly appreciate it... I absolutely hate the new pop country, but have come enamored with some of the new school honky tonkers... Gary Allan is a little on the popish side, but he def puts some solid country out...! Since the band Staind falls second only to my all time favorite band TOOL, Aaron Lewis is killing it for me and dig all of his country stuff he has put out...

Also like:

Old Crow Medicine Show
    Kasey Musgraves
    James McMurtry
    Asleep At The Wheel
    Doug Sahm/Sir Douglas Quintet
    Marty Stuart
    Dwight Yokam....among others
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Don't much care for him but the song is a classic:

Did someone say James McMurtry?

How bout some Greg Brown

Or Jerry Jeff Walker

I’ve enjoyed listening to the Steve Earle tribute album to Guy Clarke.

Some very good songs in this thread. Some mediocre ones too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Some of the ones I would have posted are already up, here are a few fill-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’ve enjoyed listening to the Steve Earle tribute album to Guy Clarke.
    Thanks, I hadn’t heard of that one. Need to give it a listen and drink a Mad Dog Margarita down at the Texas Chili Parlor.

You may already know, but Steve’s first gig was playing bass in Guy Clark’s band. Towns Van Zandt was always hanging around with Guy in those days, too.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    mamas don’t let yer babies grow up to be cowboys

Kind of a cliche tune at this point, but it does have one of my favorite lines of any country song in it:

"them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him. He ain't wrong, he's just different, but his pride won't let him do the things to make you think he's right."

I like country. I like most of the old stuff mentioned already, but there's actually a lot of really good stuff coming out today too. Undertow mentioned some of it. I'll add some more. I'm more a fan of honky tonk/rock adjacent country than really neo-traditionalist stuff slower, but there's a lot of that coming out now too if that's more your thing.

Turnpike Troubadours:

Whitey Morgan, more honky tonk:

Coulter Wall, more of a traditionalist:

Dean Brody, has some fun narrative songs (this has a brief Lindi Ortega cameo, who is also good):

Graham Stone Music, one of my brother's college friends whose music has been getting some good press lately:

"Hard on Equipment" by Corb Lund hits home pretty good for me. This same post may be buried in the other thread too but fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Thanks, I hadn’t heard of that one. Need to give it a listen and drink a Mad Dog Margarita down at the Texas Chili Parlor.

You may already know, but Steve’s first gig was playing bass in Guy Clark’s band. Towns Van Zandt was always hanging around with Guy in those days, too.
    Sure. I learned about the album here, which includes some good history: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-to-guy-clark

I have a photo somewhere of my oldest kid as a toddler (he's now a teen) standing in the grass at hardly strictly bluegrass with Guy Clark playing on stage in the background. When we used to go to that music festival, i always made a point to get that kid in listening distance of all the old timers, even if the kid would be too young to remember.

Not sure why I didn’t post this one first time around.

Standing On A Rock: Ozark Mountain Daredevils
    Trudy: CDB
    Country Honk: Rolling Stones
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A current fave.

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"