Sunday in or around Santa Ana?

Got a wedding in early June. The kids (between 5 & 12) will be along. Will have pretty much an entire Sunday to kill before a late flight home from John Wayne. Looking for suggestions for fun sights / activities to do with the kids that don't require a long drive? Not real interested in Disney.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Day game at Angel Stadium? June 9th against the Mariners..https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BoCdjoQAvD_BwE

Discovery Science Center?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PeZgJ9qvAny101

The Beach? Huntington Beach is not that far from Santa Ana, get off the Beach BLVD exit and head west
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Wax Museum and Medieval Times Restaurant

Maybe a drive to Laguna Beach- great shops, places to feed, and nice beaches.
    Caspers Wilderness Park ain't too far away- can do the nature hikey thing with the kids.
    In downtown Orange, there's a nice Cuban restaurant with some outdoor seating. Really not much else to see or do in Orange.
    If you like Viet cooking, visit Little Saigon in Garden Grove. Plenty of food options there.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Maybe a drive to Laguna Beach- great shops, places to feed, and nice beaches.
    Caspers Wilderness Park ain't too far away- can do the nature hikey thing with the kids.
    Laguna Beach would be my suggestion over HB too. Crystal Cove State Park and Laguna Coast Wilderness Park are right there as well if you want to do a hike. Nice beaches are right across the highway. Then drive back up the coast to get back to the airport.

Was leaning towards Laguna Beach but Discovery science center looks cool also. Keep the recs coming, please!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Kids might like Balboa Island in Newport Beach, there is an arcade and other things to checkout. Might be too June gloomy for getting in the water or hanging out in the sand, but if not, Newport or Laguna Beaches are nice. Laguna canyon traffic can be bad, so keep an eye on that if going to airport after...or go PCH.

Laguna Beach is nice but the downtown has turned to standard tourist t-shirt district. The main beach area where the sports courts are is like a prison yard with indigents and homeless. Great for swimming though and Just north of the main beach is really nice.

Newport Beach is cool to look around. Day use at Balboa Resort would be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Kids that age will love the zoo in San Diego, and get the chicken oysters at Crack Shack after.

Any of the OC. beaches are pretty nice. Rent boogie boards or enroll the kids in surf lessons? Newport on the peninsula is my fav for beach and waves. Laguna for snorkeling and tide pools. Santa Anna in and of itself sucks. Lots of other options, but since you are coming from the mountains, the beach seems like the logical choice. Disney is always a choice, you may not be interested, but ask the kids. I like Disneyland even though I have been there 50 times, especially with kids.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Train to San Diego and Uber to the Aerospace museum, or the other museums in Balboa park and ya, the zoo is a big hit with the kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Crystal Cove SP is awesome. Good drive from Santa Ana down the 55 to Newport Beach, then PCH south to the park. Numerous parking areas and awesome beaches to explore.

If time allows it would work well to continue south on PCH to Laguna Beach, then take Laguna Canyon Road back to the 405 to the airport. Las Brisas is a sweet semi-upscale Mexican restaurant on a cliff overlooking the ocean, in North Laguna so super convenient to where you'd be coming from.

Laguna Beach itself can be pretty trafficy on a summer weekend so if time is tight I would just do Crystal Cove and reverse my steps back to the 405 and the airport.