Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Swimming Pool Water

It is that time of year again where I see Swimming Pool water Tanker trucks all over the roads.
    Seriously.

WTF!?!
    Is this a north East thing? Just a Fairfield County thing?

Living in SoCal where tons of people have pools, never saw it.
    We had a pool at our house in High school in Utah and we filled it with a hose and drained it in the winter

Even all my years in various hotel jobs I never saw "Swimming Pool Water" delivered

Enlighten me oh Dentists with pools and pool boys.

That's a new one to me. I suppose it's already properly chlorinated so you can start swimming immediately?

Sounds made up
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

water is wet
    watch out for snakes

Maybe places where tap water is expensive?

Seems like I remember hearing of a place where the fire department would fill pools but if there was a fire nearby and they needed it they might come take the water back...

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sounds made up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPW.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	283991

https://www.mermaidpoolwater.net/#

Probably some city code etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We have a pool. Sometimes evaporation happens faster than natural replenishment. We also have a well that cannot handle anything more than a family of 5 uses. 5,000 gallons of water is less than $200 delivered. It is fresh out of a local river or lake that they have permits to pump from. No chemicals have been added.

Crazy stuff.

People did this in my town growing up (in New Hampshire), but the town had some brutal usage multipliers on the water bills so if you filled a pool through your water tap on the main, you ended up paying double what you would if you just paid the water truck guy to fill it instead.
    Live Free or Die

Very popular in the Southeast and all around Charlotte as well. In a prior life as a home builder we used the trucks for a couple of reasons. First of all the finish of nice pools when done with plaster or pebble tec needs water somewhat quickly to cure properly. When it's real hot it cure too fast so getting water in quickly is better. Also the municipalities charges a sewer charge for water that goes through the meter equal to the amount that you use. So in theory, your water bill in equals sewage out. By bypassing the meter you don't pay for municipal water or sewer. In the end the cost is the same or cheaper and it fills up much more rapidly obviously. The water is not pre-treated and really comes straight out of hydrants around here.
    I see these truck all over and they appear to be national as well

http://www.aquaduckwater.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    People did this in my town growing up (in New Hampshire), but the town had some brutal usage multipliers on the water bills so if you filled a pool through your water tap on the main, you ended up paying double what you would if you just paid the water truck guy to fill it instead.
    Hey, I'm in NH.

Town water is not really the norm, and water is less plentiful than one would think. Can be tough to get much yield out of a well. Just paid $10K to get mine dug deeper, after it went dry at 500 feet. No way I'm going to try topping up my pool from the tap.

I thought it odd also. But I asked the pool filler upper, and he said that filling a pool "stresses" the well (most folks are on well water here in Fairfield County) so folks on well water often just have a tanker of water brought in.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

See them around DC all the time. They fill them from hydrants. I wouldn't want to fill a pool from my well. I guess people on city water are just paying for convenience? And it might be close to a wash financially if you're paying high water rates, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's a new one to me. I suppose it's already properly chlorinated so you can start swimming immediately?
    Or pre-urinated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Or pre-urinated?
    The water in the tanker isn't, but the driver handles that part...

So it turns out that if you're on public water (at least in my jurisdiction and I bet most places) you pay 2 charges with water: water use and sewer charges. Hydrant water doesn't get charged sewer, so the pool guys get their water cheaper than you would get it from your faucet.

So the pool-filling guys get cheap water and mark it up to make a living, and homeowners get reasonably-priced water and convenience. The whole thing seems pretty reasonable, actually.

https://www3.montgomerycountymd.gov/...ookieSupport=1

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    I thought it odd also. But I asked the pool filler upper, and he said that filling a pool "stresses" the well (most folks are on well water here in Fairfield County) so folks on well water often just have a tanker of water brought in.
    Makes sense.
    most of the properties that could handle a pool are outside of city water, still makes me shake my head.

Around here you can buy heated water to fill your pool

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Very popular in the Southeast and all around Charlotte as well. In a prior life as a home builder we used the trucks for a couple of reasons. First of all the finish of nice pools when done with plaster or pebble tec needs water somewhat quickly to cure properly. When it's real hot it cure too fast so getting water in quickly is better. Also the municipalities charges a sewer charge for water that goes through the meter equal to the amount that you use. So in theory, your water bill in equals sewage out. By bypassing the meter you don't pay for municipal water or sewer. In the end the cost is the same or cheaper and it fills up much more rapidly obviously. The water is not pre-treated and really comes straight out of hydrants around here.
    I see these truck all over and they appear to be national as well

http://www.aquaduckwater.com/
    This^.

It would take me three days to fill, with a hose off my well and the water contained some undesirable metals.

jgb@etree Guest
    It's faster, and most towns around here (southern Fairfield county) calculate sewer taxes based on water usage. If you have to drain your pool to do work, it doesnt take a week of running the hose to refill, and once the water and sewer bill are calculated in it's cheaper to have your pool water delivered via tanker

Fairfield is on well water?! That Greenwich, right? Lolz
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Dentists, LOL someone has to fix your 3 teeth.

In Sacramento, it was illegal to use tap to fill a pool during the drought. Not cheap either, a small pool is 15,000 gallons. I'm guessing it's one or the other if not both.
    Hello darkness my old friend

My mom uses one since she has a well and wouldn't want to run it dry. She filled up her pool about a foot with the hose once and it took several days too.

jgb is getting warmer, in nh my town bills water usage based on whether you are hooked up to sewer or not. im at the end of the water and no sewer = $15 to fill up a 16x3.5 ft round aka welfare pool