Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Roommates?!! I think I saw a news report a couple years ago of advertisements for student to rent small walk-in closets for something like $600Cnd/mo. And there was a waiting list for applicants.
    I was talking to my neighbor across the street and his kids moved to San Francisco after college. Daughter sleeps/lives in brothers closet and the room mate has the 2nd bedroom. $3,500 a month for a 2 bedroom 1 bath dump in the city. Unreal the kids will live that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Some Negative Nancys in this thread. It is doable. Whether it sucks or not would depend entirely on how resourceful you are, and the quality of the friends you make.

People talk like Vancouver suddenly became unaffordable... it's been unaffordable for 20 years, yet non-rich young people still find ways to make it work. Just like Seattle, the bay area, etc.

But the guy above who mentioned the border is right. The very first question is can you get a student visa (or whatever they call it) and will it allow you to work?

I would think UBC would help with whatever visas are needed. Again, its been done a million times. UBC has always had a ton of international students especially at graduate level. When you are a student it is easier than if you're some adult showing up at the border wanting to work.

Vancouver has always had a good rental scene as well. Tons of houses are split with a separate suite on each floor and it is common especially among students and younger working types to split a multi-room house or apartment.

Quick look at Craigslist shows some 2-bedroom apartments in the $1600-2000 range without even looking too far from UBC. Or looking at shared accommodations - rooms in a house or apartment looks like there are some for as little as $400/mo and lots in the 600-800 range. So if you can handle $800/mo rent there should be lots of options.

How about some recommendations wo any kids. Leaving them at home. Pulling into town thurs-mon for a wedding.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    surprised he hasn’t tried to fix it
    well ever since they paved the Barnet highway its been all down hill SO not sure how anyone would fix Vancover

my must do has always been get out, leave for a better quality of life but the RE prices are falling since they closed some loop holes on my people and the transit which i never ever took when I lived there is very fucking good

If you fly into YVR buy an all day transit pass at the convenience store in the basement of the airport and take the LRT into town, I stayed at a cheap hotel right on Engrish bay in the west end and it was great

I have driven literally everywhere in Vangroovy and using the transit is a way better idea
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If you fly into YVR buy an all day transit pass at the convenience store in the basement of the airport and take the LRT into town, I stayed at a cheap hotel right on Engrish bay in the west end and it was great

I have driven literally everywhere in Vangroovy and using the transit is a way better idea
    Good tips. I'm there later this month and years ago walking around I thought the west end was cool.

Yeah I recommend a cheaper hotel in the westend which is not part of a big chain, I stayed at the english bay hotel, also check out the Sylvia, they are on the water, kind of old and fairly cheap

Good for long seawall walks into stanley park, the art gallery downtown, the science center, lots of restaurants, close to buses which hook up with the LRT, take the little ferries that get you across to granville island, lots of things to do within transit distance or even just walking

Sylvia not exactly cheap in advance anymore but the gf will like the ivy.

We stayed in gas town long ago in what seemed like a total dump with no shower but us was really ok. Shower down the hall.

I wish the Cecil was still in business..

No car so maybe stay Near lrt too.
    Last edited by 4matic; 07-31-2019 at 12:00 PM.

back in the day you would take an expensive cab from YVR usually driven by a PHD grad from UBC but now the LRT is awesome

the buses and LRT all hook up real neatly to one another, soi you would take the LRT in form YVR and then probbaly the davie street bus to engrish bay

gastown was revitalised back like 40+yrs ago but its always been right next to the downtown eastside/skidrow and I would give that area a pass unless you wana score some fentynal & shoot it up in an alley

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    gastown was revitalised back like 40+yrs ago but its always been right next to the downtown eastside/skidrow and I would give that area a pass unless you wana score some fentynal & shoot it up in an alley
    True. It's an interesting place to walk around during the day, and there are some cool restaurants. Just be warned that dining al fresco you can expect some druggies to panhandle you as you're eating dinner. I was eating at one establishment, watching two guys jump into the restaurant dumpster looking for food scraps.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

that area has always been sketchy but i think it might be worse nowdays people opennly selling drugs in front of the police station and they have a safe injection site down there which saves many lives

I used to have to do service calls down there if the other guy was busy, a lot of criminal lawyers, I dated a girl from legal aid for a bit, the 2 best peeler bars were also down there #5 orange and another one I forget, only went in the sunrise hotel once which must have been the worst it had out door carpet on the walls I sat with my back to the wall and planned an escape route

Got some fancy sushi on the waterfront at Miku.

Got some Korean BBQ at Shabusen

Had a nice bike ride at Grouse mtn w the wife.

Nice little party at the art gallery.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Having breakfast in the West End at the Sylvia. Good stuff. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1566499233.165956.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	292038

Vancouver and Victoria must do's

Did tourist stuff 5 days in Seattle>Victoria>Vancouver with gf. What she wanted.

Downtown Seattle was great. Took LRT from Airport. Stayed at The State Hotel which was perfect and awesome. Public Market has good food; go early. Smith Tower was ok.

Victoria is pretty beat. It’s a transitional city. Butchart is nice but inconvenient. Highlights were Beacon Hill park and parliament building. Bus to ferry was easy and cost $2. Don’t stay fancy hotel here. Not worth it. We stayed Royal Scot with free shuttle. Perfect. Restaurants were mostly dark and dank so we tried Empress which was also dark. Food there was marginal at best.

Vancouver is big beautiful city and so thinks the rest of the world. It’s crazy crowded. Granville Island is shit. Suspension bridge is also crap. It used to be free? Not my call on either.

Public transport in BC and Seattle is pretty excellent. There is only one gas station in all Vancouver but overnite parking on Robson can be had for $7.50 cdn.

The ferry rides are great fun for newbie.